Manual gearbox and shafts wanted

When i had my 95 up for sale I had easily over 20offers to split the running gear from all over the world won't be an easy task finding one at all the majority of them seem to be autos which are relatively worthless. A lad from Germany offered me 1k for the gearbox alone shipped.

I was trying to get a box, transfer box and rear diff off a lad in N.I last week, was waiting on measurements for a pallet then he stopped replying and dropped off the map lol.

Someone else must have snapped it up instead fs gutted.

First spares id seen for sale ever :/

Why don't you just get one made. Surely you could have a custom job for less....

A ep91 box is common and a custom one is 2k. A custom ep* 5 I reakon your into 3grand. Could modify another cars running gear but unless you have a decent work shop with all the tools paying someone fabrication costs is crazy

There's no difference in engines just the gearboxes its a simple conversation fix the gearbox on attach a clutch slave and pedal and run shifter lines to a Manual shifter but actualy finding a ep*5 manual box is dam near impossible

The ep*5 box is what makes it 4wd rather than sending power to the 2 front wheels it sends it also had a transfer box attachment that sends it down to the rear wheels aswell. Engines can be changed but gearbox/ running gear there two different things you can fit the normal box but then your just left with a common fwd starlet ha

Edited by _shaun_

Must be a way of modifying it to use the original box or the 4wd splitter and but use the manual part of the normal engine. As said I'm far from a mechanic and have no experience or concept of the auto setup. But there just has to be a way of making it work. I mean that said, I know autos are crap I would never have one, but really? Is it that bad to have an Auto 4wd starlet? I mean personally 130 bhp is too little for 4wd but even then.

Anything can be done with enought money but its just not cost effective todo it would be more cost effective to just transplant a. Different 4wd running gear totaly.The ep*5 starlets are extremely rare and very expensive builds even to start with a manual. I searched 2-3 years looking for my 3 door manual in that time I've seen prob a hundred auto ones.

Generally people building the 4wd starlets are true starlet nuts looking to build the perfect car which for almost everyone doesn't involve an old auto box system that's why no one really wastes time importing them

To be honest I don't even know what is involved. I've never looked at how an auto actually works. Presumably though it would be easier to just fabricate a manual engine into the car?

To convert an auto isnt normally that tricky but when its 4wd it can be. 4wd autoboxes are pretty complicated and not compatable with manual ones. (Maybe a tuning company could do something im not gonna say its impossible but near enough)

To convert a 4wd auto starlet to manual you ideally need the manual box and transfer box which looks like this

20130914_184455_zps28f3d109.jpg

If you cant get a manual box then i 'reckon' you could use the bell housing off an OEM LSD box which look like this.

98a8920ea1ef71be530368c11db6ea56_zpswnmf

The transfer box looks like it would bolt on.

But then obviously youd need the 4wd front diff, which looks like this.

DSC00396-1_zpsbovg6xet.jpg

Which looks insane compared to a normal fwd diff. The crown wheel on the 4wd diff looks physically larger in comparison.

DSC00392-1_zpsjdyjiw8x.jpg

So youd also no doubt need the 4wd pinion shaft, to match the 4wd crown wheel. Then fit that lot into a normal fwd starlet box, bolt it to the OEM LSD bellhousing and bolt it to the transfer box.

All speculation but id like to think thats possible so i can do something when i no doubt blow my 85 box to pieces :D

1st pic is mine rest are taken off this site.

All of these things. Together are complicated. But broken down....

​They could be scanned using a 3d scanner. And blue prints made and an engineering shop could manufacture up the individual pins. I know chaps that have made their own gear pinions for their home made cnc lathes.

​Going from the principle that you have something to go by then I reckon there are other ways. yes expensive but when there simply isn't any about what can you do!

All of these things. Together are complicated. But broken down....

​They could be scanned using a 3d scanner. And blue prints made and an engineering shop could manufacture up the individual pins. I know chaps that have made their own gear pinions for their home made cnc lathes.

​Going from the principle that you have something to go by then I reckon there are other ways. yes expensive but when there simply isn't any about what can you do!

Suppose engineering shops and stuff is an option but then its mega bucks.

Another way of converting an auto 4wd starlet is importing a 4wd Toyota Corolla / Corsa / Tercel and stealing bits from them. Theres a recent thread in the 4wd section where i was talking to a guy about it.

Id do that option if i had to.

How about a e series gearbox off something like a celica gt4, with a modified c series bellhousing and driveshafts made from regular starlet shafts with e series cv housings on the ends to fit the diff?

How about a e series gearbox off something like a celica gt4, with a modified c series bellhousing and driveshafts made from regular starlet shafts with e series cv housings on the ends to fit the diff?

This has been done before i believe although the 3SGTE was used aswell as the box and transfer box. It was dropped in an EP95 and mated to the prop.

Problem was the front and rear diff ratios didnt match and a mad combo of different size wheels and tyres had to be used front and back.

This has been done before i believe although the 3SGTE was used aswell as the box and transfer box. It was dropped in an EP95 and mated to the prop.

Problem was the front and rear diff ratios didnt match and a mad combo of different size wheels and tyres had to be used front and back.

i recon my suggestion is feasable, a custom bellhousing wouldnt even be that difficult to fabrcate. Youd just need to chop the 3sgte and 4efte bellhousings up and weld the halves or flanges or whatever you want together (easier explained physically than with words lol), giving thought to lining the clutch assembly and the starter motor n shit all up. You could use the rear diff from the same donor car, and youd end up with a pretty tough 6 speed at the end too!

i recon my suggestion is feasable, a custom bellhousing wouldnt even be that difficult to fabrcate. Youd just need to chop the 3sgte and 4efte bellhousings up and weld the halves or flanges or whatever you want together (easier explained physically than with words lol), giving thought to lining the clutch assembly and the starter motor n shit all up. You could use the rear diff from the same donor car, and youd end up with a pretty tough 6 speed at the end too!

Like the idea, although the full rear celica drivetrain setup would have to be used as it uses a different setup to a starlet 4wd and the two diffs arent compatible. The starlwt uses an old axle style setup.

20130826_162122_zps25ff85f8.jpg

Whereas the celica uses a newer style setup.

fc601f2bd3a7e846e029b7a324d7fb0a_zpsfuoy

Would love to see it done tbh, Geo said he was hoping to get round to doing it. Would have loads of pros like LSDs, better suspension, disc brakes etc.