Having a lil' moan

Just wondering, do other peoples families (for those of you who live with parents etc) help or hinder you with modifying your car?

Am not allowed to keep car parts in the garage, get moaned at if there's parts lying about in my room.

Am not allowed to do any 'messy' work (anything involving fluid) on the drive. Also get comments if I make too much noise leaving/coming home.

And the thing that annoyed me most though was the other day when I was saying about suspecting my brakes were warped, the reply was 'good, serves you right for modifying it'

Grrrr

*mini rant over*

Once it gets beyond a point, they shouldnt mind as long as you keep everything tidy.

I have a whole itb rebuild sitting in my office at home but its put away neatly.

Mind you, everyones 'rents' are different, you may find your stuff in binbags outside lol.

It does help if your old man is into cars, then you have some leeway.

Can't help you there really MJ.

Joz

Hey, i kinda have the same problem rents dont want me to "waste" money on it because its "old" and not "sporty"....i can get away with messy stuff n having parts in my room because dads a grease monkey so its ok (mum has a go but i always win in the end lol). It all turned in to a big argument to other night as they say its distracting me from my studies etc and so we came to an agreement that i wil put what parts i have on it, drive it, and only do maintanence work but save for a glanza in the mean time....which im quite happy with tbh.

Also didn`t your rents not buy you the alloys? a gift none the less but...kinda feeding the modding gremlin imo.

That's the thing Joz, no-one in my family is into cars other than me.

Dad likes motorsport, but he regards that as completely different to road cars (which it is lol) and it's not the cars in motorsport he cares about, tis the sport he's interested in.

Would think after spending nearly £2000 on it so far they'd stop moaning whenever something comes in the post, but no :o

^^^^ exactly I've got an engine and gearbox in bits round the back of the house...! n its stayin that way till i can bother my ass to strip it.. parents dont really mind long as ma da can drive the car to the shops now and again... semms to keep him happy since his toys off the road at the min...(rs turbo) :o

And yes Asad, well remembered

They did buy my wheels, but maybe they were hoping if they gave me nice wheels I wouldn't be so inclined to buy other stuff to make it nice, but they were wrong :o

Wheels are a bit different to other mods though I suppose, as loads of people who aren't even into modding will change the wheels on their car.

Is just annoying when they make snide remarks when i have niggles saying 'serves you right' etc

lol it starts from the wheels.....im taking a random stab at saving every started off by saying "i only want nice wheels on it" and then £x ammount later they want more.

TBH my dads never taken my car onto the motorway (60-80 is fookin crazy) i want to hand him the keys one day when were going somewhere then show him that this "old" car still has a few tricks up its sleeve. The remarks are most likely to put you off modding it?

EDIT: My car is my only hobby i dont spend money on anything else or go out drinking, clothes etc...just bob mabe they are worried about your money? the way the countrys going? i would love to hear idrees`s comments and thoughts as his project has been going on for a while i guess he may have had alot of stick off people??

My Dad has know one to blame but himself for my driving style and passion for cars and bikes :D

Being an ex-motocross rider and rally driver it was always going to be in the blood, and growing up around fast cars.

He doesnt mind me modding the car and we always do the work on it but he doesnt like it when I "break" things :o

Mine have no problem with it but my dad interferes with EVERYTHING I do to the car. And while I appreciate his help it does get annoying sometimes when he just takes over... but then again, it's not that bad and I don't mind it too much, but sometimes it pisses me off when he thinks he knows everything and just completely takes over as if it's his own car. He has no problem going for a blast in it either lol and I think he'd probably buy a Glanza if he could.

I don't ever have stuff lying around, we don't have a garage and the shed is mostly full with tools and toys... I keep everything in my bedroom, had wheels and tyres in here 6 months ago, the tyres made the room smell bad :o

My Dad has know one to blame but himself for my driving style and passion for cars and bikes harhar.gif

haha same here

My parents are fine too. They have never moaned not once. Even when I have had a friends car sitting in the garden for weeks they didn't mind. Although I don't tend to have parts lying around or anything.

But my partner has issues. His car is in a garage now, but when he parked it in the garden his mum would moan about the noise. (Evo 3 and very loud!). She moans at him for spending money on it, like new turbo etc. He has spent about £10,000 on this one alone and she moans about it. But its nothing to do with her, and he doesn't spend money on anything else.

Mine hate it but I've got so much of the Car in my room, garage, loft, shed its a bit hard for them to say no :o

I think my dad has come round to seeing it from my point of view but he's more interested in getting it through the MOT...

Lol, yes this is typical & i get it.

At the end of the day if my parents get annoyed with parts in the store room being in the way, i simply move them.. As long as i live at home i'll live according to the rules.

My dad moaned quite a bit really. He didn't like people washing their cars at mine as there was 5 of us at one point :D. He moaned when people came to do stuff to their cars at the house. He also moaned at the huge amount of car parts i had in the garage.

Got pretty sick of it in the end and solved it by moving out. My girlfriend doesn't care as long as all the lovely new furniture we have doesn't get wrecked, and shoes off in the house due to the cream carpets. I have my own lock up now in my yard and my car gets locked in the yard every night. It's like my own bit of space i can use for messing with my car. The car also stays there pretty much all week now as well as me and the girlfriend car share to work.

Obviously all my chums are welcome to come and mess about with thier cars at mine. Thats if their car can get up the drive :D. I have had to make a ramp so mine doesn't scrape up :o.

Bourkey

My dad moaned quite a bit really. He didn't like people washing their cars at mine as there was 5 of us at one point :D . He moaned when people came to do stuff to their cars at the house. He also moaned at the huge amount of car parts i had in the garage.

Bourkey

Not surprised with 5 cars being washed at your old mans house :o

I would never dare.

I used to always get moaned at for buying so many parts because my mum would have to stay home to answer the door or my dad would have to get out of bed (he works late nights).

I used to always get moaned at for spray painting and leaving a mess in the garage and garden.

But now? Well me and my bro have loud exhausts, the neighbours are bored of complaining, we have a breaking Glanza in the middle of the garden and a garage full of car crap. So we've just taken over and out parents don't really mind. They see it as a hobby just like we do, and say its better than dossing on the streets. :o

Moan? My dad positively encourages me!

"So, heard anything about that strutbrace yet?", and so on :D

Doesn't help that he's a Toyota petrol head himself, and is still chucking his Corolla T-Sport around pitch black country lanes at the age of 60!! :D He's practically had a Toyota all his life, of some shape or form, so it was obviously going to be in the blood ^-^

And Mum doesn't mind! There's been a TTE spoiler for my starlet, my old wheels, Dad's sideskirts, all in the shed for at least a good 4 months :o As long as it's out of the way, theres no fuss.

my parents are the same they moan but they dont mind what i do my dads into his cars too but all the parts ive got lying around annoys them ive got the 4efe in the garden along with 2 sets of steelies 2 exhaust systems front wings a shed full of interior items my bedrooms the same ive got bumpers and headlights in my room, the time they moaned the most was when i put my bonnet in the bath to dry, they laughed at first. my dad carnt say much as he once stripped a motorbike in the bathroom, so when he moans i usually bring this up and i win the argument :o

Yeah my parents are cool with me modding my car, my mum dont like me making it faster but she says " i rather see you spend all your money on your car than waste it on drugs and booze like some others do" :D so she has a good point there, and my dads giving the drive up for me soon so i can fit my hybrid turbo instead of doing it on the street, and my dad hates parking his Beamer anywhere but the drive, now thats what i call a wicked dad :o , cheers starlybruiser :D