FFS!!!!! stripped thread on cam cap

can be done in situ but be very carefull with the metal splinters when drilling as u know urselve they will destroy your engine is the fal in

thats the bit that conserns me. fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuckkkkkkkkkk..... really cant be arsed taking it off, but looks like i am gonna have to. think its gonna be sold soon, getting fed up of always fixing it. had it about 4 years and its spent 3/4 of that time blown up or broke.....

il see what i can come up with. will have to got to the engineering shop for a helicoil. think il just go for the mask it to death and be very careful. it does sound extreme, but its half stripped anyway, so wouldnt be a biggy to whip it off.

the joy of living down south. got nothing up here, not close by or mobile. have 1 machine shop and 1 reconditioner/small machine shop. the machine shop needs the head on the bench, and the other place would do it in the car, but cant get the car to the shop as my landy is now off the road, and the golf wont pull the transporter.

its not a good bit to take a pic of. its the front right hand rocker /cam cap bolt. might just change the head over. i got a couple more that can go on, or finish port and polishing the head i have started and get it rebuilt and slapped on. i dont have the heli kit, but would be confident enough to do the job. still needing to find out the thread pitch and size, as i dont have a thread gauge

guessing you have fastened the head down to the block ?

be patient and take it to the guy who said he can do it on the car !

i have done a few head bolts tht have been stripped before, this is just a cam/cap carrier so once it is repaired it should be fine !

• 2 weeks later...

got this fixed. took the car upto the machine shop and they did it outside whilst still loaded on the trailer. picking it up tomoz night.

i had removed the cams to nip up the head bolts as the gasket was weaping slightly and was just refitting them and , ping, it went. first time i have ever stripped a thread fitting the cams. been on and off enough times, lol. maybe that was a cause tho, not sure, but alls good now. hope to get it back together at weekend :D