Craig Black Starlet Sr

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Bit of a up date,

So far with the 4efte we have had nowt but problem with it!!

It has been off road 3weeks now which should have taken 3days.

First ed and craig got the 4efte in, every thing on bolted up good to go,

Then we got a problem with the sparking so we had a bloke called ian come out, and he got it sparking.

Second prolbem, they found out that the timing was way out, so last week i had all the timing set, Then it would not spark again. and to top it off the water pump was totaly fucked.

Ian went over today got it sparking again so Ed and ian got fire up, then it was chucking oil and water out the exhaust and the rad hose was going flat (ed can explain mre about that) so now i have a bigger problem, its ither the head gasket or the head is cracked, i havent a clue. As far as i know this engine could be fucked all together. I paid £450 for a engine which dosent run and was told its in good condition.

I havent even drove the car due to all the problems and iam loosing intreast fast.

If its going to cost more than i exspect i am having the 4efe put back in and i will be braking it after the summer and getting a mx5.

I will learn from my mistakes and if they is a next time i will go and see a engine running for my self insteasd of looking at a video!!

:thumbsup:

For anyone who is wondering, Craig bought the engine off me last year. It came out of the white GT I had which I decided to break. I seriously can't understand how the timing was out, or the headgasket is buggered? The water pump could be worn but that's just general wear and tear, I had that engine up and running so many times, even fitted a Sard K24 kit to it but then unfortunately needed the money for the Glanza so sold everything. If it was buggered I would have just sold it in parts and I could have made around the same amount of money, but I am certain it was working 100% before I removed it out of the car. :thumbsup:

If I had any sort of doubt that it was actually ruined when I sold it, I'd refund you, like I did with Dub-se7en when I sold him an engine that wasn't working very well.

Sorry to hear about all the trouble though. :o

Thats a fucking cunt mate, feel for you :thumbsup:

Who sold you the engine? Did you have it apart or literally just dropped it in?

Hope you get it sorted will be awsome when running tidy.

he engine was literally dropped into the car as it was brought to me - not a bolt removed from it.

firstly the cam belt had slipped about an inch and was propper slack

the thing now is that we have the car electrics sorted so that it runs but the problem is that when the engine is running it throws mostly water and a bit of oil out of the exhaust ports and also the rad pipes are being sucked so they are flat, usually the pressure is opposite of that with the water/coolant spitting at you - so to have it doing the complete opposite and sucking water from the coolant system and blowing it out the engine is bad. and that either the head is cracked inside and/or the headgasket is gone.

i really cannot see how this damage could have been have just occured with the engine not running and just being out headgaskets only really go when overheating takes place and warps/cracks the head.

Didnt strip the block, Didnt realy think to do that as i though it be good to go.

I havent even drove the car with the engine in and it was the first time it has been started up since i got the engine, so all the fault with the engine cant have owt to do with me because i havent even run it.

I really wish i didnt go ahead with the conversion now, Thrown just over 2k at it and all i have got is a fucked engine!!

Sorry to hear about all the probs your getting with this engine, but if you could give me some advice, as i am looking at getting the glanza plate surround and noticed you have fitted it to yours. Did you have to cut any thing or was it just a quick change over from the normal n/a rear???

nooo this is bad news :/ Hope you manage to sort this out, this car is soo mint! actually gutted for you, the time with her off the road must be killin ya..

I have actually never noticed your seats before, im actually on the hunt for some similar :thumbsup: what recaros are they?

wish i could lend a hand somehow :o

point is though he bought an engine described as good condition for £450 quid which has already had £200 worth of work done on it but still needs about another £200 spending on it to make it right !

so thats £850 for an engine that might not even work still

For the glanza surround i had to have the boot cut so the fog/reverse light fitted, then just drilled and cliped the surround in.

All i know the recaros are 98spec, and i have a buyer if i sell lol.

Been thinking about putting having the n/a back in because i could get the head done and then have another problem so i am just wasting my money.

Like whiteglanza said £850 on a engine which may not run, to me is a waste of time.

I am 70% wanting to put the n/a back in and try and get my money back for the engine ;)

Got to say a big THANKS to ed (whiteglanza) who has helped me out hell of alot these last few weeks

sounds to me like you have connected the water feed and vacuum lineson the throttle body incorrectly!!! id check against someone elses car to see if there on the correct way, if not it will give you the symptoms you describe

just swapped the vac pipes round i did have one on the wrong way so i will admit to that lol ;) seems to be running ok at the minute so we shall see what happens just need to tighten the oil fed as a tiny bit is seeping and also bleed the clutch and tidy it up and it should be good to go ;) yay