How are people blowing up there engines? Are these car getting unreliable

Hello All,

I am thinking of getting another starlet again in the future depending on finding a good MK1. The problem I have is I am reading a lot on people blowing there engines how is this happening as I don't want a car that is going to be unreliable and worried that my engine is going to give out on me. How long do these engines last?

Nick

They should last ages depending on how well maintained they are. Trouble is, people buy them, whack up the boost and rag them to death without doing all the supporting mods or maintenance.

A standard starlet would last a long time, it's the fact that they mostly end up running a lot more boost than they were designed to, and poor upgrades and lack of mapping or poor mapping. My engine in the GT blew up because a poor map by what i thought was a reputable company...

The engine in my Glanza blew up because the cam seal went and i'd driven it a good distance with no oil before i knew haha :(

They should last ages depending on how well maintained they are. Trouble is, people buy them, whack up the boost and rag them to death without doing all the supporting mods or maintenance.

thanks mate. I am just seeing so many cases of engines giving out and jap cars go for ever lol. The chap that first bought my Starlet years ago told me after a couple of months he blew the engine then the gearbox then the turbo in the space of a month.

But if it is down to whacking the boost up and not having the correct mods to help then understand able. I just don't want a car I cant rely on.

A standard starlet would last a long time, it's the fact that they mostly end up running a lot more boost than they were designed to, and poor upgrades and lack of mapping or poor mapping. My engine in the GT blew up because a poor map by what i thought was a reputable company...

The engine in my Glanza blew up because the cam seal went and i'd driven it a good distance with no oil before i knew haha :(

Are that is a shit sorry to hear that. Did you not go back to the mappers and get them to reimburse you for the engine?

Regards to the Glanza I guess you ownly knew once the engine gave out?

They wern't interested at all, and coincidentally another engine they mapped around the same time failed with the same issue. They're a trader on here and i dont want to start world war 3 so i'll say no more on that haha.

And yeah, it didn't completely give out, but it span one of the rod bearings. Tried the cheap fix of polishing up the journal and putting a new set of beaings in but it knocked straight away again.

It's not all doom and gloom though, Overhauled an engine completely and rebuilt from scratch with toyota parts and a crank regrind and polish and a hone and it's been in my GT for over 2 years now, had it mapped by Will Hinchliffe at RDT and its still going very very well.

Put a second hand engine in the glanza and it's also been spot on ever since, but still in the early days with that i suppose

They wern't interested at all, and coincidentally another engine they mapped around the same time failed with the same issue. They're a trader on here and i dont want to start world war 3 so i'll say no more on that haha.

And yeah, it didn't completely give out, but it span one of the rod bearings. Tried the cheap fix of polishing up the journal and putting a new set of beaings in but it knocked straight away again.

It's not all doom and gloom though, Overhauled an engine completely and rebuilt from scratch with toyota parts and a crank regrind and polish and a hone and it's been in my GT for over 2 years now, had it mapped by Will Hinchliffe at RDT and its still going very very well.

Put a second hand engine in the glanza and it's also been spot on ever since, but still in the early days with that i suppose

Now are we talking stock engine here or did you rebuild it with forge pistons and rods? What sort of power are you running. With the glanza did you buy it from a running car and put it straight in or did you also rebuild that?

:D

I'm currently running 233.4bhp through stock motor and it's as good as the day it was mapped coming out at the weekend to replace with a forged lump. But as above people are upping boost and not getting supporting mods or remaps and there going bang or bying off idiots who bodge to sell them.

I'm currently running 233.4bhp through stock motor and it's as good as the day it was mapped coming out at the weekend to replace with a forged lump. But as above people are upping boost and not getting supporting mods or remaps and there going bang or bying off idiots who bodge to sell them.

What do you have on your engine to manage that boost safely? Is it a daily how often do you take her out?

The GT engine was a standard rebuild couldn't afford to go forged at the time, everything brand new apart from pistons and rods.

The Glanza engine came from a Glanza that a friend had bought, he drove the car etc and then removed the engine shortly after. I trusted him to know that it was a good engine tbf and it does seem grand up to now

The GT engine was a standard rebuild couldn't afford to go forged at the time, everything brand new apart from pistons and rods.

The Glanza engine came from a Glanza that a friend had bought, he drove the car etc and then removed the engine shortly after. I trusted him to know that it was a good engine tbf and it does seem grand up to now

Like it sounds good to me :) well done

Have a look in my build thread bud yes it's my daily gets driven every day :) been mapped to a safe bar and has been spot on for well over 3 years

Just had a look mate very impressive with no expense spared.

And who's to say it wasn't driven like a v tech? Shit happens, it was a rebuilt engine with used pistons and rods...as I've said countless people have been and gone without issue.....and there's been far less issues with them than some of the dick head traders on here

I see a few people wanting to turn the boost up with no management. They use fuel cut defenders just not doing their research basically then come on here and complain. You can buy any car new or old and it can still fuck up, high maintenance regular oil change's always a good idea to keep on top of

I had a completely standard GT at stock boost and that blew the ringlands.

I think it's luck of the draw, but these cars and engines aren't getting any younger,being a bean can and listening out for every knock, bang, smoke and all other shit isn't my idea of fun.

I'd love to get back in a starlet, but I would have to have my own spec forged motor ready to go in the day I bought a car home.

Edited by AdamB

seems like you need to buy one that has been well looked after not ragged to buggery. I think it is also worth looking into getting the engine rebuilt when you do buy one for piece of mind.

By the sounds of things there are a lot of starlet here that are running high power on stock engines and going ok with the mods that the car requires to run it. As long as you use the correct stuff and don't rag the car day in and out then you will be fine.

My Honda gets driven everyday to and from work but I don't give it beans everyday. To be honest it doesn't get driven hard that much at all only really when on the slip road going onto a duel carriage way or motor way. If you drive a car with respect and every now and then give her some shit I believe you will be fine.

Went to view a gt today it was a ticking time bomb

It's on ebay too reg is L896 WYJ white gt and

That's the second one in two days I've seeing

Be very carefull everyone ....

Edited by asbo-v

Went to view a gt today it was a ticking time bomb

It's on ebay too reg is L896 WYJ white gt and

That's the second one in two days I've seeing

Be very carefull everyone ....

How do you mean ticking time bomb what was wrong with it?

I would go and have a look at the 2 tomz starlets on gumtree they both look interesting and in good nick

Edited by Nicholai

What a depressing topic! At the end of the day most people want to treat the 1.3 like a 3 litre twin turbo, chasing power takes the fun away in some cases more money more problems lol but seriously if your not handy with a spanner or have a good savings account things could get difficult imo