we started this about a week ago. he bought the engine about 2 weeks ago and the car the other day. not bad prices. 300 for engine that runs fine but didnt matter anyway and 150 for car :D ( the alloys were on it lol )

just a few pics of the progress so far and ill get to what the plans are at the end.

P1170001.jpg

P1170004.jpg

P1170002.jpg

P1170003.jpg

P1170007.jpg

P1170008.jpg

P1170005.jpg

basically that the starting point.

we did have another eg but it was a 1.3 carb so would involve changing the fuel tank and lines etc . the shell was mint on the carb model aswell but he decided to go for this not so solid shell because it would save time doin that but instead this ones gonna need new rear arches and a sill so either way its work to do.

progress with the engine so far.this pic is just off google for the before because i never took one :D

64238473_7-honda-civic-esi-d15b-sohc-vtec-updated-sound-setup-included-170k-withouut-sound-setup-Honda-Civic.jpg

but this is after stripping it down. not rebuildin the bottom end though as all seems fine and they are apparently strong on these engines.

P1150007.jpg

its quite hard to paint a dipstick pipe when the only brush you have is huge lol

P1150008.jpg

P1150009.jpg

I've not got pics but all the engine mounts are cleaned up or painted now aswell. found out that honda love to put mounts everywhere.

tonight i done the throttle body. will let the pics do the talkin as im pretty proud of how it come out. ( note to self remember to take before pictures )

P1180010.jpg

butterfly has a mirror finish but cant see so well with the pic

P1180013.jpg

P1180014.jpg

P1180015.jpg

in the process of grindin the valves in before the head goes off to be skimmed . may try convince him to get it port and polished aswell lol

this is being considered as practise for when i do my engine build later this year. better because i dont pay for bits tho because its not my engine :D .

plans for the car are

SHELL : repainted in white possible with a blue shimmer through it

not sure on wheels yet

d2 coilovers

clean out

new seats

loads of wee bits n bobs

Engine : skunk2 cam and inlet manifold

uprated fuelrail

fpr

lightened flywheel

new exhaust mani

good plugs and leads

advanced timing

and i think thats all thats decided so far so let me know what ya think

Cheers

Russell

Looks liek it was owned by a nob jokey :wub: lol

Liking what is done so far, these are pretty good cars, at least 3 of my mates have one, the one just wrote his off though and it was one of the nicest I have ever seen :mellow:

cheers for comments. yeh 18s on it and one was so far or round it just wasnt cool lol. didnt have any rear suspension on it either haha.

updates might be a bit jumpy because i forget to take pics sometimes :lol:

he has just bought a carbon rear spoiler and sent the head away as we ground the valves in yesterday so its off to be skimmed. couldnt convince him to get it ported n polished tho:( .

rocker is away to be powdercoated white also.

gearbox is painted also so will take some pics of all this tomorrow and he is picking some d2s up for it too.

cant wait to have my engine out so i can do all of that to mine :lol:

small update on this.

gearbox nice n cleaned and painted

P1220003.jpg

head back from being skimmed. gonna be fun painting that :S

P1220004.jpg

and since he decided not to get it post and polished took it into my own hands to get all the ports so i can see my face in them lol

P1220005.jpg

cant see it in the pic but it is very shiny

one of the guys he works with suggested he didnt polish all the ports . especially the inlet side as he said the fuel wouldnt mix properly. any truth in that at al ? in my head i just think the fuel is sprayed in so it would be kinda hard for it not to mix.

one of the guys he works with suggested he didnt polish all the ports . especially the inlet side as he said the fuel wouldnt mix properly. any truth in that at al ? in my head i just think the fuel is sprayed in so it would be kinda hard for it not to mix.

It's supposed to be true - a shiney surface has two downsides, it messes up the formation of the "boundary layer" in the air, a thin layer of tiny spinning vortices that are to airflow what marbles on the floor are to us!

Also a shiny surfaces attracts fuel condensation, think about what steam does on glass and gloss paint vs matt paint.

Sorry about the daft analogies!!! :thumbsup:

hmm so basically polishin them makes it slightly worse :thumbsup: would it put it back to normal if we were to rough it up a bit with just sandpaper. ???? its fine i wouldnt have been able to think about it otherwise haha :lol:

hmm so basically polishin them makes it slightly worse ;) would it put it back to normal if we were to rough it up a bit with just sandpaper. ???? its fine i wouldnt have been able to think about it otherwise haha :thumbsup:

Possibly! I would give it a good scrub with Scotchbright to get more of a satin/brushed finish, seems to be what most ported heads have.

There are two safe things you can do with a modern engine to improve things:

A - 3 angle valve seats (and back-cut valves) to try to reproduce a radius...think rolled inlet trumpets, same idea.

B - Remove any lumps and bumps in the casting that shouldn't be there, and smooth any edges caused by the factory valve-seat milling etc.

Making the ports bigger, polishing, changing the shape of the ports etc all come under "more harm than good without a flow bench" or luck!!!!

Old engines (70's etc) were so bad that DIY power gains were fairly easy, anything more modern is more risky as mrfs started to get the hang of decent standard performance/design.

Me on the subject of engines is strictly "as far as I know" / have read, I'm not involved with them professionally. :lol:

If you have the inlet ports to mirror like, the fuel will not run properly.

Think of rain on a window, sticks to it in droplets.

Dont need that in an engine do we :thumbsup:

Need the fuel to stay as a mist and get into the chamber, instead of sticking to the ports.

thanks for the input. stopped us goin too far in the wrong direction. didnt start the inlets so we wont bother and maybe just unmirror the exhaust lol but that will get covered in carboin soon as anyways.

another small update.

head back on

P1250001.jpg

P1250002.jpg

P1250004.jpg

vtec solonoid cleaned and painted up

P1250003.jpg

just waitin on the skunk 2 cam arriving and getting the rocker cover back and internals will be done with for now lol.

feel bad because I've updates this more in a week than i have my thread since I've had my car but its hard to get stuff done when ya need the car everyweek lol.

yep lol :( bit gutted its not a 5efte engine and its not mine though haha :D think it should be in the car in under a month. gonna get the engine bay cleaned up and all the handlin stuff painted up then stick the engine in so it can be drivin to the body shop etc:)

think after i finish my engine ( may be thinkin a bit far ahead ) i might start rebuildin 4eftes and sellin them for somethin to do and make a bit o cash

• 2 weeks later...

time for another update. getting there :)

magical box :)

P2040008.jpg

what was in the magical box

P2040006.jpg

temporary exhaust manifold for now ;)

P2040004.jpg

just a few more pics.

P2040002.jpg

P2040007.jpg

bits coming soon.

red aem vernier pulley

blue aem fuel rail

blue aem fpr

denso spark plugs and red magnacore leads.

aem v2 induction kit

lightened flywheel

straight through exhaust system with a 5zigen fireball backbox :p

lookin for roughly 150 - 160 bhp before the next step :p