Does anyone have experience with a holset he221w or a he211w on a 4efte?

Information is hard to come by with them and is mostly used on diesel applications but the compressor map is amazing

he211w_orig.jpg

He211w (Red lines came on the pic)

he221wcompressormapfromcttlbs-1.jpg

He221w

Thinking it could be quite responsive on a stock 4e. 

A freind of mine used one on his fully forged 5E but he fitted it with a bigger comp wheel (billet) from memory it was a 6x6 blade. it made 297 (flywheel) at 1.3 bar boost.

people tend to not like holsets and ive no idea why as parts are cheap to get and easy to come across - If you get the right combination holset you won't have any issues.

go for it and be different.

• 4 months later...

Anyone else got any experience with these turbos? The HE211W has identical turbine wheel dimensions to a TD04L and it's a straight swap, making the 221 a direct fit as most of us have manifolds with the 3 bolt TD04 flange.

2 hours ago, ste91 said:

Anyone else got any experience with these turbos? The HE211W has identical turbine wheel dimensions to a TD04L and it's a straight swap, making the 221 a direct fit as most of us have manifolds with the 3 bolt TD04 flange.

I found some info online which may help, these are the sights where the above graphs are taken from.

http://www.stavtech.co.uk/home/the-ultimate-holset-turbo-guide-probably

http://www.stavtech.co.uk/home/stavs-tech-tips-the-holset-he221w-360bhp-capable-and-fast-spooling-turbo-can-be-easily-fitted-to-standard-subaru-volvo-and-saab-exhaust-manifolds-and-downpipes

Don't forget there is more to turbos than just wheel dimensions, it seems the 211w most often has a 5cm turbine housing where a TD04l -13t Subaru turbo is a 6cm turbine housing. Other sizes may be available. Just choose wisely.

The 221w turbine is TD04HL sized and requires an aftermarket HL Subaru housing to fit according to the second link.

Those are the articles I've already read and pretty much the only information on them that I can find. TD04L/TD04HL and HE221W/HE211W are so similar just one letter or number different it's easy to get them mixed up but yea I've already been through those articles and videos a few times. Doesn't look like anyone has actually tried it though. :(

Very interested in this if you get any more information or decide to give the turbo a try. I'm currently running a td04l hyb and I'm trying to get the surge of power as the turbo switches on down, as well as hold the engine torque up by reducing back pressure, but it's a balancing act. I'm thinking of running the tdo4hl exhaust turbine & housing with the 11 blade aftermarket turbine wheel which is quite a bit lighter than the 9 blade td04l I'm currently running now. The exhaust housing on the hl turbo is wider in the shell also I've got 1 here. 

From what I'm reading the holset turbo seems to be the balance I'm after. 

At the time I was looking at these but finding one was the hard part and they fetch a good 700+ for the turbo. Ended up going the GTX route but the holset turbos have peaked my interest. Only thing is the 211 is found on diesels and diesel and gasoline turbos are quite different. 221w seems like the hot ticket but then again my power goals are higher since I'm going forged 5e.

Only real info I found on these holsets was diesel sites but nothing quite writing about.