Tyres - Toyo Proxes T1s Vs T1r

I currently have Toyo Proxes T1-S on my car at the moment, but the front tyres are quite worn so it wont be long before I need to replace them.

I'm happy with the Proxes and think they're quite good but I haven't tried any other tyres so I can't really compare them.

So I was going to play it safe and go with "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" and just get the same tyres again but as some people know, T1-R has replaced the T1-S. Has anyone tried both tyres and could tell me what the differences in wet/dry grip are? The tread pattern is quite different especially round the edges... so there's obviously going to be some differences in grip.

Or are there any other tyres people would recommend?

The rears still have quite a bit of tread left on them so I'll be keeping them for a while aswell so ideally I want to get some tyres as similar to the T1-S as possible so I have equal grip all round, I don't know how much of a difference it makes but it makes sense to me to have the same tyres all round.

T1R should have some better grip in wet conditions, i am running on T1R at the moment and am happy with them.

T1R is in all fairness also a rather old tyre, in the mean time there is R1R that is very good in the dry, its like a combo between T1R and the R888's.

The pricedifference in The Netherlands is so small i would make the switch to T1R tbh.

T1-S, i'd rather set my money of fire then waste it on T1-R's

they are no where near as good as the 'S' and the walls of the 'R' don't last!

i Wouldn't suggest R888's on a daily driver, they are a very soft compound and more of a good weather tyre.... not good on standing water or ice!!!

oh and i found the T1-S better in wet conditions!

as for other options i'd say the tried and tested Goodyear Eagle F1's if you can budget them!

basicly the T1-S has a much stiffer side wall due to the design, where as the T1-R has ALOT of side wall flex and you end up scrubbing the walls off before you've even touched the center tread...

example:

IMG_1216.jpg

it's the curse of the T1-R and and a kick in the wallet replacing tyres with good center tread! :)

T1-Rs own T1-S all day long!!!

They will always wear quick due to the soft compound, i've never came across them wearing on the edges that bad before. Maybe they was out of alignment or you just corner a bit to hard :)

Get some nice new T1-Rs on there and get the alignment set-up to perfection and you'll be onto a winner

my last gt was 210 bhp and it had pretty much brand new t1s all round when i bought it and it would spin so much! in the wet i just couldn't use boost at all. so i got some t1r's and they were so much better! i could boost in the wet and the car felt more stable and got loads more grip.

It's the same story on my N/A in the wet. When they were newish and plenty of tread they gripped quite well but now they've worn down a bit it just spins like fuck in first gear and is bad on corners if you try to put any power down.

I can't imagine how bad it must be on a turbo Starlet if it's this bad on a little non turbo Starlet that doesn't even have 100bhp.

Don't get me wrong they've been absolutely great tyres it's just now they're worn they really aren't performing like they did when they were new.

I'm running T1-S's on all four corners at the moment and from what i've seen they've not great.

Ok, grip wise, their brilliant, but the sidewalls have started to crack badly within only 3 months. I'm now in the process of hunting new tyres, but have no idea what to go for!

My T1-S have done quiet well, they've been battered and thrashed, and still strong as always. I learnt to drive with them on the car so hit the curb a couple of times and things like that and I can't fault them, I think I'm going to try the T1-Rs.

I had some Yoko parada spec2's and thought they were the worst tyre i have ever used, they were shit in the wet and after 9 months they were totally worn out! Now have T1R's and i love them, only thing i will say is that the grip in the wet has got less as they have worn a little but a great tyre none the less.

• 3 weeks later...

ive been using t1s for a long long time, was using them on my 200bhp glanza and on my current glanza, yeh werent great in the wet on my old glanza but what can u expect in a very light car with a lot of power, and the key is DONT welly it every where!

i think there a very good tyre but if i was changing tyre i would go for sumtin else, why dont you try something different then you will have something to compare to