New headgasket - Water full of Oil

As titled, spent the majority of the weekend fitting a new head gasket, get it all fired up and within minutes the water has turned into a oily mess and there's mayo on the underside of the oil cap..

I've checked and double checked the vacuum / coolant lines on the throttle body so I'm pretty sure it's not them, if someone can confirm them for me that would be great..

So If you stand on the passenger side of the car looking at the throttle body:

- Far left is water - To thermostat

- Next one along is water - To water pump pipe

- The bent one is vacuum

- The one behind that is vacuum

yq26Zuyl.jpg

Cheers

Edited by TimD

It's been fitted with ARP's, so 20, 40 60 lbft, head was pressure checked and skimmed 8thou.

Going to flush both coolant and oil and see where that leaves me, if that doesn't solve it, head off again to figure this out.

I may have spotted the problem. Where the oil gallery is from the block to the head it's not a joined. The oil gallery uses a head bolt to feed oil to the head if I remember correctly. On the standard head gaskets they are a tear drop shape (bottom left hand corner of the block on your pic) and your new head gasket does not have anywhere for the oil to go? Easiest way out? The coolant jacket.

Every Athena/JE gasket I've seen has the same layout so I'm not sure it's what is causing the problem, but you never know.

Is this new oil and coolant that's mixed?

I think I've been daft by not draining the oil and flusing the cooling system before starting it up.

Tomorrow I'm going to flush as well as possible the coolant system, and also drop the oil and replace with new stuff and see if there is any change.

Every Athena/JE gasket I've seen has the same layout so I'm not sure it's what is causing the problem, but you never know.

I think I've been daft by not draining the oil and flusing the cooling system before starting it up.

Tomorrow I'm going to flush as well as possible the coolant system, and also drop the oil and replace with new stuff and see if there is any change.

Try new oils etc may need changing a few times just to make sure it's clean

There are no visible signs of an external leak, well not that I can see and having read that before firing it up that was on my list of things to check.

Heading over to work on the car in about 10 minutes

It's running.

Flushed coolant through, changed oil and it seems to be all clear. It seems to be running ok, had it up and down the little industrial estate road and it drove ok.

Hopefully going to get it in for a sniff test and have the ignition timing checked in the next couple of days!