steering wheel shake

• 2 weeks later...

Warped discs will only show up when the brakes are applied. It's common sense. Yes I have had many warped discs, I own a garage and change many discs a week due to warping, all of which are micrometer measured. Explain to me how a warped disc can cause a wobble when freewheeling?? Unless the disc is distorted on the hub mating face (never happens!) then it's theoretically possible LOL

I've had a warped disc cause a vibration through the wheel, hots discs in puddles dont react very well lol, was so bad i couldn't turn the wheel a full turn by hand!

I cant see how measuring a disc with a micrometer would show anything as the warp wouldnt cause the disc to get thicker or thinner, unless you mean use a DTI to check for flatness?

thanks for the replies guys, its not the wheel balancing or the brakes being warped. its whilst driving i can feel it in the steering wheel its like the wheels are wobbling but i think satyrs could be right because i can here the cv joints but not all the time now and then.

i've sent it to get fixed so i should find out what the real deal is with it soon i'll keep you posted thanks again.

Can be loads of things, ive found it in the past to be the actual tyres warped across the tread. Also driveshaft balancers worn. Most common is wheel weights fallen off or not balanced right. Warped discs can cause a constant judder but normally only whilst braking unless they are really bad.