Dithering with the Idea

Hi there

Right, before I start, I am a noob when it comes to details, I am a car fan but just not a car nut (yet) so please do excuse me if I ask any STUPID questions and if you are subject to wading through my incoherent rambling lol.

I have been scouring the interwebs recently, I know its really early however I am planning to purchase a car for myself when I give my current car (Honda Jazz) to the mrs sort of next year but I am wading through all of my options as I want a keeper for myself hence the earliness of my queries. I want to be careful, that's all (OCD much?)

I was just wondering if you guys can help me, I was looking for a car and I have been through a MASSIVE list, I want something I can live with day to day, I kinda want a humble ish car, different/interesting, to have a little poke, nothing that will break the bank, I want something that I can travel to work in (not an awfully bashy ride) and potter around in but when the mood takes me I want to be able to have some giggles on the road. I want something relatively economical, is solidly reliable, small ish and not cause a huge wallop to the wallet so I decided to go Japanese. I was dithering with the Idea of the Honda Civic 1.6 VTI but I read that low end torque isn't brilliant.

I have a feeling that I may be asking for too much or coming across as a little silly but the only way to find out is to ask right?

If I do go for this car, when it comes to purchasing, what sort of stuff do I need to look out for? I have a feeling that several items may need looking at and possibly replacing due to are related wear and that's fine. What kinda mileage (dare I say it MPG) do I need to expect? What is the road tax on it? whats the insurance like?

I do want to modify it over a period of time as I want a car that is mine, you know what I mean, but I will cross that bridge when I get there.

Many thanks guys and apologies for my incoherent ramblings and any stupid questions that I ask!

Edited by Nas

Ep3 typeR over a the vti imo, Much better to deal with day to day and slightly better low down.

The other option along them lines is a corolla Tsport, bit better ride and cheaper insurance but theres quite a few little niggly things that break but nothing major.

As for a glanza/Gt for a daily its doable but you wont get the creatures comforts or ride quality but you will have boost and easier potential when it comes to modding. However finding a good one that wont blow up on the way home could be a challenge lol

Pottering around town and being able to have some fun sounds alot like you need something with VTEC or VVTI. But of course I have the Corolla T Sport as mentioned by Morgey and I use it day to day. Insurance is reasonable for me 20 with 2 years no claims, tax is a bit more than a Jazz would be but paying it monthly makes it easy, If you are sensible enough you can get 30mpg or more, 34mpg on motorway trips, mines been a bit niggly but it's an old car that's done over 100K but it's never left me at the side of the road. And theres a big breaker who will be able to supply parts on the cheap. Not too much of a modifying scene however. Pre face lifts are very cheap and have less stiffening so probably more comfortable but i wouldn't go as far to say my face lift is uncomfortable or too bashy. The problem is trying to find a good one!

861A53F4-B972-487E-9A97-10FEC01CC6A6_zps

Edited by Cammy R

Hmmmm...decisions decisions lol. Cheers lads for the replies. Okay I have heard that koni fsd's are available for a few cars and make the ride a little better.

Not too long ago (some of you may cringe and or gasp lol) I had Nissan micra 1.4 (whoa!) she was a BEAST!lol, I kid. I liked that car, purely because it was an honest to God kinda car. However then I had a child and think practicality and safety over the get up and go kinda cars I was thinking of over that time period. Hmmmm it's the first time I have heard of a colt czt. The problem that I have with the type r is that you pay proper fan boy tax on it, although perhaps I could afford it, not sure if I want to. I know I know, I'm difficult and picky lol. Hmmmm I'll look Into all of your suggestions. Thanks guys. I have one more thing to say. I was recently bored at work and I was looking around on the Interwebs and found something that just tickled me. It's called a hydrogen hybrid kit, apparently it pumps some hydrogen into the fuel mix, cleans your engine out, gives you some extra torque and gets you, now I emphasise this point UPTO 50% extra fuel economy. Just to add a little more confusion into the mix, I was dithering around with that Idea too, it costs about £1500 though, and some insurers don't insure it however I am aware that a few of them do. Hmmmmmmmmm

Hmmm,I was thinking of a Seat Leon Cupra 280 however I feel that this is a generic choice. I have been looking into this, there were two chaps in here whom also recommend me the Mitsubishi Colt CZT I believe. It's a car that I didn't even know existed! it's the type of thing I want, can be remapped to about 200bhp. Wow, what a car! Cheers lads!

We are getting into the real bang for buck territory now! I kinda like It! It's between the type r and this little Mitsubishi! I know that they are two different cars entirely, one a screamer, tight, thought and a corner munching machine and the other one is a small turbocharged car, softer than the Fiesta St I believe and is a seemingly understated car! It's exactly the quality I am looking for! I like that! It has a slightly sleeper persona too! It looks like I'll have to think this one through lol.

Any other obscure cars worth thinking about? I have a question to the two chaps whom recommended this to me. What's it like to live with on a day to day basis? What about the running costs? Just don't want it running me down into the ground lol.

Thanks for all the replies lads! It's widened my horizon! I feel like a child in a candy store and I haven't even touched nodding yet lol!

The Colt czt is fine to live with..it looks small on the outside but has cleaver folding rear seats almost turns into a litre van can get plenty in the back I carry my dog and golf clubs around in it regularly with no issues..I can get 50 + mpg on the motorway only negatives I would say are the driving position is quite high and the handling isn't great I went from a ep3 type r to a czt and the type r is on a completely different level handling wise but ep3,s are probably one of the best handling cars around the czt is fun I really like it tbh but I'll have to sell it in the new year for a boring diesel 😡 My advice would be go and test a few different cars and see what you like best if your local I'd happily take you out a run in my czt

Edited by Whitenoize

Hey

Its working, I am being swayed towards the Mistubishi Colt CZT, I was even looking last night at the Colt Ralliart, there is a five door variant, I think ill stick to the three door, not only does it look better but its for work so only I will be in it lol. May as well strip it out lol. I kid, seriously though if I hadn't asked on this forum its a car I wouldn't have known about. Any thoughts on this car? Its got one thing as standard I like (because I'm a lazy fat so and so) cruise control lol.

I don't know how such a car slipped under the radar but I guess its because of its understatedness. I would love to go for a spin but I am working 6/7 days a week at the moment due to staff shortages and I don't have the time at the moment.

I apologise if I am rambling on a bit, had seven tubes of blood taken out of me this morning and its just caught up with me and my normal I give a fuck attitude has gone out of the window lol. I'm normally polite but I couldn't care less at the moment even if I tried. I feel like I have smoked some hash and had a pizza and I'm slumped down somewhere on the side of the bed (I did once when I was went to a friends halls at uni, but that's a story for another day lol)

Anywho, thanks for the replies guys! I may be back tomorrow, unless you want to read through my incoherent rambling lol.

Bye guys! I'm going to sit back and rest for a while, once again, I apologise. :wacko: