Which FMIC do i get? HDI, autobahn88, or autobahn replica?

I am just about to buy my fmic for my starlet EP82.

I can get an autobahn kit delivered for £240

HDI intercooler For £280 Delivered

Dave burwash autobahn replica £240 Delivered

Which one should i get? I quite like the HID kit, i have added a link to the HID kit thread below:

Link to HDI cooler

Now i am wondering will that HDI intercooler fit my EP82 without problems? Anyone know or know of someone who knows lol?

Hope you guys can help me decide

MM

i just got an autobahn88 this week and it looks the sizz, seen them hid ones as well and i was interested in them thy look good, not shoer bout fitting them to an 82 shooed work fine id think but don't take my word for it

i have an AB88 kit and the piping is made of recycled coke cans lol i will deffinalty be replacing it in the near future :(

saying that the actual cooler is greeeeeeat does the job :(

just to give you an idea bud before you make your mind up

jason

Marc,

This is only my opinion, but I'd rule out buying a replica of a cheap IC mate...that narrows your choice down to 2.

I know I've said it before and I don't want to start a big debate but I'd not buy any of em, I'd buy an original Blitz, or something that isn't a rough copy of something. I said it last time, even mentioned it to Dave Burwash himself...offered my car as a test bed too. Show me results of a car fitted with these new breed copy coolers and show me the results with the Blitz or similar cooler that's been track tested, researched and proven. I'd bet a fair bit that the copy coolers start to flow like a pile of cack as the boost goes up. Same story happened with the MR2s a few years back, copy coolers started showing up of the Greddy cores, half the price, everyone started buying em...then they did some tests...the copies at normal boost conditions were better than the Greddy, but as the tuning and boost rose, the Greddy left the rest behind.

Just my opinion that. :(

Marc,

This is only my opinion, but I'd rule out buying a replica of a cheap IC mate...that narrows your choice down to 2.

I know I've said it before and I don't want to start a big debate but I'd not buy any of em, I'd buy an original Blitz, or something that isn't a rough copy of something. I said it last time, even mentioned it to Dave Burwash himself...offered my car as a test bed too. Show me results of a car fitted with these new breed copy coolers and show me the results with the Blitz or similar cooler that's been track tested, researched and proven. I'd bet a fair bit that the copy coolers start to flow like a pile of cack as the boost goes up. Same story happened with the MR2s a few years back, copy coolers started showing up of the Greddy cores, half the price, everyone started buying em...then they did some tests...the copies at normal boost conditions were better than the Greddy, but as the tuning and boost rose, the Greddy left the rest behind.

Just my opinion that. :(

We have the original "Forced" intercooler on our car, with the sharp bends off the intercooler. Doing a grand job at 320bhp and cooling very well. When the angled bends were mentioned to our mapper he did remark what a total crock of shit people give as advice. You will do well to slow down a charge of air with 1bar pressure behind it!!

We purposely fitted one of these kit to our car as people slated them and we won't be changing it as it works a treat :(

Like I said it's just my opinion...

Everyone has an opinion on air flow etc, personally, I believe air flow should be as smooth and unrestricted as possible, no sharp bends, but hey, that 'shortfall' was rectifited on the later coolers.

I still say fit a Blitz or similar and see what the car does with one on aswell, group test would be great..

But in all honesty...if you want the best of the best...Apex-i lead the way in intercoolers. Look at the FMIC on a JZA80, big fat rows for the air to pass along, and each row is angled to speed air passage over the row and through the cooler fins...the absolute shizzle. Phoenix Power in Japan use the Apex-i core for their SW20 side mount ICs, they're rare as hens teeth and when I get a few in, they sell for around £600 used! But PP take perfection and improve on it, adding welded oversized pipework from the turbo, enlarged end tanks etc.

So infact....Apex-i ftmfw.

Why not be original and get an apexi core from a supra or something and make up the mounts? that would look bad ass and would cool more air than your car could ever possibly flow :(

but where do i get piping from mate? Making sure it will fit etc. How much do them intercoolers cost?

Yup any welder/pipe maker can fab up some piping to your needs, that way you can get nice large bore pipe...maximise that flow. As anyone would tell you, your performance products are only as good as the weakest item :)

Apex-i core? from a supra (which is HUGE by the way...doubt it'd fit the ep82) I'm guessing about £300.

I have a WEPR cooler fitted and I wouldnt change it for any other cooler.

It fits nice and snug, the joiners are great, the pipes are equally as great and I havent had any problems with it.

My 2p.

There a bit high priced for what it is. Its like £350, will be the same core as others except a little smaller, has decent piping thats probs bout it. For another £100 you could get your hands on a greddy if you know where to look and know the right people.