4afe 1.6 60mm Throttle Body On My 4efe

Hey guys,

Picked this Throttle Body up from the breakers the other day hoping it would swap straight over. The fitment looks exactly the same as my stock TB, sensors in the same position, 2 coolant pipes on the bottom, however there's one slight hitch;

My stock TB has two (coolant?) pipes at the back of the throttle body (where the TB faces the firewall) but the 4afe TB only has the two coolant pipes on the bottom

How do I get the TB to fit? What are the two pipes used for, and can I block them off?

Thanks

Amjad

I was afraid someone would say that :)

I've already tried, but the screws seem to be seized on! Tried WD40 obviously but no luck.

I don't wanna try too hard round them off or anything, got any tips?

You can get rid of the coolant pipe, find out where they go and make it into one pipe can also get rid of the power steering piping

also i beg to differ i think there will be gains, its the only "hole" for the air to go into the engine if it gets bigger its deffo going to help even with a few mm difference in size it would mean ~10-20% increase in SA. Power wise there mabe like 1-2 bhp increase and a few pounds of torque but looking at the bigger picture when driving around on the road the engine will be more lively for sure.

Ste the stock one is 45/50mm I think, but this is 60mm :)

Yeah bigger isn't always better, I've seen it discussed on the Honda forums, people using bigger throttle bodies (skunk2) on near standard engines and gaining nothing.

The only time you'd really need to go bigger is if the standard TB was becoming restrictive but you'd need to have a fair bit of headwork done for that along with cams/intake/exhaust system etc...

Guest Enzo

you should notice gains with it, the stock tb is too small for the engine,

it was aimed at moving spreading the torque band lower. fitting the larger tb along with fte inlet manifold should do something for perofrmance.

You can get rid of the coolant pipe, find out where they go and make it into one pipe can also get rid of the power steering hosing.

Is the PS hosing the two that go on the back yeah?

What effect would removing them have on the car?

One vice a drift and a hammer just give them a heathy wack on there heads should free them off

Sorry, drift?

Yeah bigger isn't always better, I've seen it discussed on the Honda forums, people using bigger throttle bodies (skunk2) on near standard engines and gaining nothing.

The only time you'd really need to go bigger is if the standard TB was becoming restrictive but you'd need to have a fair bit of headwork done for that along with cams/intake/exhaust system etc...

Ah okay fair enough. I just recently got a full exhaust system so I was curious to see if could improve the intake system at all! Hoping to get an fte inlet mani in the coming months too

Enzo is correct. I've seen 3 different size tb fitted to the 4efe engine so far redz11 has a tb and manifold off a glanza and he got very good gains. The standard uk spec starlet tb is a huge restriction on the engine I'll get pictures up later on next week of the sizes.

Is the PS hosing the two that go on the back yeah?

What effect would removing them have on the car?

Sorry, drift?

Ah okay fair enough. I just recently got a full exhaust system so I was curious to see if could improve the intake system at all! Hoping to get an fte inlet mani in the coming months too

A solid metal bar!

Not sure on the PS pipes but id just cut them short ~5cm and let them hang

Eek! :(

A solid metal bar!

Okay thanks Luke! I'll give it a go :)

Top marks for thinking out the box amjad, didnt know the 4A throttle body fitted can re-think a few things now :)

You can thank Enzo, he told me the 4a TB would fit :)

You know the bottom part of the TB? It holds a sensor and it held to the TB by 4 screws, they seem like they're welded on! :)

I'm leaving that now anyway..got the coolant pipes connected and one sensor plugged in. The bottom sensor plug on the new TB is further away, so I'm just about to cut the sensor from the loom and lengthen the wiring!

ahhh green one? idle control valve (bitch to get off, i tried and gave up!) use the sensors which came with the TB clean them using WD40.....IF they give you trouble when fitted then worry about swaping em over dont worry for now.

Just thought I'd update the situation;

- Got the sensors all wired up, definitely plugged into the right plugs, coolant pipes in, PS pipes loose but out of the way, bolted all up. Started it and it was idleing at 3krpm

- Started for a min or two, started and died out 1st time, 2nd time it went back to 3k rpm, and was revving ever so slightly more every 10 seconds or so

- Started driving, get it into 3rd & it feels like someone is pressing the throttle, even when I'm on the brakes! Same in fourth too, just kept getting itself upto ~2000rpm and felt like it was kept constant to keep it that unless I braked. If i pressed clutch it went back to 3krpm.

- Got home, put it into reverse with clutch fully depressed & it idled at 2krpm, then suddenly went to 1500rpm and kept dipping between 1500-2000 and the engine light came on

-Shut the engine, gave it a few mins, started it up again and it sat at 2krpm with the engine management light still on

I'll be doing a diagnostic check tomorrow, but Asad reckons it's the idle control valve which needs swapping over with my old one!

did you bleed the coolant system after afixing the pipes back up as the icv might have an airlock stopping it from warming up and knocking the choke off hence the high reving. also did you get the tps off you old tb as some are different.

^ i had my coolant pipes off for atleast 2 hours when i cleaned my throttle body, put everything on and it was perfect. But as before defo a vac/sensor issue, good thing the light came on narrows things down alot so try the diag test see what it brings up and go from there.