Replacing Wax Stat with Bosch ICV

Just wondering if anyone has attempted to do something like this?

http://www.nzefi.com/product/toyota-1uz-fe-idle-speed-control-solenoid-conversion-kit/

I've ordered a throttle body to wax stat gasket off Toyota so am planning on scanning this in to design an adapter plate in CAD similar to the above link. 

The wax stat system is shite and I don't fancy forking out £1300+ for a DBW system, capable ECU etc so this seems like a cheaper alternative. Should provide a nice stable idle while reducing heat in the intake.

Edited by Patches

Its a good idea and something i was going to look at before going DBW, that said it depends how picky you are. The last couple of starlets ive had on the dyno with aftermarket TB, no Wax Stat and no ICV still idle fine at 1000rpm as you control it with ignition. Not perfect, but as said depends how particular you are. It would be more important for people with secondary load on idle such as turning AC on, but again most have removed this anyway.

2 hours ago, RobSR said:

Its a good idea and something i was going to look at before going DBW, that said it depends how picky you are. The last couple of starlets ive had on the dyno with aftermarket TB, no Wax Stat and no ICV still idle fine at 1000rpm as you control it with ignition. Not perfect, but as said depends how particular you are. It would be more important for people with secondary load on idle such as turning AC on, but again most have removed this anyway.

It's a good point actually, were these cars using aftermarket intake manifolds which came with aftermarket throttle bodies?

I think I'll still go ahead with this as for me its all about keeping the costs low. I've never had anything made with a CNC machine before so if anyone has any experience/advice I'd love to hear it

Edited by Patches

Guys in america use a BMW idle control valve. A lot cheaper than most options.

ive stripped my throttle down and put a gasket inbetween the wax stat and the throttle part. stops any sticking issues and allows you to remove the water lines.

My car still idles fine and has cold start idle still.

On 4/17/2019 at 8:56 PM, RobSR said:

Yes Zisco inlet and the cheapy EBay like TB that people have on them.

Good stuff tho, let us know how you get on, should be fairly easy to implement.

Will do man, might be a while before I get round to this

On 4/17/2019 at 11:47 PM, Ryan.Truesdale said:

I work in a cnc shop

Nice one, I might send you a pm when I get round to designing the plate to pick your brains if that'd be cool?

On 4/18/2019 at 7:53 AM, Dean_mc88 said:

Guys in america use a BMW idle control valve. A lot cheaper than most options.

ive stripped my throttle down and put a gasket inbetween the wax stat and the throttle part. stops any sticking issues and allows you to remove the water lines.

My car still idles fine and has cold start idle still.

Yeah i was looking at the BMW ones, might go with a ford one as the aftermarket ones can be had for £20ish.

You got any pictures of what you've done? I might do something like that temporarily as the sticking is quite annoying

On 4/26/2019 at 12:56 AM, Stu said:

Even the factory 20v 4age unit can be made to work very nicely. 

Not sure what you mean by this? does the factory 20v 4age have an electronic ICV?

Edited by Patches

As above, yes they do. Nice three wire unit so can adjust both above and below set idle.  They respond very well in my experience and are physically quite small.