stock subaru td05/vf34/vf35 vs hybrid/big td05 16g/18g

now i've been doing some research over the last few weeks trying to find some answers and though i've gathered some useful info there are still some gray areas. i'm hoping you guys can assist who have experience with these turbos on our 4e/5e.

i'm considering this possible upgrade, that's why im asking.....the 20g is not an option

my questions are:

- its there a significant difference in terms of overall WHP and torque produced between the stock mhi/ihi units (td05 16g, vf/28/30/34/35/39/43/48/52) versus the upgraded/high-flow/billet wheel td05 16g/18g (arashi, blouch,kamak,kinugawa), greddy t517z, evo3 16g, big 16g.

its hard to find flow rates for ihi turbos, but it seems the stock units above flow about 34/36 lb/min making them possibly 340/360bhp units on maybe a 2000cc sized engine, on our cars we may fall a bit short.

these upgrades are supposed to be rated at 39-43 lb/min depending on choice so that's possibly 390-430bhp approximately

what actual power/torque have you been able to produce and at what boost?----i've checked the power board, but it doesn't really say whether the td05 is stock or upgrade unit

- is there a noticeable lag/rpm/spool/response difference between these upgraded units over the stock units

- would the member who have ran both stock and upgraded units advice that its a worthwhile upgrade bearing power/torque/price in mind.

any comments and information provided is welcomed.

PS - i've done a search on here and found some info, but its a little challenging to get the search narrowed down to save time

Edited by gorganl2000

Billet wheels don't necessarily make masses more power, you will notice a lot better spool tho due to the weight.

Ive driven an EP both on a standard scoob TD05-16G, TD05-18G, aswell as the Greddy variants of them both. The Greddy/Trust units felt massively different and a lot more 'urgent' They run a different turbine wheel design, and the rear housing were quite different too.

In all honestly i would put a nice GT2860RS or something similar on and leave all the TD/VF stuff behind.

Personal preference really and depends on budget.

If you get a mani with a TD/VF flange you can swap and change between turbos and find one which you like.

Been in a few different setup starlets and the VF24 is a happy medium id say. Between power and spool, but have to run fairly low boost due to the BB.

TD04 been done to death, good results.

VF10, bit less power, better spool.

TD05 16G, good power, bit laggy, pointless unless running big boost imo

VF28, spool wouldnt be too bad on a well set up starlet, good power to be had, cant run massive boost due to the BB

VF12, i have this on my own starlet, yet to really drive it so cant comment much but its fairly big, P20 exhaust housing, and old school design bearing so capable of decent boost.

I'd say high C-R and lower boost is the way forward.

Thats all from my experience, some will not agree :)

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe worth getting some tougher springs and raise the Rev limit to make you power band longer if you ever go down that route

guess you really need to be revving to around 8500rpm to get the most out of the bigger 18/20g

that's an additional cost for proper valve springs or even custom work if other options are chosen....again driving the overall project price further up

Billet wheels don't necessarily make masses more power, you will notice a lot better spool tho due to the weight.

Ive driven an EP both on a standard scoob TD05-16G, TD05-18G, aswell as the Greddy variants of them both. The Greddy/Trust units felt massively different and a lot more 'urgent' They run a different turbine wheel design, and the rear housing were quite different too.

In all honestly i would put a nice GT2860RS or something similar on and leave all the TD/VF stuff behind.

i know someone who has a greddy 18g/5e and another person who has gt28rs/5e....from what i was told, the gt28rs come on a bit earlier, but the greddy 18g has a bit more top end.

i've not driven in either car

funny enough, some of the reading i did indicated the gt28rs is similar to the vf35/vf34 power and response wise...topping out around 350/360bhp

Edited by gorganl2000

@ daniel g----some of those subaru owners have been running some decent boost through those BB turbos,,,seen some cases of 1.4-1.7bar and they seem to hold pretty well....not sure if doing it over a long period would cause terminal damage though

@ phil --- is there a real difference between the vf35 and vf34 on our 4e/5e?

lol...wow thats a fair amount on a vf22

i realise that sometimes theory and reality are not always the same.

i guess that's how the starlet 4e/5e forums started out too....when making 150/160bhp was a major achievement on a stock engine...lolol

some guys put a stock tdo5 16g on a rally subaru at the last minute because the original turbo on the car blew right before the start of the rally.

they were just hoping it would make the first special stage before they retired....but it made the whole rally...and that's with antilag and all

the stock td05 is a strong unit :thumbsup: