4E-FE Conversion for EE90 Liftback - Advice Needed

I wondered when you'd show up! I want it off the planet not just the Forum! :p

Cheers though, tackled the sump again today so we should have a decent seal now :)

Monday should see the timing belt done.

KP

Given the leaky sump that stuck around after I resealed it I took Friday to do it again and hopefully, do it right.

I packed on a hell of a lot more sealant than I would otherwise hoped to, particularly where the arcs start at either end of the sump. Last time there was a clear void there so this needed to have sealant pack it out adequately. The timing end crankshaft oil seal was ok in the end it was simply the sump so that should also hopefully be the same deal for the gearbox side of the crankshaft. I am praying to the car gods that the crankshaft oil seal is ok - the gearbox end is and engine out job.

We also heated up the shanked timing belt cover and bent it into shape to hopefully clear it from the belt and pulley. I have a timing belt kit arriving on Monday which should sort some of the whining noises from the timing end. Tomorrow I will be refitting the interior - will be fun to put up some before and afters of the birds nest I have to deal with! I will be cutting and resoldering the wires to make very neat factory looking looms over the summer, but to get me home they need to be shoved behind the dash and just held in place to get me home.

Heavily sealed sump:

DSC_0800_zpsyudmrhiz.jpg

The first time round failed because there wasn't enough sealant on the arc edges but also because the sealant didn't really set properly. The instructions stated that it had to be assembled as soon as possible but seeing as that didn't work I left the sealant for an hour or so in order to let it go a little tacky. It's bolted up now so fingers crossed it's all ok when the belt goes on and the oil goes in!

As for the timing belt, it's actually still nice and easy to access like the old engine:

DSC_0798_zpsikk5pdgt.jpg

I don't feel too far off getting this sorted now (disasters permitting).

KP

I think I may finally be done! The oil leaks appear to have been fixed, the timing belt is done and the car is safe for the road. Today saw a few things completed:

*Timing Belt Fitted - with new Tensioner and Idler Pulleys

*Wiring Tidied up - The interior wiring was cabled tied and fully taped up to make it as neat as possible. Still needs a lot of work though.

*PAS System Fitted & Tested

*Fuse Box temporarily secured - zip ties again - what can I say? I'm a Motorsport Engineering student... we live by the ties and die by the ties.

*Air Filter Oiled.

*Pulse Damper fitted to MAP sensor

I took it out for a test run and the car has been totally transformed by the new powerplant. It starts every time with no issues and the power is very nicely delivered. I reset the ECU and received no fault codes although there is a misfire which I have pinned on the Lambda for now. It currently has a Bosch sensor where it might want a Denso unit as originally fitted. I'll be sorting that another time.

Everything else seems fine but I have to keep an eye out for oil leaks.

First run home is tomorrow. :D

Throttle connection MKII:

DSC_0804_zpszsdnmkog.jpg

The MAP sensor was dishing out some dodgy signals so I pilfered a pulse damper from a mates MR2 he is breaking. It's basically a chamber filled with cotton which absorbs pulses in the vacuum tubing to prevent giving the MAP sensor duff pressure readings.

DSC_0803_zpsif3fsl3s.jpg

Custom Air Filter housing - quickly knocked up by the legendary Owain who also oiled it today for extra reliable Kilowatts!

DSC_0805_zpseaprsqu2.jpg

Fresh Timing Belt and Pulleys installed:

DSC_0802_zpsnegp1sxj.jpg

Fingers crossed it stays reliable. I totally love the feel of this new motor and the sound is just brutal. Utterly awesome conversion!

KP

Thank you very much guys - the wiring needs tidying up and I will be buying a catch can for the breathers when funds permit - the important part is it will get me home!

And videos as promised - it sounds utterly sexual IMO!

Drives well although it does misfire like a bitch sometimes. Need to look at that after I'm home safe :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3yXk8Lrrd4&feature=youtu.be

I am totally in love with it!

KP

haha I already got the itch to do it after that intake noise on the first run - I hear turbo - reminds me of the R32 GT-ST my dad had, just a smooth whisper as revs build. If only :D

KP

Thanks, I totally love the sound of it, it's properly savage :D

Made it home today - 286 miles, first of four trips. Not a single hitch with it bar the CV chucking grease but that's not going to stop me getting home :)

Runs well and rather economically considering there is no Lambda signal. Still misfires but it appears to be clearing as I go along with the whine from the camshaft gears.

KP