What do you think of this?

One of the intrior additions I'd like on my litle 5 door red monster is an induction kit. Its not a priority at the moment but I came across this one for sale on e-bay: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Toyota-Starlet-Turbo...1QQcmdZViewItem

I've seen kits for a lot more than that. Whats the feeling on that. Good value or would it be better to spend a bit more on a well known branded kit?

Wasup Dave

I would email the ebay seller to ask em would it be suitable for your n/a 5 door starlet ;b

A more well known brand would be much more expensive as you say, its the whole kits that cost loads anyway.

If you get hold of a branded air filter and custom it a bit, it would be much more fun.

I have an apexi power intake kit ordered (£110) but its taking its time arriving from japan, I am gonna have to buy some custom bits to make the cold air feed work.

If you wanna see a useful review on induction kits plz read this:

Induction Kit Clicky

Well done on winning the TTE backbox, you are gonna have loadsa fun with it ;b

Are you getting it put on soon?

If you want to know what other useful mods you can do, please check out the topic I started a while ago in the engine and drivetrain page 2. You will see sumthin interesting there ;b It will benefit your proposed induction kit, and its almost essential ;b

Plz let me know who you get on.

Hear from ya soon :huh: !

Peace

From Joz

Cheers for the link, I'm not that clued up on induction kits, reading that's open my mind a bit.

I've just got to arrange a pickup for the TTE backbox I won and as soon as I have I should be able to bang it on stright away.

I will bang some pics of it up soon just not got round to it yet :huh:

Same here Phil mate ;)

The sounds of the exhaust and the engine will soon match!

Hows the apexi lookin?

Mine is still yet to arrive :huh:

Take your time Dave mate, it will all be sorted in good time ;b

Get those pics up when poss ;)

Glad you checked out that induction kit review.

It opened up my mind too.

Peace

Joz

Thats true mate

Best to be as far way from the engine bay and manifolds as possible.

Thats why it would be cool to make up some induction piping to relocate the air filter and set up a cold air feed.

Thats what I will be doing once I get my apexi!!!

Peace

From Joz

Same as Phil mate :huh:

Some induction roar please ;)

Plus its more fun and will complement your exhaust noise lol!

Roll on the Apexi!

I had a K&N panel filter too, sent it back to fund the apexi.

Its still cool if you have it on the n/a as long as you got the JDM manifiold too which will help you get less flatspots and more acceleration and better air intake.

Peace

From Joz

Oh sure Rich!!!!! Once my Apexi arrives u go and remove urs!!!! GOOD ONE!!!! :huh: Well bollox to it, i dont really care wot the recommendations are for hot air, cold air, bhp blah blah blah blah its not a fast car and int gonna be so i just wana hear a nice note! ;)

So there ;) ;) ;) ;)

Phil.

if the filter is going to be positioned in the engine bay, its a waste of time

Put it too close to the ground or in the front bumper though and it's likely to pick up water from the road... Also bad news!

I have a blitz SUS induction kit, ive got a 6" cold air feed going to it though.

Its in the original location but the cold air feed helps alot. i have it located underneath the radiator so some nice cold air flow.

Ive heard the a'pexi and its a bit too "roar'ish" for me..The blitz filter screams at higher revs and sounds insane.Plus i cant be hassled with cotton types any more , the last one i had, had a hole appear in it somehow?! and well yeah, you can guess what kinda problems that led to.

Having an open style filter (blitz ss dustbin, apexi, hks etc) in the engine bay does nothing but loose you performance guys. You much better using the standard airbox with a good panel filter like k & n. This is the same for turbo and na.

Inlet temps will be much higher with a filter sitting in the bay, will be subject to heat soak and will give you flat spots in the rev range. Yeah they sound nice but loose you ponies.

Putting a "cold air feed" is useless, the filter is designed like that for cold air, hence its open and not incased to protect it from heat, and sitting in the corner of an engine bay will mean one thing only, cold feed or not, heat!! The blitz is the worst as its HHUUGGEEE, doesn't have particularly good filtration properties and its s/s so it gets hot! Fine if its relocated where its cold but its so big this is usually impossible in the smaller cars.

The problem with the na is that to relocate a filter from the throttle body, you have to actually increase the inlet length, so although your now getting cold air, it will take longer to get to the throttle body, so your nearlly cancelling out your good work! So in my opinion best to just use the airbox with a panel filter, this will give you the best performace for the least ££££

I did a 16.1 in my 4efe SR, and then I converted to 4efte and did a 14.2 ;)

Turbo is a similar problem, I have persueded many owners that what they are doing is pointless, they have changed back to panel and what a difference. Check out the posts on gtturbo.com. With the 4efte, its simpler to relocate the filter, as the turbo is at the front, so you can quite literally relocate the filter straight off the turbo to the front of the car with a 90 degree bit of silicone. The problem with this is that the w/gate design on the ct9 can't handle the new amount of cold air, and the speed in which it is being forced due to the reduced inlet lengths (turbo spools quicker). This can cause boost creep, I experienced this by testing differnt setups. With a stock gt exhaust system, I relocated filter and boost was uncontrollable, I was just careful in testing. The only way of stopping it is by balancing the inlet and exhaust gases (restrictor in exhaust), portig the w/gate (which can lead to premature cracking), welding the w/gate shut and using a external w/gate (almost pointless due to cost implacations ) or a new turbo lol!

Anyway excuse the essay, its my day off he he! Just my 2 c :huh:

Tobs

• 2 weeks later...

Well it depens what your going for really. If your going for sound get an induction kit. I had a Quikshift induction kit on mine at first (about £60) then i put a universal max power induction kit (cost me £20 and made the same noise)

Toby is right though, the panel filter is the best way, you could also drill a hole in the air box then for a cold air feed and put it as low in the bumper as you can (making sure its going to get plenty of air) it wont make as much of a noise but there will be an increase in top end performance.

This is my Quikshift Induction kit

This is what im going for when i can be bothered to relocate the battery to the boot! The only real difference will be the long stainless steel pipe goin to where the battery used to sit with a hoooge pipercross cossie filter on it with a clod air feed going into the sheild. Should perform well and sound awesum :lol:

LOOK:-

post-55-1141496284_thumb.jpg