So over the last 2 months I've had to top up my oil twice back up to full, checked today and it was near two thirds of the way down the dipstick, last topped up 3 and a half weeks ago! one of the guys from work was behind me on the way home the other day and he said it smoked when i pulled away from a junction, I've tried to make it smoke and look in the rear view mirror but i cant see a thing tbh. i think its either valve seals or piston rings? but I've also heard the PCV valve can cause smoke but i highly doubt it would cause that much oil loss?

its already had the head gasket done about 6 months ago.

so im really asking is there any common faults? and is there a good way of narrowing it down to whats going on in the little engine?

current mods are corolla manifold, exhaust manifold (4-1) and exhaust system, (non decat).

anyone help?!?!?!

Thanks Dan

• 9 months later...

Compression test and leak down test are the best methods to check.

The pcv valve has more effect on the 4eftes as they stop boost pressure going into the crankcase but when they fail they allow it past which is when the oil issues appear on them.

The 4efes are usually a pretty good on oil, what grade are you using?