snapped a stud bolt, help

Has anyone got any advice on how to get a snapped stud bolt out? I was doing a great job today servicing my v, oil filter was a bit of a pain to do, would not budge at first, cuts All over my hands lol, then I went on to do my Thermostat which needed doing, one nut came off fine & one not so fine, the nut just snapped off at the thread, the only good thing I can say is there is enough stud to get some mold grips on it, but my worry is if I try to loosen the stud out it might snap off completely then its a drill out job. What's the best thing to do? Should I take it to a garage & leave it to the professionals? But then again they might milk it and make it a big job.

I feel your pain :)

If you can get two fresh bolts on you might be able to get the stud out and find a replacement to put back in. Plenty of plus gas on there to loosen things off.

I guess those bolts were pretty rusted up and by the sound sof the oil filter you still have the aircon in :) You could do with a cup wrench so you dont rip your hands to bits.

Yeah very weak stud, there is no stud thread to put nuts on the stud & yeah my v has aircon, I don't think it has had a service in a long time, it's booked in for cam belt & water pump Monday, the car has only done 82000km same owner from import 7 yr ago bought it off a 57 yr old lady lol, stuck on her drive not getting used so you can imagine everything's stuck tight on it, brakes are naff to.

Edited by mart1

Worst case just replace the other half of the thermo housing, it unbolts from the block. You will want a new seal for that though. But means you can try and get that one out first and if you fail you still have a way around it.

cool thank god for that, I'm thinking the worsted like engine might have to come out lol.