Starlet Car PC Project

So for those of you who are interested. Here is the Car PC Project.

I'm using a Raspberry Pi Model B+, a credit card sized computer that is used for programming on. It's a fully fledged Linux based operating system called Raspbian. It does everything you would expect a normal computer to do, except this only costs £35. It also allows you to tap into the boards pins so that you peripherals such as rotary encoders, FM chip models and the likes. This nifty little computer may only run a 500 Mhz clock speed but it can still run full HD videos and play games like quake.

AA59B1B3-F2E2-4954-BD28-30407EE8227E_zps

BC2DBDFB-E7B0-4B5B-B825-C3BC57C19225_zps

4734EAFF-310D-4ADB-AF26-E2C431A0FF0C_zps

DAE4C84F-BEA4-402B-81B4-5DA7E112B2BB_zps

7BC7B56E-65FF-48E8-8195-70E2F7E7251A_zps

399776E2-1A5D-4A4B-9EF5-3CF0F568ED4F_zps

IMG_3283_zpsaf9fd96c.jpg

IMG_3284_zps21297af3.jpg

IMG_3285_zpsdbd6d698.jpg

IMG_3286_zps80171302.jpg

IMG_3287_zps555a2289.jpg

IMG_3288_zpsb6d5c6eb.jpg

IMG_3289_zps5668bcf6.jpg

I've combined the raspberry pi with a £25 GPS device and using 'Andrei's' operating system I've been able to add in an open source satellite navigation program.

The raspberry pi is not capable of RTC (real time clock). When you turn it off, it will boot up with the last known time. Data gleaned from the GPS device on ttyACM0 can be used to update the Pi's real time, and bypass the fake RTC.

Amongst this bag of goodies, and not shown here, is an FM module chip that I've been able to install. As well as using songs already installed on the Pi, I wanted to be able to tune in to FM radio. This breakout board allows me to do just that.

As said two rotary encodes are also plugged into the boards GPIO pins to allow me to turn the volume up and down, and also select songs.

I've been able to extend the USB ports selection from 4 to 11 by using an external USB hub. This will allow you charge multiple devices via usb, as well as plug in memory sticks and play songs/games from that.

Although the not shown here, there is also a web browser should you need to use it.

I've been able to configure the Pi to accept internet connection via your phones connection (tethering). By using preexisting service program, Dhclient, I can get my phone to assign the pi a LocalIP address and start routing internet traffic. This can be used for RSS feeds directly fed into KODI and displayed in the media center.

The sky is literally the limit here, and I'v eonly begun to scratch the surface, you expect more updates as time moves on with this project. Currently limited by a slow clock speed and an ARM processor. It's not yet possible to run a Windows machine on the Pi (not that you would want to, Linux is far superior, lightweight and thus faster).

IMG_3290_zps98846a79.jpg

Can change the theme so that it's a little more 'Touch screen' friendly. PS checkout my rocking Toyota Logo :D

IMG_3291_zpscdecf97d.jpg

IMG_3291_zps80b9abac.jpg

It's hard to hold it all together a take a shot. But it basically says Music Programs Shutdown on the right hand side. And Videos Navigation and Radio on the left. The settings is on the bottom and the time is up the top. Bitchin right :D

If you're interested then watch the video for how it's setup.

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bl4UwCYSdKs&feature=youtu.be

Let me know what you think. it's not finished yet.

All the pieces were hand made. No CnC machinary. Had to train drill out the screen and file down. TOOK HOURS!

If you guys are interested it's not my idea. I thought hey wouldn't be cool to install a pi in my car. And found someone who has done all the work!

Checkout Engineering Blogspot diy. There is a tutorial all there for anyone who wants to do it. When I started it was really hard. But now he's made it just and install. It's really easy now!

Yeah its massively overkill. I have got a blue tooth module for the pi. Again not shown here. But I could easily pair my phone to the pi. Not sure what I could do. Maybe read text messages and that's about it.

Yeah I think it's more that I could. Not sure i'd trust the sat nav on the pi lol. But it's nice to have something that will play movies/songs and games lol.