Evening Team,

Have one of my starlets up and running this afternoon but struggling with spool.

Its a forged motor, td04 kit with external wastegate, ultimate ecu and turbosmart manual boost controller, gre

Its very very slow at spooling, but does seem to boost ok when evenutally wakes up abeit with very poor control.

Nothing until about 5k, and it totally flat below that. Also running quite poorly at lower revs, with eml light on.

Now, I have had a look at the boost controller plumbing, which I think was incorrect, re plumbed with top port venting which is improved boost stability. But still very slow spool.

Anything obvious I should be checking? Would an electronic controller help improve it?

Had trouble getting my ct9 to boost properly with a turbosmart manual controller. Spool was fine but boost was all over the place.

Sounds like there is more to your issue tho

Good Shout Socks,

Just remove the controller and run spring pressure.

If thats your problem, your spool will return.

That is something I had thought about, can you check by moving the external arm? Or does it ideally need the downpipe dropping off.

Check that the wastegate on the turbo is closed properly. Since you're externally gated, if the penny washer isn't quite held shut it will give you a really late/sluggish spool. Had this on mine before, maybe worth a check...

Slight Update.

Have done a diagnostic check.

Showing code 12 and 52.

Battery has been very flat, and is still in need of a good charge. Also traced the knock sensor wire back and found a break in the wire.

Whether both of those codes are enough to make it as laggy as it is I dont know, I guess it would explain the rough running though?

Code 52 will make it run like a complete nail like suggested.

12 is no RPM signal, will also make it run like shit. Check your wiring around the distributor and ecu side etc.

Edited by RobSR

Code 52 will make it run like a complete nail like suggested.

12 is no RPM signal, will also make it run like shit. Check your wiring around the distributor and ecu side etc.

May be totally wrong here but I think the ecu gets the speed signal from a pulse generator in the clocks where the speedo cable plugs in. Having to fit one to my EP70 clocks for the 4efte conversion :/

So if all else fails see if a buddy can lend you some clocks to check if it's your clocks or a break in the signal wire for the code 12

Thanks for everyones help.

Numerous small issues seem to have solved it. Running much cleaner now, and holding boost well. Thanks guys!

if it is not a bother, do you mind listing the issues you resolved?...this may help others in the future