Would It Be Worth Building A 4efe?

Just been to the scrappys to get a radiator of a 5 door starbo, it has 40,000 miles on it and is in good nick, apart from the egnine has been sat with no bonnet over it so it looks manky, had a thought of buying it and skimming the head, porting and polishing it etc and just wondered how expensive is this to do? and how much are these engines worth?

Thanks!

As long as i get near 100hp im not bothered, as its coming out of a scrap car it will be rebuilt, get the head sent off skimmed, ported and polished etc, over winter, not many people do it. obviously it would get all painted up, made like new etc.

and how much for it mate? what power is it?

Thanks

£3-400 to port the head, £100 for gaskets and rings, £300 for emanage, £150 to get it tuned no its not worth it.

The thing I love about 4efe is engines are from granny cars, have very low miles and are common and cheap. I buy 4efe's with 3-40k miles from scrappage scheme cars for £100 with everything attached. After 4years I can swap engines in 35minutes.

Buy cheap 4efe and rage the hell out of it, then when it dies get another one. You'll be the fastest man about.

i wouldnt go bosh one out over FHE cams, and ive heard polishing the head has negative effects? it should be a rough surface....no?

balanced bottom end would increase reliability/stability at high revs as would forged rods

if its cheap get it....service it and go break it in :thumbsup:

a 4efe with corolla manifold AND standard airbox including air temp sensor is a must. Fair enough you'll only have 95bhp like I had with my tte backbox but your torque curve will be smooth and constant. Instead of the jump, die about 2.5 then pick up again at about 3.5k that standard ep91 have. Fresh cheap oil is fine with a £2 oilfilter.

If your not burning oil and your compression is nice and high between 180psi and 220psi you'll be 100%

The standard airbox routes air from the front of the car and into the manifold and nice and cool. It also holds the air tempature sensor nicely in place. Most people fit a airfilter cone and because of the sound and the butt-dyno they think they have a monster. The corolla uses a airbox and it still has 86bhp so just use coroll amanifold and your own airbox, you'll still have 86bhp and lots of torque.

Remember torque is from the restriction on the inlet of air. I put a tiny cone filter on a 5efe and got 130ftlbs of torque, similar to a 4efte

• 2 months later...

Defo do it ive built a 4efe and had outstanding efects blew my mates 106gti and saxo vts to pieces i work in an engine shop any questions on buildn a 4efe give me a text on 07783954868 im stil on standard management at 131bhp on 1 dyno and 133.4 on another,nt on here much any questions feel free to text me.cheers.