Happy New Year All! I Need Sum Advice on Mods Plz!

2006! Happy New Year All!

I just joined and I own a red Starlet 1.3 Si 1998 (not sportif ;:rolleyes: my 3rd car after a ford fiesta(urgghh) and a Toyota Corrola 1.3 XL (sweeto)

Since I got it 3 months ago I have done a few things to it and cleaned it, although she was in good nick when I got her, only done under 25k ;b I never realised starlets were so nice until I got mine ;b The word Glanza does ring in my head but hey, its cool to have a nice running motor you have made sweet from scratch for yourself right? ;b

Soz if it seems little but here goes:

Starlet S badge debadged ;b

TTE Rear Spoiler

TTE Sports Silencer/Backbox

Black/Silver Tribal Seat Covers

TRD Neck Cushions

TRD Headrests

Tribal Steering Wheel Cover

Leather/Chrome Gear Knob off a 2004 Corolla T-Sport

15" Mak Blade Alloys with 195/45/15 low profile Kumho Ecstas

Standard Suspension

Momo Black Grand Prix Pedal Covers

Freshly Installed Wind Deflectors

Still no ICE (u know what Im talking about ;B) still just a cassete deck and no rear speakers yet, aint had the chance... but plz watch this space...

Hope this gives you an introduction of how my starlet is doing, pretty standard, not even SR spec yet, but getting there, its just the start.

My main question I have, sorry if this is in the wrong forum or anything, are induction kits and suspension. I will start a new topic on proposed suspension to save any confusion later today ;b!

This has been discussed quite often before, but I have q's on specific kits so hope thats OK and would like starlet owners who have these kits or can recommend better kits even cold air feed for their 4EFES/4EFTES please let me know as that would be great ;b Budget is £200 ;b But my engine is the 4EFE, so it has to fit ;b

Induction Kits im considering:

Apexi Power Intake (cool technology with the middle of the cone, but no complimentary induction pipe for the price...

http://www.funkystyling.co.uk/item_detail.php?prodID=1665

Tenzo Induction Kit (looks basic, heard they are loud?)

http://www.icetronix.com/index.aspx?page=d...formance&id=420

Tenzo R Induction Kit (looks sweet and comes with induction pipe, but would she sit ok in a 4EFE engine bay OK? looks more for the glanza engine bay?)

http://www.icetronix.com/index.aspx?page=d...y=engine&id=990

I did check out Fensport but nothing caught my eye ;b

I am also trying to break away from using a K&N, altho a typhoon would be nice ;b

And am also staying away from HKS/Blitz, heard sponge types can melt and steel cones take in too much warm air, no offence if anyone has them ;b bet they work class for you, just got ideas of pros/cons u know lol! But if you can highly recommend them, plz say so ;b

Hope this is OK for now!

Plz check out my new topic on proposed suspension (the debate goes on) which I will post later 2nite after I take sum new pics of the car with the wind deflectors on, cuz u can c she really needs to be slammed!

Thanks for reading! Its great to b part of the site, everyones got so many ideas its great, its totally different and unique ;b!

Plz check Extreem Ep Rides for the pics. Just getting used to this ;b

Something awesome I found, soz if anyone has seen this before but I am new so plz check this out http://hardcore.ep91.com/video_menu.html , a few video clips of glanzas and gtturbos racing and specs etc. Not to be missed! The vid testing the 94 EP82 and the TRD version is hilarious and great at the same time, the japanese drivers ;b Let me know what you think about that too.

I look forward to some replies soon!

Cheers!

Peace from Joz!

Hi SiCaln

Thanks for the compliements on the alloys ;b! Altho Tenzos really do look awesome ;b Its best to be happy with what you chose and stick to it ;b

I have some decals/badges etc but am gonna wait a while to get some ideas.

I do believe that the Apexi really sounds like the real deal for both filtration and hp gain after looking at http://tuffkingacx.users.btopenworld.com/ from an earlier post. The norm price I can find is £110 for the apexi, anyone now a better price from a uk supplier plz pm me or reply ;b cheers!

Only thing is, some people say that they got flat spots when running a cone filter.

I am upgrading to an induction kit for the small hp gain and the induction roar and to make the engine breath better by having less restriction.

I did have a K&N filter charger sitting here earlier today, but it got sent back to england for a refund due to me wanting an induction kit. I havent even tried it out due to my induction desire and thats the only way you can be refunded £46 if its unused! Part number was K&N 33 2634 for reference, part 33 2094 is a long panel filter and will only fit older starlets or maybe the US as I got that part wrongly sent to me before.

What induction kit or air flow filter system do you have Si?

I have read that some people on the forum have reinstalled their oem airboxes and using filter charges instead because of the guaranteed cold air and flatspot free?

Also it seems that from what people said, the position of the air cone in the engine bay is irelevant, do you suggest I just remove the airbox and fit the apexi into the air pipes current position, would it work fine? Or would it be better to get an additional induction pipe and heat shield?

What could you suggest I do with the air flow sensor and the oem cold air feed pipe at the front once induction kit is fitted?

So anyone with an Apexi Power Intake fitted, please let me know how you got on with it, that would be ultra helpful.

Soz for all the q's, I really am new to this.

I look forward to any replies soon

Cheers!

Peace From Joz

Hi Si

Thats fair play staying standard, good luck finding a minted glanza!

If Scutch reads my previous post, please reply to it ;b

Cheers mate

I did mention in the topic for advice on mods, but this is ongoing so I will post more topics on other mod subjects soon.

Cheers

From Joz

never fear, i am here!! B)B)

im not a total expert, but i have tried quite a few different filter arragements on my car, so this is my advice...

with this inlet manifold,

picture00182.jpg

(the stock one thats on your motor)

i have found it is best to stick with the standard airbox with a uprated panel filter fitted. if you fit an aftermaket cone filter you will get a horrible flatspot until you reach 2500rpm, and as with all arrangements on that inlet manifold you will run out of power by 5000-5200rpm the sound is deep and gruff though.

if you fit this manifold,

bay.jpg

jdmmani.jpg

(jdm spec mani fitted to the bug eye corolla 4efe engine)

it is a benifit having a cone filter, it pulls stronger with a cone filter fitted. it will start power at about 2000rpm which gets stronger thre higher up the revrage you go, and pulls right up to the rev limiter!! :D

i have tried a ractive (foam hks style) and apexi filter on both and the apexi rules all.

what ever you do, do NOT ditch the rubber intake pipe from the airbox to the throttle body... i did and you immediatley notice a lack of power, if you have a close look at the pipe it goes from large at the airbox end, to smaller at the throttlebody end, this is the only explination i can come up with why power is lost!! :rolleyes:

i got my apexi off a seller called 5400rpm off ebay, it cost me £45 including postage, altho i needed to make up an adaptor to fit it to the intake pipe, so i'd take it to powerflow or something and get them to make you up a pipe to bolt it to.

sorry for the long post!!!! and i hope that makes sense!!

Rich.

yeah i did, it had a little more bottom end, but it took a little while longer to reach higher revs and kinda run outa power just before the limiter, so i prefered it with the apexi on... altho i know that geo and wylo will disagree.

Rich.

Hi Scutch

Thanks for the useful info, a lot to take in but I think I understand more now ;b

I am gutted because I just sent the uprated K&N filter back to k&n this afternoon ;b!

Everywhere I read says that the airbox system restricts the engines breathing, but it does guarantee heat protected cold air flow. It is however the standard air filters fault that not enough air is being sucked in I believe? Does the uprated filter give any noticeable sound? I have no tacho unfortunately, but the cluster on ebay looks sweet, off topic but does anyone know if the starlet tacho cluster will fit directly into the non-tacho cluster starlet,anyone attempted this before?

I still like the idea of the apexi technology, but its seems tho that its not as simple as buying the Apexi, removing my airbox and fit the apexi on is it?

Please clarify a bit more, it would be appreciated as I had my heart set on the Apexi ;b such as the air flow meter (what u did with it when u had the cone filter on?)

Also anyone else using just a cone filter with or without an induction pipe, please let me know how yours is going.

WhiteStarlet was talking about the bug eyed corrola manifold, sounds tasty but I dont have much clue to its benefits? I am really looking forward to doing something with the air flow, but I want to do it right.

I was going to post a suspension topic but it will have to wait til 2morra ;b

Not to worry, it will be posted for sure as Induction and Suspension is my project right now and some ICE ;b

Heres a pic of the wind deflectors I had put on today! U can only see the drivers side, soz if the pic is naff but it got dark quickly 2nite lol! Please check it out and let me know what u think!

Cheers

From Joz

Hi Gerard

The dude you are looking for the wind deflectors is on eBay user id petes_parts.

It seems he has not listed any for the 3 door 96 onwards starlet which are the ones I got! They are made in australia and sent from UK, and are both screw on and adhesive.

At the moment he has only got the 5 door listed. Just email him on ebay if you want them, easy.

9.99 + 7.90 P+P bubble wrapped (huge long shaped box u get in the mail lol)

A steal as they are normally more than this I believe.

Looks the mutts and would look ace with a small personal decal or two I think ;b

Hope that helps man!

Hope someone can give me some more induction advice ;b

Cheers

From Joz

ok mate. no problem.

ok, on a larger engine car or a turbo car inproving the intake and exhaust side of the engine will greatly improve performance, but with a small low powered n/a engine there will be little improvement.

removing the air box and puttin a cone filter on should give a little more bhp, but it will be right at the top of the rev range where it cant really be used, so sticking with a standard airbox on a small engine will retain driveability. i.e. the torque will be there all thru the rev range, where as with the cone filter it will be gone untill a higher rpm so in a way is wasted. altho you get a great sound!!!

your best bet for improving the standard set up is the corolla intake manifold. if you like a high revving engine then stap on a cone filter too. it is by far the best modification i have done to the car. i know a few people will agree too.

most of the higher bhp 4efe engines had this manifold fitted.

ok, now on to the apexi. the one off ebay comes with no neck, so you will need a fitting kit. i made one myself, but you could get any exhaust place to make one up.

in regards to the airflow meter, i took the strange plastic bottle off the bottom of the intake pipe and used that as the spot for the a/f meter. i just wrapped some rubber round it (an old bike innertube will do) and tightened it in with the existing clamp.

sorry for the essay!! :rolleyes:

any other questions, just ask!!

Rich. B)

Hey man, I've ordered an apexi from the same ebay seller as Scutch0 and Powerflow have said they'll do me a custom induction kit for it, hopefully somethin nice and shiny!! At the mo i have the K&N panelon in the airbox and i have to say that compared to standard its a rather noticeable improvement. HKS is a wet filter and gets a poor write up, and fensport do the blitz one but its way too expensive...and fensport dont seem to be liked on this site. Im with Scutch, Apexi + powerflow fit + JDM mani is the way to go it seems...or at least thats the way mines goin lol, we're all different!!! :rolleyes:

Phil.

Hi Rich

Its good to know other starlet fans burn the midnight oil too!

I have decided I am after the Full Apexi Power Intake Kit (110 quid includes fitting bracket) and an Injen Heat Shield both from funky styling. But before I get these I have a few more things to ask, Im a bit of an essay king myself so ditto ;b lol

I do understand now the difference an induction kit makes in a larger engine or turbo car such as the glanza.

I have no idea where to get the bug eye corrola manifold and who to fit it, if I ask my toyota dealer they wud probably look at me funny and ask what the hell is for lol ;b

But I sure am interested in it, and its proven so I guess nothing to lose and more to gain, you can always put the old one back can't you? But please confirm that...

But I am sure they can fit the manifold for me (toyota dealer), I guess it would need to be professionally done?

Last thing is, you said that the power would only come from high rpm, and all before that would be a loss in, or uneven torque and flat spots which i have never experienced. The question is would me adding just the apexi and the heat shield make my car run worse than standard driveability wise? I know you said that there would be uneven torque which again I havent experienced.

Cheers for the ever so helpful info man! My 200 quid induction fund has to be spent wisely lol ;b And yea I know, I should have kept the k&n filter charger but it is 40 odd quid towards the induction kit which helps.

It would be cool if you could reply.

Much appreciated.

From Joz

Hi Phil

That custom induction kit sounds special ;b Lucky you man!

Lol, I am beginning to think its not easy to decide...

K&N panel filter and oem airbox for driveability and full torque like scutch says or

Apexi Induction Kit for sweet induction roar, less torque at low rpm/flat spots.

Its so hard to decide ;b

From Joz

well, you no!! im usually on here till late!! :rolleyes:

good for you on the full apexi, it will be a bit easier to do yourself.

ok, well pretty much the only place your gonna get one of these inlet manifolds is a jap car breaker, pick up a auto exchange/exchange & mart from your newsagents and have a ring around, they are normally at a pretty reasonable price, the site owner here (enzo) found me mine, and it was posted to me for £50.

fitting wise, its dead easy. altho if youre totally not confident with a spanner then et a garage to fit it, any garage can do this for about £30ish i'd imagine.

toyota will rape you if you go there.

ok, if you fit a induction kit to the standard manifold you will experience this large flat spot to begin with, try the air filter on it and you'll see what i mean.

the only way to run a induction kit on a n/a starlet without creating big flatspots in the rev range is (in my opinion) to fit the corolla inlet manifold. you will loose a tiny bit of bottom end, but this is between 1500rpm and about 2200rpm, but after that it is a rocket.

sorry if anything is still unclear, if it is then dont hesitate to ask!! B)

Rich.

Hi Rich

That is great info, thanks!

I will check out the bug eye corolla manifold, but if anyone on the site can hook me up with one or have supplier info please let me know, it would be MOST appreciated! The part number would be useful, and my local toyota dealer is not too bad, they fitted my TTE backbox for me ;b

I have TTE lowering springs ordered from them too, but for topic sake I will start that in another topic etc. So people who have or have had TTE lowering springs please check out my suspension topic asking for advice on specific springs/kits so I can hear you out ;b

One Q I have for you Rich is, by replacing the standard starlet manifold with the bug eye corrola one, will it effect the engine or car in ways of not being able to handle it or anything like that in time?

Any probs occurred while using the new manifold, because if it was like a rocket how come you removed it ;b It seems you are way happier with the standard airbox and uprated panel filter. And you can always put your old manifold back in right? I dont think the low rpm will be missed?

Look forward to hearing from you soon man.

Cheers

From Joz

no worries mate.

One Q I have for you Rich is, by replacing the standard starlet manifold with the bug eye corrola one, will it effect the engine or car in ways of not being able to handle it or anything like that in time?

Any probs occurred while using the new manifold, because if it was like a rocket how come you removed it ;b It seems you are way happier with the standard airbox and uprated panel filter. And you can always put your old manifold back in right? I dont think the low rpm will be missed?

as si said, the corolla has the same engine in 1.3 so it'll be fine.

sorry mate youve lost me, it still is like a rocket as its still fitted!!

yeah, its a totally reversable process.

Rich.