hi everyone, swapped my corolla throttle body for a starlet turbo one.....

has made a HUGE difference... its just so much fun plus its alot louder tooo...

would definetly recommend it...

got it done by chris..

old 1 ..

IMG_1113.jpg

IMG_1114.jpg

IMG_1115.jpg

new 1 on car..

IMG_1117.jpg

IMG_1120.jpg

IMG_1119.jpg

IMG_1121.jpg

thanks

Sorry for the spam miib, Ryan discuss in my build thread if you like; I gotta see what the cash situation is like when I'm at uni, and if I can secure a summer job next year!

how did you get round the TPS been different i have a turbo throttle body sat here but the TPS has a 4 pin plug yet my Glanza S only has a 3 pin plug

Jim

you will have to nastyrash 2003 aka chris about that lol...

Guessing you've got the Gen1 4efe inlet mani too then? I was looking to get both done but now I'm thinking Turbo powaaa! :)

good luck...

glad you like fella. the under side has the idel valve removed because its water temp operated and causes alot of heat soak in the inlet charge. :)

Hot coolant runs through the throttle body to stop it icing up in cold weather and is a safety device. The Idle air control valve is electronically controled from the coolant temp sensor via the ECU. Not directly from the temp of the coolant.

It does soak heat into the manifold tho but the way to keep the safety device and loose the heat soak is to use an insulator.

To anyone thinking of doing this.... This is the redneck way of doing it!

I am working on a how-to about modding a Carina E 50mm throttle body to fit the 4E-FE while retaining the idle air control and the power steering idle up valves.

Gavin

Ive by-passed the coolant on the throttle body in my car, it defo feels different not sure if i gained power or not

Theres no real problem with icing up tbf unless you live in a snow area

can you elaborate on the safety device? ^ tbh i never knew the ICV is controlled by the CTS

Because of the difference in pressure across the butterfly and the velocity of air flow even warm air can cause freezing and lock the butterfly in whatever posision it is in. (In theory but is it worth the risk?) Coolant runs through the throttle body to stop this so I consider it a safety device.

I believe the idle air control valve is controlled as part of the auto choke at idle so uses coolent temp.

Gavin

good point but not going to happen, he is running a open air filter coming from under the bonnet, temps get hot under thr. the way i under stand the divce it adds heat to the inlet charge to thin out the air less air less fuel ECO, plus thr are many throttle bodys out thr that do not have heaters take my civic type r,= no heating, but thn not very ECO,

also on some intake systems thy do add heat to the air charge at lowwer rpm, reason is thy have large ports and the air does not flow faster nuff to keep the fuel suspended so heat is used to vaperise the fuel, bad thing about this is it adds heat before the camber meaning less heat is taken away from the piston crown.

but if you think that will freeze the throttle body check out the CO2 stuff you can get for the intake 1 device cools the air charge by freezing it with a cryo buld and supposed to increase air density by 35% :)

Hot coolant runs through the throttle body to stop it icing up in cold weather and is a safety device. The Idle air control valve is electronically controled from the coolant temp sensor via the ECU. Not directly from the temp of the coolant.

It does soak heat into the manifold tho but the way to keep the safety device and loose the heat soak is to use an insulator.

To anyone thinking of doing this.... This is the redneck way of doing it!

I am working on a how-to about modding a Carina E 50mm throttle body to fit the 4E-FE while retaining the idle air control and the power steering idle up valves.

Gavin

also its the corrola my mate, it is the idle air control vale for the choke its a thermostate that controls idel speed acording to coolant temp same on the turbos. but it still has the old idle screw in the top that is screwed right in, thy used this wen thr was no heated idel valve or ECU controled idel valve, back in the days of the CO screw. its like watching the toyota evolution.

To me that "small" throttle body looks smaller than a standard n/a starlet one.

My old throttle body. As far as I know its a standard Starlet n/a 4E-FE one

SDC10398.jpg

Did the corolla get an even smaller throttle body (than the n/a Starlet) as standard? Because it sure looks like it.

Gavin

Yeah but to make the Gi engine work we had to use the old small throttle body (the one in photo) because of the different sensors. The Gi one got lost somewhere.

After about 4 years I started to think about a bigger one again and I have managed to get a Carina E throttle body (50mm with an 8mm butterfly shaft instead of 10mm and made by a german company for Toyota) and I am machining adaptors for the sensors. Anyway that looks the same size as the "big" one.

Gavin

• 2 months later...