Just bought a Starlet as a runabout- any hints and tips?

Hello all,

I am a newbie here and bought a very cheap Starlet as a runaround while I fix my classic cars. (One needs a lot of work for the MOT and t'other was hit a week ago and is awaiting insurance repair).

I am going to pick the car up this lunch time it is a 1996 Starlet 2-door sportif. I am a competent DIY enthusiast on classic cars and would appreciate any maintainance tips- things to check for and do to ensure my runabout remains reliable. What manual to buy (is the Haynes any good for this model) and where to get parts should I need any?

many thanks for reading this

cheers

John

You wont be disappointed with it aslong as it's been kept well, I have a Sportif myself and you shouldn't find any problems with it, there are hardly any electrical goodies so there should be no electrical problems, the engines are mostly bulletproof aslong as they have been maintained so no problems there either.

If you are interested in modding it check out the technical section there's loads of info in there.

How many miles are on it just out of interest?

You wont be disappointed with it aslong as it's been kept well, I have a Sportif myself and you shouldn't find any problems with it, there are hardly any electrical goodies so there should be no electrical problems, the engines are mostly bulletproof aslong as they have been maintained so no problems there either.

If you are interested in modding it check out the technical section there's loads of info in there.

How many miles are on it just out of interest?

Thanks for the quick reply!

Bullet proof reliabillity- thats what I'm hoping for while I fix my other cars. I just wanted a basic reliable cheap transport to keep me going.

It's done 89,000 miles, but there are a lot of service history stamps in the book- the car was serviced earlier this year and the cam belt changed two years ago. Engine sounds sweet and the car drove nicely.

cheers

John

:o

89k is fine for a run around, if it was serviced this year and the belt was changed two years ago, aslong as the oil has been changed recently aswell then you wont have to touch it for a long time now (unless you're interested in modding it but I'm guessing you're more interested in your other cars), they are great cars and good on fuel too!

Thanks for the tips on parts dealers folks. Yes you are right about tinkering. I am going to change the oil and filter this weekend as the last owners let it run down to the min- oil looks OK, but I like to keep the oil good in my cars. The MOT expires in the spring (it was a cheap car) so the next bit of work would be to get it through the next MOT. I might also have a look at the air filter and make sure its reasonably clean.

Thanks for taking an interest in my other vehicles. I have a 1990 Porsche 944 S2 which is in need of quite a bit of work for the MOT-

My other vehicles are Morris Minors. My Morris Traveller is roadworthy MOT'd and running but somebody crashed into the wing last week and one headlight is out of alignment- I can't drive it safely at night and it will soon be off for insurance repairs.

Hence the Starlet- I need a car that goes at the moment. I always said if I had to buy a modern car at any point it would be Japanese due to reliability.

Thanks for the welcome messages! What oil do you use in your starlets?? I just bought some 10W40.

Just drove the car home and it drives well!

cheers

John

Welcome to the site!.......10w40 oil is fine

by the way what work needs doing on the little starlet anything we can help with?

Apart from an oil change nothing needs doing mechanically- although I haven't jacked the car up and had a good look at the suspension and brakes and underside yet. I'll have a look this weekend.

Will be back in touch!

cheers for all the comments and greetings!

John

cool keep us updated where abouts are you from???

I am in East kent.

You asked for an update- one week on and all is well with the Starlet. Driving it reminds me most of when I've borrowed my Dad's Micra in the past- except the Starlet is IMHO a much better car- more willing engine, snoother ride and it seems better built and the paint quality is higher. I am surprised that there are so many old Micra's on the road in the UK and very few Starlets.

I changed the oil and filter last weekend, adjusted the timing (was pinking on hills- fine now) and adjusted the loose b pillar door catch so the door closes better now. I have an air filter on order as the one on the car was filthy and choked- surprised the car was running fine with such a choked filter, then checked all the fluids and levels- all good under the bonnet. I also gave the car a good wash ( got rid of loads on mud under the rear arches) and a thorough clean inside- smells a lot better now ^_^ .

Only problem detected so far is a slight rattle over bumps/ or turning left slowly from the front left of the car- sounds suspension related rather than CV or bearing- ARB bush??

I have to say the search function works well on this site and I've found some very useful info (eg how to set the timing)- great site! Thanks ^_^

cheers

John

Another question- where are the recommended jacking points for a workshop jack and for axle stands?? I want to have a look under the car next.

• 5 months later...

Great news! My bargain Starlet just passed the MOT today- only advisory was the rear number plate is starting to delaminate. All I had to do to the car before the MOT (after a thorough inspection of all the mechanical bits) was to replace the N/S headlamp.

Its a great feeling when your old motor passes the dreaded MOT again! :p:lol::p

especially after you have decided that its now good enough to pass!

Guest Enzo

good news mate, i mostly have nothing to worry about when im preping my eps for the dreded test, usualy have to replace the od bulb,

everything else is usualy spot on

• 1 year later...
34 to 40 mpg, if you go for a 5efe conversion 45+ is possible

I get better than that- close to 40mpg average driving (mixed town/A road/motorway) and the record so far is 48mpg!- on a long run to Scotland.

------My Starlet Update-------

By the way, my cheap runabout is still serving me well, 12,000 totally reliable miles later, I just got the Starlet through another MOT!, all i needed to do after checking the car was a new rear wiper blade and a numberplate bulb. :p:):p Two advisories though, both outer CV boots are starting to crack and need replacing. I'm going to pick the boots up from the parts shop this afternoon.

Only work I had to have done on the car was a new centre exhaust box (cracked pipe) last year.

As a reward for being reliable and roadworthy, the car will be treated to a service and maybe even some paint and bodywork (small patch of rust where the wheelarch meets the sill) No problem as I can weld, make repair sections and paint. I blame the horrendous winter we just had and the tons of salt they pur on the road. B)

Still I am still very happy with my Starlet, I can't think of anyone I know who has such a trouble free old car!