compression test shows 150 psi over all four,rebuild time :-(

PS if your doing this yourself...then ive no problem.

Colin would rebuild his own also, adam maybe aswell... but if you paying someone hundreds of quid...... then it doesnt add up for me.

Phil

yeah the best step is timing check.then after that if its ok then a leakdown test will be done on friday. :-D

if I wuda been at 160 I would still be doing all this. I like things to be perfect and in order.

I understand where you're coming from buddy, but I have to say this. No matter how anal you want/prepared to be, you're driving a road going car with components such as piston rings, headgaskets etc that are designed for reliability and to last.

There is no need to be upset about the way the engine is pulling X, Y and Z figures because I can assure you, even after a rebuild and 2000 miles later you will have 2% leakage because that's the leakage you get during the break in period. The wear rate does slow down after this though, hence why engines can go on for over 250k miles before a serious drop in performance is noted.

The cost, labour, time and effort to rebuild a motor essentially because it's dropped to 160psi compression probably every 30k miles is a notoriously painstaking one.

I'll just say to hold off till you're not able to see the car behind in you're rear view mirror because you've choked them to death with burnt oil :D

Just my 2p, the desired goal needs to be set and it needs to be realistic :)

Edited by AdamB

"""""""The cost, labour, time and effort to rebuild a motor essentially because it's dropped to 160psi compression probably every 30k miles is a notoriously painstaking one."""""""""

@ adamb , it wont wear that fast !!! mine only lost 5 psi sinds rebuild 3 years ago