Right, basically a weeks worth of preping and priming and base coating and painting looks like it may all be a waste and im extremely pissed off with this!

I was wondering if any of u rattle can users might know wot the hell has happened here!

basically, the fuse box cover got a final colour coat on wednesdaywhich and then laquer yesteday. we went out to check it this morning to discover that for some reason the laquer has caused some serious blemishes in the final product!!!! BASTARD!!!!!!!!! and it has happened on a few more of the part we have done.

can anyone shed somelight on wot the HELL has happened???? PLEASE!!!!

blemish.jpg

Phil.

looks like the colour i did mine to match the powerenterprise filter....!

Could be there was muck/grease underneath it dont really know, or the lacquer got to hot in the engine an peeled?

Rob

did you leave it somewhere warm? it looks to me like the paint has bloomed.

this happens when it gets too cold while the paint is hardening, it especially happens with thick coats of paint too.

my advice, get some fine wet and dry and see if you can rub it back to a layer thats not been affected, if your lucky it'll have only done it to the outer layer so it should buff out.

Yeh something like that has happened. Although some lacquers are crap and d stuff like that. I had a similar experience. I went a bought a different type of lacquer and it was fine.

thanks for that chaps!!!! mucho appreciated!

so annoyin, a weeks worth of workin screwed up!

the paint dried mainly in the house but we did leave the laquer to dry in the garage which has probably been too cold.

if we rub it down, can paint be applied over the top of any remaining laquer?? will it take or react?? mark seems to think we wont get away with tryin to reapply paint. thoughts please guys????

we used a wheel laquer, thinkin it would be hard as Rambo!

Phil.

the problem is with paint, its easy to rush it. or to mis-judge how cold it is. i always heat the items (if i can) for a good 15 mins after every coat, so you know its reasonably protected.

Even if it was slightly greasy, dust coating it would have covered the spots.

Its either to heavier coating or moisture or damp/cold has effected it while its cured.

Sand it back down, give it another dust coat of colour and re laquer.

It would have been the laquer stage that fecked up though.Looks very much like to heavy a coating or moisture.Does it look like tiny snowflakes in the clearcoat?

Also boil the kettle, fill a bowl up with boiling water... and sit the can of colour,laquer,primer in it for a good 5mins untill the cans warm.

It basically helps build up pressure inside the can which will help spray a fine even mist, rather than splodgey spray.

Or as Rick said, a hair dryer...

I generally fill a bucket up with boiling water, and sit all the cans im going to be using in it.So say im primering something, sit all the primers needed in the boiling water.Or use a hairdryer to just heat single cans up.Anything that warms them up is the way to go.

Just dont sit them near a fire place, as a guy i know did...Ended in his living room being pug sunblaze yellow :(

That was a comical sight.Hed just freshly painted the room white a few weeks prior.

Also when you have finished the last coat of laquer, give it 24 hours to fully cure, then give it a cut over with some cutting compound.It'll bring the laquer up like glass and look s e x u a l

I think you've left too long between the coats. You should have lacquered it earlier, when the paint had dried but not actually hardened. So, like an hour after you painted it.

Well thats what I'm told.

Lacquer sucks big time, trust me!