Think my engine has died

There been some strange rattling noises coming from my engine recently. Car sounds fine on idle but as soon as give it some revs it makes an awful rattling noise. Its been sitting in the garage for a couple of months now so I thought I'd give it a little spin and see if it still running ok (bad idea!)

So the rattling noise was pretty much there all throughout the rev ranges, apart from idle and every now and then when I take my foot of the accelerator. I noticed it was getting a lot worse so I starting making my way home and thats when it got really fucking bad. The rattling just kept louder and louder until eventually it just pretty much died. I only drove about 2 miles with it making this awful rattling but it was rush our on the A34 so I didnt want to stop and fuck everyones day up lol.

Also I dont know if its related but I've been having some issues with the battery recently. That was actually main reason for taking out today was to get the battery changed and its after that on the way home it started to get bad. It didnt happen everytime either but I also noticed that as the ratting got worse everytime I put the clutch in to change gear the engine turned off. I dont know if this is anything to do with new battery or the fucked engine though. There was also a fair amount of oil on the rocker cover around the breather.

So now the car is back in the garage, I had to push it the last few hundred yards as it just completely died, its turning over now but just not starting at all. I dont want to keep trying to start it in case I cause any more damage.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'll try and attach a video I took last month of the engine rattling noise to try and help. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRKXFuQTcok&feature=youtu.be)

Cheers,

Sam

Do a compression test

This.

I have blown my pistons few times and all times engine were worked back to home easily, maybe little oil in windscreen, but it's only oil. Breather fumes act in good condition engine that way, that if You add more gas or rev engine a lot, You hardly see/smell/feel fumes, fumes comes only on idle. When pistons are gone, then when You raise revs, fumes comes very visible and oil fysically comes out from pipes and valves, maybe other seals too. Plus that ratling sound is there also naturally. Test Your engine this way, no need for compression test if pushing out out breathers when reving...

This.

I have blown my pistons few times and all times engine were worked back to home easily, maybe little oil in windscreen, but it's only oil. Breather fumes act in good condition engine that way, that if You add more gas or rev engine a lot, You hardly see/smell/feel fumes, fumes comes only on idle. When pistons are gone, then when You raise revs, fumes comes very visible and oil fysically comes out from pipes and valves, maybe other seals too. Plus that ratling sound is there also naturally. Test Your engine this way, no need for compression test if pushing out out breathers when reving...

Ok cheers for the advice mate. Only a little bit of oil has out of the breather so I'm not too sure if it actually indicates anything. I'm gunna take it apart this weekend and see if can see what the issue is.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah I've started looking for a new one already. I'm not too sure where to go from here though, the way I see it is that I've got 3 options:

1. I could sell it as it is now and get fuck all for it.

2. I could buy another 2nd hand engine for a few hundred quid and hope it doesn't break on me too.

3. I could go all out and forge the fucker.

Any thoughts??