Athena 1.2mm head gasket problem!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's something I didn't do ^^ and the engineer who did the work on my engine asked me the same question. Not sure if it would have made a difference in my case, but it's certainly something I wont forget to do this time around!

That's something I didn't do ^^ and the engineer who did the work on my engine asked me the same question. Not sure if it would have made a difference in my case, but it's certainly something I wont forget to do this time around!

no need to do this with a MLS i have been told

Did you tighten it 2 times, i mean tighten, then wait 30 min, then losen , and then tighten it again.

Sorry about my english, hope you und

erstand.

I understand yes it was tightened once then an second time yes but wasn't losend again defo will be doing it the right way this time

If you've gone to head studs, you're presumably running ARP stuff, so you can reuse them.

If you're using OE head bolts, with an athena, then yes once they're in place then you leave them alone, they're stretch bolts after all.

It's probably prudent to check that an ARP stud/bolt is properly torqued a short while after the initial torque. In an idea world you'd probably check them after a certain amount of running, but for the 4efe that would require removing cams.

Bit of a minefield is this, and I'm sure there is some simple engine building science behind it.

Anyway, interested to find out what happens when you get it built back up, hopefully all is well and you can enjoy the car some.

Oem head gasket and oem bolts are going in this time didn't chose to put the ARP bolts back in with the standard gasket. When putting it back together im going to torque it down leave it a day or two for them to settle and then retorque them again. It is a myth to get to the head bolts once boxed up lol probably run it couple 100 miles before checking them again.

Cheers TimD will keep you all updated.

OEM Bolts are stretch bolts, you torque them up and then I think it's a 90 degree turn to stretch them, after that you leave them well alone.

^^^^ this

also i never see it beeing mentioned but i advice to rub both faces of the steel gasket with some greese the grease will dry out and bond a seal between the surfaces ( works a threat ) trick from the old race boys

and yes same settings

Edited by 5e colin

http://www.vhtpaint.com/specialty/vht-copper-gasket-cement

For "mega horsepower engines" :D Find and ask your own local dealer.

You can open and split your metal headhasket and spray cement over every layer, this way can made own thichness gasket to get right squishing area cap, many gaskets have many layers, at least tree most of cases. You can buy 2,0 mm gasket and one layer away, then you have 1,6mm gasket etc...

Yes, you do have to tighten it 2 times with mls, and yes, you can use stock bolts twice.

I did it in my 5e, running 412hp. I even reused the gasket and bolt after i bended 8 valves, still no problem.

Course you can re-use any of it.

Its just bad practice.

You SHOULD NOT use OEM head bolts twice.