Modern Toyota = Disappointing

Is it just me or does anyone else not like modern cars? I'm probably just being too biased as I loved the 90's, a 90's car is what I consider a real car.

Anyway, I was reading up on the Yaris SR expecting it to be a massive improvement but no...

Over ten years later and the latest 1.3 liter engine in the Yaris SR is no better of a performer than the good old 4EFE.

Even more pathetic, is the 1.8 liter. 131 BHP from a 1.8 is PATHETIC! The 1.8 in the gen 7 Celica makes either 140 or 190 bhp depending on which model, so what's the deal with this pansy 131 bhp engine? Ok, it's probably better on emissions or economy but for fuck sake, 131 bhp from a 1.8, what are Toyota playing at? 0-60 in 9 seconds is again achievable by a (modded of course) 4EFE!

So then you look at the old T Sport. Much better looking than the newer Yaris I think. And definately a better performer - the 1.5 liter engine produces a meagre 103 bhp but can take the T Sport to 60mph in under 9 seconds. Why didn't Toyota just keep the better looking, faster Yaris T-Sport instead of this hideous underpowered crap we get in 2008?

Before anyone mentions - I am not interested in safety, luxuries, nice interiors, bootspace, fuel economy, or anything of that sort here, of course the modern cars are probably better to live with but as far as performance figures on paper go the modern cars are looking pretty bad.

Was bored so thought I'd write this up :D

I am with you on the older cars being better cars. i also worked at toyota in sales when they re-released the SR yaris. I ahve to say the 1.3petrol and 1.4D were poorly lame but the 1.8 yaris was great fuin. it is dissapointing that they have not come on very far in such a long time, i think its due tro all the safety regs etc meaning they fill yje car with extra safety precautions and therfore they end up weighing more and become slower..

I would presume a lot of it's down to all the new regulations regarding emissions on new cars etc

Although have noticed there's a fair few bigger engine'd cars not producing huge amounts of power

For example, the 1997-2003 Mitsubishi Galant with a 2.5 V6 24v engine produces only 161bhp

i think its to do with toyotas ethos of making economical cars, that are easier and cheaper to build on a budget.

look at the old vitz rs turbo with its engine made of straw, if you blew much above standard boost it would take a terminal fit - as the engine was built to cost

japan experienced a heavy downturn of sporting performance models in the early 00's with alot of choice performance oriented cars killed off

and on the whole have started making blandish cars again acept for a few exceptions

if we look at the europeans they are definatly going in the right direction

To be honest i love the look of the new Yaris SR and the new Auris SR. Yes the performance could be better but how many people do you know that would by a Yaris or an Auris for performance. It's all about practicality and economy these days. It's a shame i know but it's what the majority of the people want and it's what fills the pockets of the car companies;).

The only thing i would say i don't like about newer cars is the massive amount of plastic under the bonnet. I like to see the engine not something that should belong in an Action Man toy car.

Bourkey

Before anyone mentions - I am not interested in safety, luxuries, nice interiors, bootspace, fuel economy, or anything of that sort here, of course the modern cars are probably better to live with but as far as performance figures on paper go the modern cars are looking pretty bad.

We know enthusiasts like ourselves are interested in nice fast and modded cars, but take the average age of a Toyota owners near to the 60's no need for power.

TBH Toyota make millions daily, they dont need to make a fast car because the market isn't there for them anymore...

But everyone wants Toyota to come back with something good but it may be years for them to make a 'sporty' car again, nothing left in the range now!

Peace out Sam

it is annoying but even if they did come out with something new and quick like the starlet chances are pricks would drive them and most of us wouldnt be able to afford them. <<< i may be speaking for myself but starlets are the enthusiasts car as there imports and relatively cheap.

I personally cant see me owning a car newer than 2000 unless its something like a R8, S3, M3 or something in that range :huh:

I love mid 90's cars like RX7's, Supra's etc they all still look ahead of their time even today ;)

I personally cant see me owning a car newer than 2000 unless its something like a R8, S3, M3 or something in that range :huh:

I love mid 90's cars like RX7's, Supra's etc they all still look ahead of their time even today ;)

Agreed, except for the part about the rubbish german cars ;)

The cars around these days are toys compared to what we had before 2000....diagnostic code this, electric this :lol:

dad drives a 1lt 52 yaris n he hates the living day lights out of it (cant wait to get rid he sold his beloved corolla 2.0XLD for it) the yaris is slow no lack of power what so ever even compared to other 1lts, shitty loose gear changing our neighbours have a jap assembled one n ever other week it throws on the EM light saying the car is running to lean its been serviced,well maintained,injectors cleaned, they vary where they fill up at n still comes up!

only good thing about cars today is fuel eco.....which is whats running the car industry being eco friendly and CO2 emmisions.

its up to enthusiasts like us to keep the old solid reliability alive... :lol:

the old SR yaris is awesome.

end of.

You mean the original T-Sport Yaris?

Dad loved his when he had it, simply because he could chuck it about like nobodys business. I reckon he misses having a smaller hatch like that, he almost seems reluctant to drive the Corolla T-Sport when he's been in my N/A Starlet.

Even though the Corolla could outhandle my Starlet most probs :lol: