i know there are hundreds of these threads on here, every1 has there own theories on how to tell if you have an lsd or not like lifting 1 wheel off the ground and not being able to turn it, others saying that they clunk a lot and a lot of other things but does anyone know for sure as ive heard there are a few different kinds. i done a big burnout earlier and it left a big number 11 and ive herad that means its an lsd but my wheel turns with 1 off the ground, i do get an awful lot of wheel spin through the gears too and it doesnt clunk either whats the story?

sorry about the essay lol

If you jack the car up so that both wheels are off the ground and spin one, if the other wheel spins in the same direction with it you have a limited slip differential,

If not only one wheel will spin by itself.

I made a big number 11 in my car to but as one wheel got more grip all the power went to it obviously

hope it helps

Gary

If you jack the car up so that both wheels are off the ground and spin one, if the other wheel spins in the same direction with it you have a limited slip differential,

If not only one wheel will spin by itself.

I made a big number 11 in my car to but as one wheel got more grip all the power went to it obviously

hope it helps

Gary

ill lift it up and check when i get time. both lines wer just as dark and didnt pull to either side.

thanks mate

i done a big burnout earlier and it left a big number 11 and ive herad that means its an lsd

why does that mean it's got an LSD? surly if any car done a wheel spin it would leave an 11 on the ground?? your not gunna get just one wheel doing all the spinning.

you can also feel if the car has LSD, on hard cornering you can realy feel the LSD working on the opposite wheel.

but as above if both wheels spin together in the same direction (in the air) then it will have LSD.

• 3 weeks later...
your not gunna get just one wheel doing all the spinning.

check this one @ 40 sec

:)

can't really find the movie I wanted to show... but deffo 1 wheel burnout :p

u could meassure the length of the driveshafts, and ask what length someone without LSD has... :p

My drive shafts has big green things on them before they go into the box, i always wonder if this is lsd or normal?

that's lsd mate :)

mine has always made an 11 but i definitely dont have lsd, hhmmm. never knew one wheel would only spin. you learn something new everyday.

My drive shafts has big green things on them before they go into the box, i always wonder if this is lsd or normal?

I have them on mine which has an LSD.

But not sure if that determines whether you have one or not.

Thats intersting, wounder if its buggered because i can turn my wheel when one is off the ground?

Saying that i rember when i went from the n/a to this car. The glanza handled so much better even though they were both just on shock/spring set ups.

Thats intersting, wounder if its buggered because i can turn my wheel when one is off the ground?

Saying that i rember when i went from the n/a to this car. The glanza handled so much better even though they were both just on shock/spring set ups.

you will prob find the diff will only lock under hard acceleraton, if the diff was locked all the time it wouldn't corner att all also the diff would wind up and snap shafts ect if permanatly locked

I have them on mine which has an LSD.

But not sure if that determines whether you have one or not.

I have them green too, and I don't have LSD...

so that don't work lol

I had problems with figuring out wich driveshafts I needed...

if u want to be sure, just measure them..

green ones are of the glanza and black ones off the gt (i think) you cant say if its alsd box by them.

and about the theory of one wheel on the ground and the other one will not turn in the air.... you can turn the other wheel but it will be harder

Check Limited Slip Differential (LSD) Performance from T-285 TRD 2-way for Toyota

One of the way to check the LSD performance is to measure the torque required to break traction between the two wheels.

First stuck one side of the wheel dead / un-turn-able / firm then use a torque wrench to turn the opposite wheel. Use low torque value to start with.

It is found that the LSD under study has a bit of a slack before LSD gripping. 1/4 of the wheel manages to turn before the opposite wheel will lock in synchronization to the active wheel. Due to this, the torque wrench needs to be turned fast instead of slow. Else it will not click consistently and may give rise to doubt of LSD locking torque value.

If the torque wrench click, it means the LSD is able to hold the two wheels together against "that" torque value set on the torque wrench. If so, please proceed with higher torque values until the torque wrench does not click, where it is able to turn one wheel against the LSD resistance.

Mine was found to be 50 lbs/ft. Then 60 lbs/ft was tried and it could turn against the LSD resistance. It would not click regardless of fast wrench turning or slow. It is then reduced to 55 lbs/ft and found the torque wrench to click at fast turning action, while the LSD hesitated to lock on slow turning action. So, it is assumed to be performing around 55 lbs/ft.

This is not exactly 100% accurate because we were lazy. The torque wrench is turning using one of the lugs, instead of true center of the drive shaft. Still this is some measurable difference / record for future study / references, which is better than none.

This torque value is known as the LSD pre-load effect / setting. Different situation / road condition / track races / gravel / tarmac / hill races will required different setting. However I am not an expert in this field so I do not know how much to use for what purposes. You will have to find out via trial and error.

That is if you are hard-working enough to take out the LSD diffential, disassemble the entire unit, change the clutch thickness or change the spring rate or insert a washer to pre-load the spring harder.

hope this will help you will get more details for you all.