Running with TPS disconnected??? Plus sneaky pics ;)

Jut built the forged lump and as I'm going Link management I have an auto throttle body going on.

I know the stock manual Tps is virtually just an on and off switch.

Discovered a hairline crack in the original throttle body so I'm planning to bolt the auto one straight on.

Obviously I have to run it in before I can get the Link fitted and mapped so question is will I be ok granny'ing about with the Tps disconnected to rub it in? Thinking it will be ok as no boost etc will be used!?

Here's near finished pics :), happy with how it's come out so far

Posted Image

Posted Image

I did this for a week or so when I was between TPSs, it ran very rich and I got no fuel mileage at all but I haven't noticed any long term negative effects from it. On a UK spec, mind, a Glanza might behave differently.

Your engine bay is a thing of beauty, by the way :thumbsup:

Ah ok, I can live with rich and have wideband so if it's pegged at 10:1 everywhere I'll have to do something about it.

Silly question people but what does the simple ep82 on off style Tps actually affect?

I did this for a week or so when I was between TPSs, it ran very rich and I got no fuel mileage at all but I haven't noticed any long term negative effects from it. On a UK spec, mind, a Glanza might behave differently.

Your engine bay is a thing of beauty, by the way :thumbsup:

It's getting there mate, still lots I want to do but it's my daily too so they can wait lol :D

Silly question people but what does the simple ep82 on off style Tps actually affect?

It affects fuel trim. Power goes into the centre pin and goes to the top pin from 0-25%, no continuity 25-75% and bottom pin 75+%. It's a surprisingly brute force way of doing it by Toyota's standards.

It's getting there mate, still lots I want to do but it's my daily too so they can wait lol :D

I know that feeling mate. I have to keep telling myself there's no rush.

It affects fuel trim. Power goes into the centre pin and goes to the top pin from 0-25%, no continuity 25-75% and bottom pin 75+%. It's a surprisingly brute force way of doing it by Toyota's standards.

I know that feeling mate. I have to keep telling myself there's no rush.

Spot on thanks for the info bud :)

Running ritch on a fresh bulit engine is not a good idea! Bore wash could be a major issue

Yeah bore washing rich wouldn't happen fella, that's the bonus of having the wideband.

If it runs silly rich I'll have a rethink :D

Running it off the wide band is fine but pussy footing it every where is not what I'd recommend for the running in, it needs to see some boost and some engine load, or you may as well leave it ticking over on the drive for a day, id get the ecu fitted and it run in on the dyno befor driving it around pussy footing it.

Definitely don't nana around on a new engine - it has to see some load and don't let it idle for prolonged periods.

Id try and find another tps so you can run the stock ecu for the initial run in then swap the link in

Which link will you run? I may have a basemap floating around or could make one for you. 

Going on G4+ Storm mate, my mapper is supplying the ECU too so he'll be sorting all the maps out.

Thanks though buddy, much appreciated :)

I had a meter on my tps today and its 5volts at idle possession then reduces as throttle is open and goes into minus voltage near wot is this normal as I'm having a Splutter at 6800rpm at full load but is ok when I bring it up not under full load