Hey guys,

So I've had a scout about this forum for this problem but anytime I got close there wasn't any answers!!

So, I've had my Glanza about a month and since I've had it there's been a grinding noise when ever I'm in gear. Push the clutch down and the sound goes, out of gear no grinding and stationary no sound. The grinding is constant when driving but when I lift my foot off the accelerator the sound breaks up a bit but then as soon I'm back on the power the grinding is back. It sounds like I'm dragging a plastic tray behind me. Now I've be given 3 different solutions. 1. is the gearbox oil is wrong or no existent. (will need to do a check to see if my box has an LSD or not as well) 2. A problem with the clutch (although this seems to be the least likely from what people have told me) and 3. is simply that my gearbox is knackered. So changing the gearbox oil is easy and I'll be doing that this week. what I suppose I want know is has anyone had a similar problem and can offer me any advice on what they did to fix it or is there something else this could be that hasn't be suggested to me? Money is very very tight at the moment so I don't want to be replacing the whole gearbox if there's something simpler that can be done.

Thanks as always guys! 8)

If it is that. It's worth getting your box refurbed rather than just buying another with potentially the same problem. That way you can inspect the internals and spot any other issues.

Good point sir! I'll have a look into the refurb option. Cheers for the advice buddy

A box refurb will set you back about 500, depending on whats up with it.

Common isues are input shaft bearing, worn out syncros, worn teeth mainly on 3rd and the old 5th gear popping out.

First thing id do is get the thickest gear oil you can find.. or fill with ATF and see if that makes a difference.

Symptoms arent exactly a release bearing type noise but thats defo worth a replacement whilst the box is out. Standard Toyota one, made by koyo or something, dont get a spurious one it'll just fail in a matter of miles.

A box refurb will set you back about 500, depending on whats up with it.

Common isues are input shaft bearing, worn out syncros, worn teeth mainly on 3rd and the old 5th gear popping out.

First thing id do is get the thickest gear oil you can find.. or fill with ATF and see if that makes a difference.

Symptoms arent exactly a release bearing type noise but thats defo worth a replacement whilst the box is out. Standard Toyota one, made by koyo or something, dont get a spurious one it'll just fail in a matter of miles.

Awesome thanks mate. A mate of mine was gonna get some 75w90 gal 4 oil for me. He said it was millers which is the make he uses in his 200sx. So I suppose the best thing to start with if the oil makes no difference is to get the box out and just have a look inside? I'm a complete noob with this at the moment but I've got a few handy people who will go through it with me. There's no problems with it going into gear or staying in gear which I suppose is a plus at this point . Cheers pal👍 Edited by JaseTheTaff

So a bit of an update I changed the gearbox oil and the stuff I took out had chunks of metal in it and was like a shimmery metallic colour. It also had about a litre less oil than there should of been so after looking around and seeing what I can do my best option is to get a new gearbox and have a mate of mine have a look at it to make sure all is well before I but it in. I'm going to chuck a wanted ad up on here but I also found a few cars being broken on ebay but I've be quoted 350 quid for a Non-LSD box. Is this a fair price? I've yet to find out the miles on it but I will before I spend any money. But generally is this the price these boxes go for?

thanks guys :thumbsup:

No way, £350 is way too much. Unless it has proof of a rebuild. I sold mine for £150 with shafts which is around the going rate. Maybe even a bit cheaper. Id stay away from breakers as they will rip you off(business)

oh dear I wish I'd seen this before :rofl: I've just bought on from a breakers for 200!!!!!! ait I a tit. Well I suppose I'll see what it's like when it comes but I've learnt my lesson already :fool::fool: thanks for the help though mate just wish I'd read it first :(

I hope you have gotten a proper glanza box and not a 5 speed form an na starlet ?

cheers nick.

haha yeah I made sure of that. I mean what they actually send me might be a different issue al together but I checked and they defiantly said it was a glanza box.

cheers mate :thumbsup: