Getting a good shine out of a white car???

Ive got a white EP91 SR and was wondering whats thebest to get a good shine out of it?

Ive got G3 polish etc so im guessing that will be a good start

i was thinking - G3 it all over, then a good coat of wax (mequires etc etc)

answers on a postcard please

ta muchly

if its in bad condition ie yellowing , g3 rubbing compound all over with a buffer.

that will get any imperfections out as well as cutting back to a fresh white. not to heavy handed with that though as it cuts easily.

then id personally suggest the meg's gold class 3stage system,

one removes bugs and slightly cuts.

2nd is a pure polish

and the 3rd is a canuba wax, which smells of bananas :p yum

do that once every couple of months,

then between them full on waxings,

generally clean it using a quality shampoo

and then wax it with meg's tech wax, amazing stuff as its a liquid wax and doesnt powder up like other cheaper brands.

that'll seriously give it a shine.

if you want to clean the color quickly and cheaper without all that hassle,

1: meg's clay putty - pulls out bugs and tar etc

2: again , id use meg's tech wax.

depends on what quality products your using to be honest mate, i wouldnt ever wash mine with turtle wax shite and autoglym is too pricey for what it is.

i personally used to use nothing but meguiars on my old show car, to be honest im not too fussed with the paintwork on my glanza... yet :D

whatever i find in the cupboard, and a sponge.

I know you're into your "slag" look mate -- and on most topics I completely agree with you (although personally I'd say things in a different... less blunt manner) but that's possibly the worst approach you can take to washing a car! Cheaper car shampoo's and stuff you find in the "cupboard" are generally harmful to the paintwork and contain harmful detergents! And as for sponges (I occasionally do use them) but I try to use my lambswool mit because the dirt gets caught deep inside the fibres and drawn away from the paintwork rather than trapped on the surface of the sponge scratching the surface as you wash!

I use autoglym or meguiars -- 2 bucket wash, then polish to bring it up and then a good coat of wax to protect it until the next proper wash (which these wintery days may be every fortnight)

i use t-cut polish every time i wash it. need to get a car cover as i spend hours cleaning it just to have the red brick dust off my house fall all over it. fooking well annoying.

I know you're into your "slag" look mate -- and on most topics I completely agree with you (although personally I'd say things in a different... less blunt manner) but that's possibly the worst approach you can take to washing a car! Cheaper car shampoo's and stuff you find in the "cupboard" are generally harmful to the paintwork and contain harmful detergents! And as for sponges (I occasionally do use them) but I try to use my lambswool mit because the dirt gets caught deep inside the fibres and drawn away from the paintwork rather than trapped on the surface of the sponge scratching the surface as you wash!

I use autoglym or meguiars -- 2 bucket wash, then polish to bring it up and then a good coat of wax to protect it until the next proper wash (which these wintery days may be every fortnight)

are you seriously trying to preach to me mate? baaahahahaha.

i know how to wash a car, i just dont have anywhere near the amount of time to do so, or most importantly, the inclination.

When i say what i find in the cupboard, i mean, either one or two variations of wash/wax combo's, like turtlewax jobbies etc. When it runs out i buy a new one, and leave it in the cupboard, i dont actually just grab and use WHATEVER i find, its not like i clean the car with bleach, or mr.sheen or some shit, i use stuff which is designed for the cleaning purpose, i just aint got the time to wax or any of that shit.

Sponges do the job, if i notice any deep scratches then i'll put it down to the fact that rocks and stones and small children bounce off it on a daily basis from general driving, not from wiping it down with a damp soft sponge :(

Touché my friend.

ecks it looks like you wash your car with bleach lol or you need to as i have never seen it clean lol. to get the best shine is to wet the car get all the dust of then wash with car shampoo then hoses down dry of car then use some thing like auto glym or meg's dont use g3 as that is a cutting comp and will take a layer of your paint of and you need a mop really if your going to do that and then you need some thing like the body shop polish to bring the shine back up so dont bother i never used it on any of my cars and they look mint when there clean

nah i dont have the time to do it often shaun, its rarely clean, its quite dis-heartening to even try because one day later its absolutely filthy again from driving down the a38, agricultural areas dont have the best of effects on clean cars :(

sorta puts a downer on it, and you just give up in the end! even if you try, it just gets filthy again :lol:

looks alright when you sponge it down anyway its just a pain in the ass when it lasts for 2 days at the most.

i no how you feel i have had to white cars and one black and you wash them drive them down the road and there dirty again i got college tommrow and that means driving to slough i clean me car yesterday and it will look like i havent washed it in weeks when i get there fucking shit weather piss me of

ye i just end up not bothering, it dont make much different when you do it because it'll look the same once washed down, so i let it build up usually. unfortunately it usually coincides with the meets so its like i dont have the opportunity to clean it before the meet, so it always looks minging at them, but the day after when it gets a clean its sparkling. thats just the way of the world unfortunately. its gonna be a wet winter too so aint gonna put much more effort in :(

well mate i'm a valeter and honestly mate i would not use g3 only if you know what your doin cause it can fuck your paint and you have to use a machine buffer and it would take forever what i would do is t cut it we use a t cut from auto-smart its called cut-back and then use a hi-res polish then a mid res polish then a low res for the shine only this order if it really needs it, but if you really want to go the g3 route then get someone who can machine polish to do it but the purpose of g3 is not for a shine it is to remove scratches.

i used G3 on my flame red Vaux Nova and it came up a treat. I then polished it with meguires caranuba wax. it had faded badly but came up like new

PIC:(bare in mind that paint is 14 years old)

23032006078.jpg

My starlet had been sitting ina breakers yard for nearly two years so has oil stains etc from cars sitting on the shelves above so i see G3 will be best for cuttign back through that. then a good coat of wax

But yesterday i went a bit daft...

29102006315.jpg

hehe (excuse the red bonnet - work in progress)

• 1 year later...

at work we used to sell zymol, dead expensive, very exotic smelling stuff. Very good, but no one brought it, so we droped it and stock meguires now.. It is a very very very good range. In my opinion after trying all the waxes, the gold class range win hands down every time. Its better than the NXT wax i think. also the quick detailer is a good spray on finish, that brings the freshly waxed look back in between each wax. Hot tyre shine makes my alloys look WAAWWAAA WEEEEYYY WAAAAA very nice