Front side exit exhaust?

Hi all,

It is nearly 2 am and i just had a quick brain wave (you can be the judge) about an exhaust system. I was wondering is there any restrictions on side exit exhausts. Like at MOT time?

The theory is that i want a new exhaust when i get my engine in but i also want a decat as well. I've always fancied a front side exit but never really mentioned it.

Also how loud is it? Will it always have flames? (not too fussed but would be cool every now and then)? Finally which side do you think i should get it on?

Id have a back box (front box) not a simple pipe work system as i wouldn't want it mega loud.

Thanks in advance.

Please also put pics up as i cant find many.

Bourkey

Duno how it would look on a starlet as Ive never seen anything like that. Sounds interesting though. The only thing I will say is if you end up going rear exit I know the entire body of the piping has to be concealed. I know someone did a rear side exit with an Impreza and found you couldnt make it outside the body work like the old AC Cobras because of MOT restrictions.

Flames really depend on your car and I guess to a degree also the structure of piping you go for. And flames will generally only kick if you rev it. You shouldnt really be spitting flames when youre sitting in traffic or anything lol.

it isnt illegal to have a side exit at all, unless it sticks out firther than the extremities of the car, ie, the wing mirrors.

all you have to do is watch the noise. lots of starlets have side exits. i was thinking about getting one for mine made up as it wouldnt be that much aggro.

:lol:

100_1096.jpg

100_1090.jpg

100_1089.jpg

They cut the bottom off my Japspeed de-cat, welded in a bend and then a straight 2.5" pipe to a tanabe back box. Its actually not that loud on idle, but when you go for it all hell breaks lose. Cost me £90 to get made plus £40 for the backbox. I lurve it.

The idea is beginning to grow on me now. I doubt id get pulled over more than i already do anyway. They have a thing about modified cars in my area. They just pull you over to check its the correct person driving and if your speeding of course.

I've never seen it on an N/A bodied car (except when Alex did it for a laugh once) so im hoping it will look right.

@ Montanajr - Does that not get hot and melt the bumper?? Looks really smart that though.

Bourkey

i quite liek the idea of a front exit aswell on my n/a, but could you run one still using the standard cat? actually im gonna go downt o local exhaust place and find out, as it works out cheaper than a full system and means the back end of the car can end up loweer haha

i guess the oem cat could be included when its being built but if your going that far why not go for a high performance cat and be done with it....also even with a cat of sum sort would it pass emissions for the ukdm starlets

you wont be able to have the cat in the stock posistion, it will have to be somewhere else obviously...get it made up, so you can bolt it in and out...so put the cat in for MOT, then after you have passed..unbolt it, and replace with a straight bit of pipe..i.e Decat...

Failed.

1) Had no rear fog.

2) Had no bracket holding silencer to chassis.

3hours later after wiring in a fog, arguing with my dad 'because I told him I needed a rear fog (he disagreed! rofl) and searching for the biggest U-Bolt known to man, I went back and passed. The guy had no problems with it being a front exit, couldn't care less. But all mine has is a bracket from piping to block, and he said that in all cars they have atleast 1 or 2 rear silencer hangers holding the silencer to the car. He said from a safety point of view, if the welds were to break, the silencer would come lose straight away and drop onto the floor. I would either run over it or someone else, which would be dangerous. So I put a huge U-Bolt around the silencer, made up a bracket that bolted to the chassis and that was that. Fair enough I guess.

No other advisorys either :) Lovely stuff.