Over 1bar On Oem Ct9's

well to start off sorry to socks for spamming his build thread, but the long and short is a disscution has started about runnin 1.2 bar on an oem spec ct9 and just how efficient or not that wil be also wether or not this will cause damage to the ct9. im of the opinion that un less its a hybrid spec'ed ct9 then over 1bar is not so effeicient and allthough the pull will be more than a bar the percentage increase in power is minimal and will damage the turbo in due course.

any imput and opinions welcome, just thought was time to open a thread instead of talking in a build thread :)

As one of the people who run 1.2 bar n a ct9 ill defo add my input on tis thread.

The ct9 on my car has done 100,000 miles, 10,000 of those at 1.2 bar. I have had 2 other turbo's on the car both of which fucked up (hybrids), this is the origional ct9 that came with my car, once i run it at high boost it stopped smoking, hence i call it my 3rd turbo.

I go along the lines of this, my friend runs a td04 at 1.2 bar on stock internals, as long had he has no issues ill run a ct9 at 1.2 bar.

1.2 bar is quicker than 1 bar, dont care what anyone says, sit in my car boost controller at 1 bar drive it, flick it to 1.2 bar and its noticably quicker, i have yet to see anyone rolling road a car at 1 bar then 1.2 bar on a ct9 and compare the difference. So ill stick to what it feels like in my car.

I cant see how anyone can proove or disproove that running a ct9 at higher boost shortens the life span, too many variables to blame just high boost.

The issue of of heat, again ive never seen evidence to suggest that 1.2 bar produces loads more heat than 1 bar. Ive seen nothing at all, no one has ever done any heat intake test to proove anything. It all seems to be hear say imo people just think and seem to say it produces too much heat. If someone can show me something to proove this im all ears.

So yeah thats how i see it but Im all open to everyone else's ideas on the topic.

i ran stock boost... then 1bar.... then 1.2bar......

noptciable gains each jump and with my hdi intercooler kit. if i pull over after doing a mile on boost, and feel the coldpipe side.. its freezing.... so no doubt charge temps arent a problem...

yes, the more boost you run, the faster the unit will wear out... but if david's been running 1.2bar for 10,000miles and still got no problems i cant see why mine thats done no more then 45k total and 3k of them at 1.2bar shud be dead anytime soon :)

and no worries bout project thread! x

This is a quality thread. Dave i believe your going on the roller next week as well as me? I will be running 1bar and you'll be running 1.2bar lets put it to the test..... Both standard ct9 but maybe slighly different setup but all the same standard engines running standard turbos ;) then after i might wack mine up. :)

Is it just the one run that your allowed? Be good if Dave can do one run at 1 bar and then 1.2bar :)

Or wasnt it already RR'd at 1.2 bar??

Reading over the rr thread mike mentions doing 5 runs to get peak power im sure one of them can be done at 1bar and so on.

if dave has a EBC and we get more than one run on the RR then it might be good to prove his thoery.

The way i see it with this issue is its said that the max reccomended to run a standard CT9 is 1 bar so a lot of poeple will want to be safe and stick at that......but there are a few guys that like to just push it that bit further and i say if it works then good on them. life would be boring if we all stuck to guidelines its good to try different things.

If its worked for david for 10,000 miles and he notices power gains over 1bar>1.2bar then it obviously works....however someone else could try it and it could blow there turbo to bits. all depends on the condition and strength on the standard CT9 IMO but if it can be done i say do it :p

As one of the people who run 1.2 bar n a ct9 ill defo add my input on tis thread.

The ct9 on my car has done 100,000 miles, 10,000 of those at 1.2 bar. I have had 2 other turbo's on the car both of which fucked up (hybrids), this is the origional ct9 that came with my car, once i run it at high boost it stopped smoking, hence i call it my 3rd turbo.

I go along the lines of this, my friend runs a td04 at 1.2 bar on stock internals, as long had he has no issues ill run a ct9 at 1.2 bar.

1.2 bar is quicker than 1 bar, dont care what anyone says, sit in my car boost controller at 1 bar drive it, flick it to 1.2 bar and its noticably quicker, i have yet to see anyone rolling road a car at 1 bar then 1.2 bar on a ct9 and compare the difference. So ill stick to what it feels like in my car.

I cant see how anyone can proove or disproove that running a ct9 at higher boost shortens the life span, too many variables to blame just high boost.

The issue of of heat, again ive never seen evidence to suggest that 1.2 bar produces loads more heat than 1 bar. Ive seen nothing at all, no one has ever done any heat intake test to proove anything. It all seems to be hear say imo people just think and seem to say it produces too much heat. If someone can show me something to proove this im all ears.

So yeah thats how i see it but Im all open to everyone else's ideas on the topic.

Boost doesn't give you a set amount of power. It depends on the overall setup.

1.2 bar will without doubt flow more air than 1 bar.

However the efficiency of the turbo will without doubt be lower. (more heat) This will shorten the life span of the turbo, by how much depends on the rest of your setup. I.e. If you have an inefficient setup, cam's, engine, map, exhaust, manifold, etc etc, more boost will probably net you more power.

However if you have a high volumetric effifiency you'll make more power at a lower boost, so more boost will not net you more power. Add to this, the stock ECU isn't mapped to this, so chance are its probably running a little leaner, again more power and more heat.

that number 3 pistons a right c*nt

only ever number 3 that goes never any of the other ones.....b*st*rd ¬_¬

i wish the number 3 piston would just die i forged only my number three piston just so he couldnt melt on me

Well i have the best manifold ever a autobahn so ill buy a rrfpr and get my fcd and rrfpr set up at a rolling road for one bar :p

^^^ is that sarcasm or just poor knowledge? :p lol, autobahn suck balls. i would rather risk it with the stock mani.

Also to add to this Turbo topic, i'm well on the side that 1.2bar is pushing the efficiency majorly of the little ct9... if you have a full supporting mods i.e fmic, full mani, decat, straight through exhaust possible the turbo might last longer but at 1.2bar your pretty much double what is what meant for which means is will die 50% quick.

The amount of heat the little ct9's generate is actually unreal! why risk pushing it like crazy to potentially make a tiny, tiny bit more torque

12bar plus is what a hybrid was created for... it's can take in increased boost and will be alot more efficient generating that boost level as well.

Hybrid Vs Td04 is a whole topic on it's own :p, personally on the road i feel hybrids are the way forward

yeah it was sarcasm lol it came on the car and i just keep spending on other things, althought i have a fcd sitting in my loft i think im guna go for pushing mine to one bar all i need now is a 255lph pump and a rrfpr and a set up and i will be running 1bar boost on stock :p sooo , what break will i be making 160-170?

im on here atleast 5 times a day im all clued up on most things now :p you ever get a rear strut ? me neither lol i heard tho that the front ones fit on the rears - true or false ? anyone know ?

false :p

• 4 weeks later...

You may notice more power at 1.2 bar, obviously it's flowing more air.

But the difference between 1.0-1.2 bar will be less than the difference between 0.8-1.0 bar

The further you turn the boost up the more you're pushing the limits of the turbo's efficiency range and the gains will become smaller and smaller.

And another point to make is that for example a TD04 at 1.2 bar will be much better than a CT9 at 1.2 bar.

i ran stock boost, 10 psi , 15 psi, 18psi (1.2bar), 21psi and 25 psi all that on the ct9

i will tell you that ct9 is a soldier will hold a lot and the higher you go the more you will fall in love with the glanza trust me

and about the turbo life our car is more or less 12 year old so if a seal give away and the turbo start smoking it wont be a problem cuz when the turbo was working i had fun

so i will change them and keep going

:o