Current Civic EG owner but wants to go astray..

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice to know there are fellow Chinese on here :p Can't believe I am still awake scrolling around and reading.. I'm slowly forming what I think would be ideal for me.. something with LSD, has some mods done to the handling side of things, engine not all that important.. and if it can be yellow all the better :D was that a factory available colour?

Oh shoot, i forgot Joz, my brother Big T and Chinaone are chinese too :D oops guys for missing you out. hehe.

welcome along, im amazed on the little mazda 6. did you make it using playdough? never seen a model one before

That little model is made by Tomy, they made something like hundreds of minatures of cars, even limited edition stuff as well, but it was just coincidence that the only Mazda 6 model they made was in yellow :p

Sorry for getting you guys arguing about this topic of Civic VS Starlet/Glanza V.. Sounds like I missed one big post? I think after reading the comments I've sort of come to the conclusion that there are 2 different styles of driving involved to get these cars driving fast.. N/A is easier as the power is kind of on or off, and the delivery of it is very linear and almost instant.. turbo there is a moment of build up and then bam you get kicked from behind and going.. so I can understand where people come from when they say about cornering as sudden movements of the loud pedal can easily upset things.. Need to retrain my driving skills.. what skills :D

Once again thanks for the advice, I think I am still undetered as I'm sure I can get a Starlet to perform the way I want it to.. and give me the rewards as well, especially the turbo whoosh hee hee.. think thats what does it for me.. :D

Oh shoot, i forgot Joz, my brother Big T and Chinaone are chinese too :D oops guys for missing you out. hehe.

Sounds like there is a presence of Chinese fans too!! Guess the Starlet/Glanza V runs in the family for you Shelly :D

There seems to be quite a large crowd of Chinese on the Civic and Teg forums.. but I want to be a rebel and try something new! Worse comes to worse I can always go back? Right now I'm still just exploring and finding something that will work for me and allow me to have bags and bags of fun in something that doesn't cost me an arm and leg.. I don't need the fastest or best handling machine in the world to have fun on track.. but something that suits me and my style of driving.. I've tested the Civic and yes its bags of fun and can keep up with Nissan 300ZX cars and a TVR Chimeara(sp?) time to go turbo and see if I can handle it.. I think ultimately I am testing which type of driver I am before going full out and properly spending on big money turbo cars, or sticking with N/A and getting engine swapping..

But so far I like it here alot, everyone I've spoken to or read replies on here have been really friendly or informative or even both! Cheers guys!!

i might do the opposite in the future as i would love a mint ek4 allways loved em. would love a turbo ek4 now that would be pure sweetness. saw one on youtube a well nice black one on the motorway and it droped a gear and if it had wings it would have taken off it looked mental

Hmm.. Now I am getting more and more torn apart with my decisions..

Does anyone know where to point me to information about the chassis setup, i.e anti roll bars, size of them, pictures maybe, easily avilable chassis parts. Are there any like pure Toyota modding shops, like Hondas have VTEC Direct, what is the Toyota / Glanza equivelent?

Cheers guys! So far it seems like a more friendly forum that some I have been..

lol, after looking on Toy Tuning I am very much more reasured! I'm happy to see so much choice! As much as the Civic, so I can then be picky and choose the bits that work for me =) Only fear I have is having so much choice you can pick up "crap" I know there are tons available for the Civic.. >_< But I've stuck to OEM DC2 teg stuff and decent brands such as Cusco, and I see Cusco and Whiteline stuff is available at decent prices so I'm defo going to set a couple of K aside for sorting the handling!! Also going to be trolling the for sale section once I get the car =P Now just need to find one and get teh funds ready hee hee..

I think the fire for the EP91 is burning brighter now! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction again guys!

First thing is first need to get rid of the Civic.. but thats not the easiest of things to do.. as it will ideally want to go to a enthusiast or I revert it back to almost standard and sell parts off seperate from the car.. or failing that a swap for a Glanza V in white 98 spec with LSD and front mounted intercooler with some light engine mods so I can then concentrate on the handling :D:D

Guest Enzo
Hmm.. Now I am getting more and more torn apart with my decisions..

Does anyone know where to point me to information about the chassis setup, i.e anti roll bars, size of them, pictures maybe,

ok bud il squeeze this out under the influence

It takes a very skilled driver to get the most out of an ep chassis regardless of what spring and dampers are in place. The starlet chassis is exploitable but to the average Joe punter,(or cal) safe also with rakes of understear on the limit & with lift off overstear there if you want it,

you could describe the handling as timid plus ultimate cornering speeds are bellow par. these are all facts (as gayboy ecsjay would put it more bluntly in a condisening knowit all fassion,)

dont get me wrong, eps are Still chuckable enough to have fun with but not the last word in ultimate handling, in a way thats good as you dont have to be goin as fast to have fun,

any of us ep guys will know, uve been ragging it across you favorit twisty road getting the banter in your turbo ep with a mate whos pulling just pulling away in a car that shines out of the box, apart from driving out of your skin to keep u[ you ul realise the inherint weeknesses within the chassis. not to reitoerate i say this id down to a poorly set up chassis, some resected ep junkys on this forum would say this is down to the beam axle at the back,(our guru starletrick once said"they are used on trucks for fucksake"my reply, aye on the front aswell as the back axles) the ep does have a half decent chassis macpherson struts at the front(where the stearing happens) its just not setup correctly.

there are a whole heap of modifications out there that can bring the starlet to the forefront handling wise. This is quite an interesting subject to discus if you are into how your ep handles. every part mentioned here can be obtained from Toytuning within the forum but as toby is anal about speakin on the phone + always has too much on his plate maybe try dave at starletgtturbo.co.uk, hes always helpfull and loves to craic on the phone:)

The first two suspension additions you should add to any starlet as soon as you buy it are

• a rear anti roll bar
  • Front anti lift/castor kit

rear anti rollbar (a must)

all hot hatchbacks come with a rear anti roll bar as standard(one of a few reason why the ek9 handles so well is becauseof this) why Toyota never decided to fit one to the mighty ep is a mystery to me. The job of the anti roll bar is to increase roll stiffness of the chassis the right way. so abit of detail, i think you probably know this as your pretty clued up.........Fitting an uprated front arb will promote more understeer(great for drift cars to hone your setup). Fitting an uprated rear arb has the reverse tendancy to reduce understeer and increase overstear.

P1020394.jpg

* i a must do modification to any ep

Fitting a rear arb will drastically reduce the understear any starlet is plagued with making the ep a lot more neutral bringing the car more in touch with its French counter parts. It will make the car feel allot more planted to the road and chuckable at higher speeds.

It is worth noting that the illusion of travelling at speed will disappear. So you will find yourself entering corners a lot faster than normal due to the car feeling less nervous as roll stiffness is increased. This is the best way I can describe the positive affects of fitting a rear anti roll bar.

Experienced drivers would have fun on the thicker settings that are available on some of the adjustable arb kits out there. Think of lift off overseer on demand around any nice sweeping radius roundabout then you get the picture. Not too dissimilar to any of the fluid handling French hot hatches that also share similar dated but supremely effective technology.

most people will wade in with stiff coilovers to improve handling and increasing roll stifness after experiencing a fair share of set ups I strongly believe this is the wrong answer to getting the most out of the starlet chassis when you consider the state of roads in certain parts of the country.so a quality set of matched springs and shox should suffice, .but as u will be trackin it ignore that, just pay some attention to the spring rates on the coylys ma man

unless you have driven ep’s for years and your in touch with the handling capability of an ep you will constantly find yourself guessing how much adhesion you have available at the front of your starlet every time you jump in or a ragging session, very anoying, this is mainly due to the lack of steering feel. Ask any decent Racing driver how to improve steering feel and they will tell you to increase the caster

Anti lift castor kit. (a must)

It’s a written rule the more castor to a certain point you have on a car will increase the steering feel giving you much more information to your finger tips as to what the front of the car is actually doing.

The way this kit actually works is by placing a 10-12mm block under the front control arm bushes pushing the radius of the wheels back,

The anti lift properties come from the new offset bushes that come within the kit…………..

P1020395.jpg

* note - when fitting make sure the mounting hole is positioned to the outside of the car

Think of a primitive lsd then you get the picture. This is a very noticeable modification that will heighten the confidence in any persons driving ability as you will have more of an idea of front adhesion levels . Especially in greasy and wet conditions.

sorry for the drunken rant lols :D

If there was a smiley that showed bowing I would be using it! Yes that information makes perfect sense, and I am surprised to learn it doesn't come with a rear ARB as standard, but great there are ones available. I'm the type of person who tends to stick with shocks and springs, as going for coilovers and I don't admit I will be doing tons of track days, just occasional, it doesn't seem justify to get coylies.. also due to the fact to properly set them up you need corner weight/scales etc etc.. and also they cost an arm and leg, so I don't mind the trade off as thats my current setup in the Civic as well..

I'll defo take the advice of the castor kit as I like to have feedback from the front, hence why the Civic doesn't have power steering, not just to get a extra BHP or 2 or make my arms massive, but so I can feel everything thats going on.. The rear does sound like the weakspot compared to the Civic, but it can be ammended, and I'll probs get used to it anyway..

The Civic is, as you rightly guessed, the B16A2 DOHC Vtec engine, so it is a lifetime wait until you hit 5K revs before anything dramatic happens..

I'll take that advice and digest it :lol:

Many thanks Enzo!

• 2 months later...

WooHoo!! I now have an EP82 :p Turbo is scarily addictive.. especially with a BOV >_< I certainly understand why LSD is such a high demand item and how it handles completerly different to a Civic.. need to learn power delivery and driving all over again lol.. this is going to be fun owning one of these pocket rockets!! Going to be a full sinigng member on here learning!!

nice one mate...i was going to say if your going to get down to any shows this year..im sure my bro would happily take your for a spin in his ep82 when its finished in a couple of weeks to see what its like for a track setup (fully stripeed, tein coilys, arb, struts etc etc)...night-spirts would be the ultimate..but only has 1 seat :p....

Get some pics up of your '82 mate..would love to see it

Rob

WooHoo!! I now have an EP82 :p Turbo is scarily addictive.. especially with a BOV >_< I certainly understand why LSD is such a high demand item and how it handles completerly different to a Civic.. need to learn power delivery and driving all over again lol.. this is going to be fun owning one of these pocket rockets!! Going to be a full sinigng member on here learning!!

yeah its totaly diffrent to a starlet, i know when i went from my civic to the glanza, i had to drive it totaly diffrent! spesh when hittin full boost in such low rpms, unlike the civic when power comes in top end!

I'll try and take some pics this lunch time on phone and then upload tonight when I get a chance.

Defo totally different! I get both understeer and over steer!! I couldn't get over steer if I lift off gently but with this fella I can!! Need to be very gentle.. but will go for ARBs and strut braces thats for sure! And maybe funds permitting suspension as well.. then the usual nice things like a quieter egg sauce and alloys lol.. whatever comes up for sale on here lol.. At the moment its not to everyone's taste with a huge ICE setup where the rear seats use to be so going to get rid of that and put seats back in so its a practical daily fun run around for me.. Mazda 6 2.3 litre fuel economy isn't very good lol, especially doing about 26miles a day round trip to get to work!

Can't wait til I get to the nitty gritty and start doing little bits of work on it.. but this time probably give it to a garage to do rather than my own hands as I struggle for time these days >_<

Thanks for the warm comments guys!! Going to have to get myself down to a meet me thinks!

if its on the stock suspension, you will notice a massive difference after changing to upgraded shocks and springs or (decent) coilovers, the stock shocks are prob a bit tired too so thats something to consider along with the stuff mentioned above.

Yup, thats what I got in mind, some decent suspension and anti roll bars.. I know with a little fettling it will feel like a completerly different car! Now to count pennies lol..

And here are the promised pics.. Enjoy :p

P1030924.jpg

P1030921.jpg

P1030925.jpg

P1030928.jpg

P1030931.jpg

P1030932.jpg

P1030934.jpg

Thanks,

Albert.