How lucky was we today

So my brother has a zafira gsi because he is disabled and cant get in amd out of low cars and pvs was today. So naturally i accompanied him. But before we even made it there we stopped of at Northampton roadchef services for a jimmy riddle and when we came out we noticed he has 3 out of 5 wheels bolts missing. As we investigated further we realised that they had actually snapped but one thread was still sticking out so i said id take the wheel off and use pliers to take it out and put the spare nuts in and that if we had 3 bolts in it would do the last 21 miles to santa pod and we would call the RAC for on the way back but as i put the wheel bolt tool into the remaining two (they was tuner bolts) one loosened as normal but the other snapped of before id even got the brace one. That meant only 1 was holding the wheel on. So im realising this we had to call the RAC out to recover us home and didnt end up going. If we hadent needed the toilet i wouldnt have pulled off the M1 and the 4th bolt would of come of leaving all the weight of the car onto one which would of snapped under the weight of the car and possibly would of ended up being a bad accident at 70mph.

IMG-20160612-WA0002_zpszezypekt.jpeg

So tomorrow he will be getting intouch with the place that supplied the alloys and bolts and complaining and notifying that he will be forwarding the bill for repair of rear hub as it needs to be drilled and re tapped.

WARNING DONT USE CHEAP BOLTS!!!

Edited by dnochris1

Yeah because he doesnt fit allot of his part as he cant get down on the floor he took them to a garage but they didnt notify him they wasn't steel bolts as they was in box when he dropped car off

He is getting intouch with supplier if they say they wont pay he gonna go trading standards and see what they say

Starlets have studs in the hubs therefore you use wheel nuts instead of bolts like in this case.

The studs in the hubs are steel and nuts are far less likely if at all to come off. So I'd go as far as to say this wouldnt happen on a starlet obviously nothing is impossible but its extremely unlikely.

These most likely broke because who ever fitted them just put them on and horsed them up with a buzz gun or a bar and did not torque them.

Also if you are going to use steel nuts/bolts on alloys you need ones with a collar of softer metal or you are FAR more likely to have issues as they will eat into the wheels and the wheels will come loose that way.

Its likely they didnt break because they were cheap or shit its likely the broke because they were not fitted correctly.

They was all torqued up. No gun involved (only idiots use them) dont worry the steel have collars to protect the alloys. This wasnt a thing of bad fitment this was all about shoddy nuts. Aluminium bolts cannot stand the pressure like steel ones.