Who can remember the Sega Megadrive?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

now people say old school was better and the games were more challenging but come on. thats just a sign of age lol.

'i remember in my day we never used to have graphics, we used to stab each other for fun' lol

That fucking micro machines was hard, top down view racing game with bad control...

All those "mega games" or something they were called with 3 games in one were great.

And...

Golden Axe

Streets of Rage

Alien Storm

Rolling Thunder 2

great two player games.

fuck me...kids...

I remember my first home console...PONG.

Then I moved up to a Commodore 16 (like the 64 only a different colour and completely shite) then my mate got a NES, he was the coolest kid in the school. I got a Master System, which was total shite too. Then finally, I bought a Japanese MegaDrive with Thunderforce III it was the greatest thing in the world ever. A SNES followed that, then a Comodore Amiga 600 (fucking awesome), then a Sega Saturn (toss) then a Sega Dreamcast (overhyped toss), PS1, then an X-Box, then a Wii for the wife...and now...what pinnacle of home video gaming do I own?

A Killer Instinct arcade cabinet with ORIGINAL (yes kids, cartridges you can slice your hands open on, big enough to sleep on) PCBs of Final Fight, SF2 etc.

Anyone can come round and play on it...it's set at 50p a go :lol:

This thread has made me all nostalgic

*clicking sound as Mark slots Metal Slug X into the Neo Geo*

I used to love skipping school to go down the local arcade and play Street Fighter 2 Rainbow Edition (now got the PCB of that...and it's shit).

We have another arcade cabinet at work, used to be Primal Rage but the boss converted it to MAME and we play Pang every single day. A new developer joined the company, only 17! never even heard of Pang...little bastard is now top of the leaderboard.

Pesky kids.

Not that expensive...the wife bought it me for christmas? £250? but if you look on Ebay you can pick 'em up much cheaper if you're prepared to do some work :)

Converting a cabinet to MAME isn't a big big task, just takes time (something I'm yet to do). That cab can play all Jamma PCBs and Neo Geo carts like King of Fighters, Samurai Showdown etc.

Don't underestimate the size and weight of them though, we had to strip mine down to the bare shell to lift it, then it literally filled the door frame putting it in the study.

This does bring back some memories!

I have to admit, the last time I bothered to play on a console was when Crash Bandicoot came out on Playstation one. Since I havent bothered, just shit now a days to me. All this SIMS crap.

I used to love playing The Simpsons game on those arcade boxes back in the day!

Gouls and Ghosts was quite hard if I remember corectly only managed to get passed the 1st level. I might have to dig it out sometime.

To list a few games:

Sonic 1, 2, 3

Sonic and Knuckles

Aladin

Ghouls and Ghosts

Indiana Jones

Micromachines 2

Micromachines Armed Forces

Moto GP

Fifa 95

Golf Pro Tour 97 (or something)

And a few more I can't remember... :)

Oh and I had a MegaDrive II ;)

I got the MegaDrive before it was even released in the UK, the Jap version (faster machine) you could tell this from the purple band near the power light, it was a few years before Sonic came out if I recall. My first game was ThunderForce III, then I think I moved on to Desert Strike, John Madden, NHL etc etc.

Still think the Amiga was the daddy in the day...by a long long way. Lotus Esprit Turbo Challange anyone? or Syndicate/Cannon fodder/Sensible Soccer/Blood Money/Alien Breed/Ikari Warriors.

Memories :)