People Who Have Done 4efte Conversions...

@phil - yoyo mate i wasnt pointing any fingers in your direction at all!! - just so happens you were the last person to post on the topic when i sent that fast reply!!

anyhoo, your argument is correct anyway and i wasnt disputing it, its rather turned out quite technical :rolleyes:

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol no worries Blair dude!

@Si - i was totally astounded by the insurance, and I actually asked her was she mistaken, and I have since had it checked with a different member of the Flux staff and they have confirmed the quote was correct.

she explained that the reason it was so good for me was 5years protected NCB and an advanced driving licence with the IAM.

Phil.

Blimey it has been a bit of a debate this.

At the end of the day everyone knows the costs involved in the swap. They are slightly more but not as much as people think as Phil has pointed out. It is a hassle to do but what really do you expect when you are taking the engine out of a car. It's not a piece of lego that pops out but it is easier than people assume. Everyone who has done it has enjoyed doing it even when they moan about the problems.

You have read every post about this so you will know whats involved so if you still want to do it then good on you and i wish you all the luck. Take your time and plan everything and it will be simple to do.

Bourkey

lol^^ i have to agree with phil though the conversion is pretty straight foward with the right preperation and knowlege! and to be honest it can be done really cheep i bet if phil didnt buy the after market intercoler etc and kept the standard parts on it would easily be more like 1k or below, its always good to put uprated parts on when the engines out.

and about the insurance my insurance dropped by around £900 off my n/a when i got my 1 year ncb and insured

it as a conversion so was well happy, also a converted n/a is cheeper to insure than a glanza because they basically conbine the starlet sportif with what ever car/ year the engine came out of, so because i put an ep82 engine in mine my insurance is cobined with the gt and sportif and also because the sportif is a uk spec car it made it a fair amount cheeper than a glanza :rolleyes:

Dean

i got my front cut for £800 from a breaker, the only reason my parts bill has gone up is because i specifically wanted a WEPR FMIC and a blitz decat.

if i had wanted to be uber cheap we could have used any number of old banged up FMICs that Jay had, or got some junk off ebay for bugger all.

could easily be done for under £1k.

@Love, ok dude, no worries.

Phil.

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

i was thinking about this conversion being a mechanic ive changed quite a few engines so that part for me is simple same as doing the cambelt and water pump etc while engine is out the car.....

but my real worry is insurance as im only 20 and got one years no claims my insurance is alot!!!

does anybody know of any companies that offer relatively good quotes??

i could do the conversion no worries but like i say insurance is the bugger!!!

and about the brakes thing i agree with both sides of this argument the natural reaction to bigger bhp is better brakes but in my opinion surely adjustment on drums is alot easier?? than changing the rear beam and new brake lines etc??

for only the 25% braking proportion that your rear wheels do compared with the 75% of the front brakes grooved discs and better pads and clean good rear shoes and drums should cover your braking nicely!

for example if your in a 30mph area then your only going to be (or legally should be) braking from 30mph so unless your conversion weighs 100kg more than a glanza then shouldn't be much in it when it comes to braking distance.....but on that note i can see both sides of this argument..

but if anyone can help me with insurance then i will be swayed to build me a sleeper!!!!

thanks guys steve!! :)

• 3 years later...

Alright lads I know this is an old thread! But I'm about to buy a starlet sportiff already with the conversion except rear loom for lights, the car starts ticks over but cuts out when you touch throttle anyone got any ideas on what it could be

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...