Headgasket issue on fresh engine

Not sure about anyone else, but when I ordered mine it was made very clear what I'd be receiving.

My JE gasket is/was a genuine JE item, the argument isn't whether or not they are real, it's whether or not they are up to the task, and so far a few of us have had problems. There is likely a good number of others who have had no issue with the gaskets, perhaps they are tight on tolerances? The engineering firm who did the work on my engine the second time around commented that the skim I'd had on my head previously left quite a coarse finish, and that could have caused problems as well.

All I know is I'm reluctant to buy another JE gasket, and MLS gaskets all together. It's not a cheap gig, or a quick job having engineering work carried on an engine, so I want to be certain it'll be right when I put it back together.

Incase this was in my direction I just wanna clear this up lol. I never questioned whether they were genuine JE items, I only said even from the packaging the JE gasket looks cheap and naff and if I ordered and was expect an Athena Gasket at my door and received that I wouldn't be a happy chappy.

Edited by StuDoc 72
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We ordered 1 of the athena gaskets and arp head bolt packages off tuning developments along with wossner pistons.

The comment about an mls gasket being an mls gasket an that they shouldn't have different layers is incorrect. Have a look online and there is a full explanation on both the athena site and je proseal site about what they are made up of.

We ordered the extra 2 gaskets when recieved this one. So we knew whT we where gettng when we did so but thought nothing of it, because it's TD.. and we where none the wiser.

Oh well I retract my statement about being sent the wrong products as its not their fault if you knew you were getting those.

Yes but having never seen an athena gasket before, we made an incorrect assumption based on TD s reputation that they where in fact THE athena gasket everyone uses.

Now. Im not sure if intentional or not but it seems like your having a go, like its our fault?

When I did a search after receiving the first gasket I did a quick search and found that je proseal are made by Athena. Which reinforced my trust in td, thinking this is the right gasket.

More searching now shows that although athena makes them they are of much less quality, lack the same coating on the gaskets athena make for themselves and fitment even suffers.

Have you ever built an engine. Bought an athena gasket? People make mistakes. Its not like we have had athena gaskets before and knew we where looking at something of lesser quality.

At the end of the day td do not have je gaskets for sale online. They are advertised as athena gaskets.

Its not only happened to us but others on here and it makes me think about the other athena gasket failures that have been posted.

Where they fitted at td? Where they actual athena gaskets?

richard,,,question for you...why did you choose to go with a mls gasket vs the oem gasket for the project?

i'm not directly talking about mls brands now, but in general terms

Not my engine. This was built for one of my friends who brought hi car into my other friends garage where i was doing a few weeks work during summer hols from uni. He requested the mls gasket. Then it was factored into the CR calcs. which are now going to be off slighty as the athena gasket is 0.015mm thinner. Not to worry though!

i would not worry about compression rise on the steel gaskets richard its al in the map

so this is the fake gasket tuning developments are selling then at 109£ ???

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Athena-MLS-Headgasket-Toyota-Starlet-GT-Turbo-EP82-EP91-Glanza-V-4EFTE-5EFTE-/331918983829?hash=item4d47e9c295:g:~0sAAOSwVL1V~n8v

Edited by 5e colin

I will be trying it with a build idea i have colin but toyota actually sell the 0.5mm 5e metal gaskets for about the same price as victor reinz. ill need all the compression i can get haha. thats if i can take 1mm off the block without maxing out the tensioner or any brackets fouling.

Another thing TD sells is there fuel pumps at x4 times the price there worth, there China pumps i used a few times with no problems do, the happen to come identical box and all as TD sells them.

Edited by triple j

Not my engine. This was built for one of my friends who brought hi car into my other friends garage where i was doing a few weeks work during summer hols from uni. He requested the mls gasket. Then it was factored into the CR calcs. which are now going to be off slighty as the athena gasket is 0.015mm thinner. Not to worry though!

thanks for the response richard

over the years i've seen many builds go for mls gaskets...many of them were relatively moderate/mild builds too...but just wanted to use mls because of being advised to or "hearing" they are the "best"....to this day i have mixed views on mls gaskets...,especially certain brands and the number of knock off floating about

i dont think your slight cr difference will make any notable difference...the build should be safe once tuned properly

personally, i'm a big fan of the genuine/toyota stock headgasket UNLESS a proper mls is absolutely needed for those special projects and the supporting work is done to accommodate it

I will be trying it with a build idea i have colin but toyota actually sell the 0.5mm 5e metal gaskets for about the same price as victor reinz. ill need all the compression i can get haha. thats if i can take 1mm off the block without maxing out the tensioner or any brackets fouling.

Is that so thin, only 0,5mm and still metall multilayer? Just asked full engine gasket kit for my Paseo and it was about 300euros :/ That Wictor headgasket had to check also...

thanks for the response richard

over the years i've seen many builds go for mls gaskets...many of them were relatively moderate/mild builds too...but just wanted to use mls because of being advised to or "hearing" they are the "best"....to this day i have mixed views on mls gaskets...,especially certain brands and the number of knock off floating about

i dont think your slight cr difference will make any notable difference...the build should be safe once tuned properly

personally, i'm a big fan of the genuine/toyota stock headgasket UNLESS a proper mls is absolutely needed for those special projects and the supporting work is done to accommodate it

When should you be thinking about going MLS instead of OEM?

This route I have allways followed, and other gaskets too. Never failed with oem headgaskets and allways used VHT copper gasket paint too for extra sealing. Long time ago blowed few 4E/5E fte engines with aftermarket cheap mass headgasket and one time with custom made 2mm copper gasket. Next engines comes with oem Toyota gaskets and gona split multilayer if needed to get proper under 1mm squishing area...

Now. Im not sure if intentional or not but it seems like your having a go, like its our fault?

Lol what? No why would I be having a go at you?

Why would I care if its your fault that's your problem.

What I care about is companies ripping of starlet enthusiast for their own gains, which I assumed had happened to you and still sort of has, I retracted my statement as I slated the company for selling you something under false pretences but then it seemed like you knew what you were buying so I couldn't exactly slander them for that.

Thats fine then, and that is the case. We weren't made aware that the first one wasnt the athena gasket that we ordered and a quick google brought up athenas name. So, never having had an athena gasket, and given the fact that we bought from td we assumed it was the correct gasket and ordered 2 more.

The packaging os literally the exact same as athena, only difference is colour and branding.