5efte Engine Swap Not Starting

hi, i have just got a 5efe and used my 4efte head on the block as you do. i got it sitting in and i wired everything up, went to start it and the starter clicked, thought no battery so i jumped it and it still done the same. thought the starter teeth maybe wernt lined up on the flywheel so i took the starter of and tried turning the engine over at the crank but it wouldnt budge. at this point it got a bit worried. i checked the timing again and that was all good. im now thinking its something to do with the gearbox as i should have mentioned its a auto. is there anything that i should have swaped off the 4efte block onto the 5efe block that the auto box needs as the 5efe was a manual apart from the fly and the clutch like thing. cheers any help would be great dont want to have to take the gearbox off again if its not that.

hi, i have just got a 5efe and used my 4efte head on the block as you do. i got it sitting in and i wired everything up, went to start it and the starter clicked, thought no battery so i jumped it and it still done the same. thought the starter teeth maybe wernt lined up on the flywheel so i took the starter of and tried turning the engine over at the crank but it wouldnt budge. at this point it got a bit worried. i checked the timing again and that was all good. im now thinking its something to do with the gearbox as i should have mentioned its a auto. is there anything that i should have swaped off the 4efte block onto the 5efe block that the auto box needs as the 5efe was a manual apart from the fly and the clutch like thing. cheers any help would be great dont want to have to take the gearbox off again if its not that.

try

1) wier on the starter

or

2) your earths

sounds like a problem ive had before :thumbsup:

ill go take a look mate i hope it is cheers

ive looked over it and ill give that a shot tommorow but mines is a auto and im sure all the plugs are plugged in. my strater was giving a clicking noise and geo said his wasnt. hopefully this is the problem but surely it wouldnt stop it being turned over at the crank.

heres what geo found to be wrong with his "

Ive used an Auto loom in my manual conversion and what you are getting is exactly what i got before I bridged the selector loom that would usually go into the auto box. Its the 2 thickess wires going into the connector that you bridge from memory. Im pretty sure from a wiring point of view thats all that is required to get the Auto loom to work in a manual.

Let me know if you gan get it to idle ok, mines 1500rpm when cold."

anymore help or suggestions and ill get too it tomoro people. cheers

earthing. you havent done it properly.

stick a jump lead on the negative of the battery and then only the block. i bet it starts.

if that isnt it and it wont even turn by hand... then youll have to pull the motor and see what it is.

have you done anything to the bottom end on the 5e? rebuilt it or anything?

earthing. you havent done it properly.

stick a jump lead on the negative of the battery and then only the block. i bet it starts.

if that isnt it and it wont even turn by hand... then youll have to pull the motor and see what it is.

have you done anything to the bottom end on the 5e? rebuilt it or anything?

why wouldnt it turn over by hand if it wasnt earther properly? its just a standard 5efe block with a thicker headgasket and the 4efte head. it turned over fine before i put it in this was with the gearbox off so im thinking its something to do with the gearbox . i just hope its something simple.

heres the questions i need anwsered i know it cant be earths because i cant turn t over by hand at the crank something is stopping it.

1) is there any sensors that could stop the crank being turned if they are not connected?

2) could it be the auto box cause its onto a manual block. the engine turned over fine before i put the box on and the only time i tried turning it over afer that was when it was in the car .

i really think its something to do with the box but i dont want to go and have to take it out agian! cheers

well cause i couldnt turn the crank to lossen the bolts on the torque convertor and you can move the gearbox over enough i had to drop the engine aswell agian . twice in two days. toke the gearbox of and found the crank turned fine. also found that the block is cracked at eh back . think i hadnt lined the spline up proberly on the gearbox and when i pulled the bolts threw onto the block i have cracked it. nightmare! so its a crankout job and out the crank back into my old 4efte block. hopefully have it running by the weekend.

anyone in desperate need ha

:p Hmmm. What about that small plastic thing in the ignition barrel which was a common fault in toyotas.

Keep switching on and off hard on the key for about 5 mins and see if it starts. Mine did the same back in the days,everything lights up and when try to start,just the click.But i had a manual one so push started it,then put back in the drive and tried again switching on and off.Sometimes it would start and sometimes not.Earthing was good,starter motor fine. The fault was in the ignition barrel.

Hope it helps.