makes me sick!!

He should have more mate. Think what footballers get, and I know this went around on FB, but I always thought of it before. It's not due to serving our country in Iraq, but if some war breaks loose over here, these guys have to literally defend our country.

If that happened though, I would join.

I'm glad you see what I'm saying. It's more towards the men who just join 'willy nilly'. Rather then taking a step back and thinking about what they're really getting into.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my bad Gaz man, i misinterpreted what u meant.

they should maybe be given ALL the facts before they sign on the dotted line, but then i guess, in any theatre of operations, the facts can change by the day or indeed by the hour.

i nearly joined the RAF when i was younger, was offered Fighter Controller but turned it down. watching alot of the WW2 movies in all their gory detail, and having been to many of the French and Belgian (and even the odd German) site, I often wonder would I have been able to take it, to stick it, to keep going, to even put one foot in front of the other. I was at Pegasus Bridge again last year, the first place where the RUR landed in the gliders in the early hours of D-Day, and even looking at what they had to do simply as their first objective of the day made me think "yikes, could i have done this".

I stood near Point Du Hoc (sp?) where the American Rangers had to climb the sheer cliff face on D-Day whilst under fire, and its nuts, there's just no way i'd have had the fortitude. That cliff is 100% vertical.

thats why when i go to those places it strikes a deep chord of meaning for me. I find every site and every cemetery incredibly moving. And thats me just seeing the manicured, mowed lawn and planted flowers version of what those men went through, not the mud and bodies and craters.

Then, being a member of the ATC here in NI, every year we would march with the British Legion and the army and sea cadets and BB to the cenitaph in Larne for the laying of wreaths for WW1, WW2, and all the actions, and a brother and sister from the town who lost their Police Officer father to the troubles here would also lay a wreath every year for their dad - this was something, as a cadet, that I was damn proud to be a part of.

If all i can do is be silent for a few minutes a year, to go to Ranville cemetery up the road from Pegasus Bridge and lay flowers for a fallen friend of our family as well as for some poor fellow who simply has an Unknown Solider headstone so that someone shows they remember that unknown man's actions and appreciates their sacrifice when there is no one else to lay flowers for that person, to visit some of the sites and try to take some of it in and understand at least some of what those men went through, and to pay my respects at those sites and cemeteries scattered across remote fields of Normandy, then it is the very least I can do, and its something I hope that I will be physically able to do for many years, even when my parents are no longer able to go back over to Ranville to do it.

My work did not observe a silence on Thursday, apparently they dont normally, and this is something that has annoyed me greatly. I may take it up with the HR department one day, but by fuck, next year I'll be making a point of observing it myself by stopping what I'm doing whether anyone else bothers or not.

Phil.

It's a good thing that you can admit to yourself that it wasn't for you.

The wars in the past were not like they are now, it wasn't human at all.

I think it's good to see what you are doing Phil. I think most people don't really appreciate what people went through. I feel sad that we will probably live to see the remaining major war veterans die off. The next generation of England will be so thoughtless and ignorant that they probably won't even care about the world wars. That's how Britain is going now...

it wasn't that Military life wasnt for me dude, it was simply that Fighter Controller wasn't. I wanted to be a pilot and refused to settle for anything else. i did contemplate a couple of other RAF role options, but in the end, university called me.

i do those things because it is something that I experiences doing as a young kid. i went to many of the Normandy sites with my dad from the age of 10 or so. maybe younger, i dont recall. then i did a WW1 trip with the school. we have family friends in Normandy, and everytime we go over we try to get to Ranville cemetery to lay flowers for William Elliot, a Private with the 12th Bn Yorkshire Parachute Reg who died 12th June 1944 at the age of 20. His sister is a friend of my grandparents. she was unable to get to the grave site, so for years we have done it for her and sent her pictures. Then last year when we went, my mum asked my dad and I before we left to please lay some flowers on an unknown grave, a mark of respect and gratitude as no one else would be laying flowers for that fallen man. It was a request on her part that moved me greatly, and I got a pic or two of that too for her as she wasn't there.

3 of my great uncles were in WW2, one of whom flew in the Berlin airlift, and he and his brother were both in Burma. The third was wounded in the head by shrapnel in Normandy. My great grandfather was wounded in the leg in WW1 and the medics went to amputate the limb, only a German doctor who had been captured interrupted and said "no, i can save that leg", and he did. the thing about most wars is, the poor lads doing the shit day to day on BOTH sides, have no real desire to be there. in WW1 and WW2, the soldiers had no real malicious hatred of the other side (generally speaking), they were all there doing a job that they were told had to be done - germans included. hell, if u have seen the film Joyeaux Noel, its about the well known incident from WW1 when on Christmas day the English/French and germans all congregated in no-mans land and kicked football together. its simple facts like this that always make me wander over to the German headstones in the Normandy cemeteries too to acknowledge their presence. Many of those young men didnt want to be there either.

this burning of poppy wreaths is just something i cant stomach. i did watch the video, and all i have been able to think so far is, thank FUCK that didnt happen in Belfast. Had it, i think i'd be even more fucked about it and could have been driven to go into town to object to it in person with everyone else, rather than simply talk about the incident online.

i just dont understand some people.

Phil.

i agree wth alot of this, but then some of it i dont.

Dan- germany is not a well run country, its ful off immigrants aswell, all beit with german passports, but its full of turks, and now it wants rid of them, as 20 years ago, maybe more, they invited them all in, for work reasons.

Gaz- i agree, most of the infantry soldiers are nuggets, 90% of the people who joined from my area, are idiots, who would have failed the test to get on the dole, and dan, going on about they have to do loads of tests etc, i went and done them when i was younger, and you can be an idiot and still get in. and alot of the guys who went in when i was younger, are now out, either left after a few years, or discharged for failing drug tests.

i get the feeling tho, tfrom some of the replies in this thread, that some people believe england is the the only country in the british islands, and england this and england that, maybe thats on purpose, maybe not, but its one of the reason there is so many fallouts with scottish/english people, as english believe they are better, ther country is better, because of london, and london only.

oh, and on the original topic, if i was near any sort of demonstration like that, i dont even wanna think of the stuff i would have done/tried to do to any and everyone of them protestors.

Iddy- im assuming your "poppY" comment on facebook was aimed at your muslims friends who are against the poppy display, and not at british people who paid there dues to the fallen?

Lest We Forget.

Germany is a well run country mate, i was origionlly born in hannover in germany and lived there for 6 years, turks aint a problem mate, they work hard, so wot? None of this bullshit about benefits etc... they know what there doing over there, same as france and australia and alot of other countries.

surely the 90% of people in your area says alot?? :wub:

Ministry of defence arnt going to get joe bloggs who cant walk in a straight line or shit without having someone to wipe there arse, these guys must have been good enough to be accepted in to defending our country, things have changed alot recently in the last 10 years with entry requirements.

End of the day, i support anyone in the armed forces, there fighting for us and our future, wether there 'nugguts' or not, fair play.

Iddy- im assuming your "poppY" comment on facebook was aimed at your muslims friends who are against the poppy display, and not at british people who paid there dues to the fallen?

Yeah, some people on my Facebook were really annoying me with their status's, trying to explain why they think what happened was almost OK. I had a few discussions with some people, then put that as my status to piss them off :wub: and yeah these were Muslims people, so I was speaking in favour of the British.

I'll read all this thread tomorrow.

Germany is a good country, I can see both your points though.

I know a Turkish girl, she's one of the most intelligent and refreshing people I've met. If situations were different, I would gladly pick someone like her over any British girl. She does tell me most of the men there are pricks, which I kind of figured.

In fact I would say she's the best girl I've met.

Also Phil, yeh it's amazing, even more so through those times of war, the nations united them selves it was just the orders they were given.

surely the 90% of people in your area says alot?? :wub:

Ministry of defence arnt going to get joe bloggs who cant walk in a straight line or shit without having someone to wipe there arse, these guys must have been good enough to be accepted in to defending our country, things have changed alot recently in the last 10 years with entry requirements.

End of the day, i support anyone in the armed forces, there fighting for us and our future, wether there 'nugguts' or not, fair play.

i meant that the 90% of the ones who joined.

and yeh, liek said wether they are nuggets or not, they are still fighting for us, and if it wasnt for the fact that the recruiting officer checked my medical history and found out i had asthma, i would have been out there fighting aswell.

i get the feeling tho, tfrom some of the replies in this thread, that some people believe england is the the only country in the british islands, and england this and england that, maybe thats on purpose, maybe not, but its one of the reason there is so many fallouts with scottish/english people, as english believe they are better, ther country is better, because of london, and london only.

didnt think id say this but i agree with you for once!!

get fed up with pricks who sit and think england is better than everyone bla bla bla some people honestly do forget that Britain is a group of countries NOT JUST ENGLAND! Im not saying your not allowed to be proud and love your country but some people just take the piss!

sorry for the late reply to this thread as have been out all weekend.

i played basketball with a boy who's brother died out in iraq (james prosser), you may have seen some stuff on the news about him, because his mum went on 'question time' and absolutely slated all the politicians on there, to which none of them could answer any of her questions about the war.

if your from southwales or local, or even watch CNN (possible lol) you may have seen her on there too, the lad who was blown up, his family where on a holiday, and they all wrote letters to their dead son/brother, and put them in a bottle, which was found by the bp workers cleaning up the oil spill not so long ago.

britain are in a war that they shouldnt even be in, because of that stupid mong george bush

and for them to burn poppies is disgusting, race and religion has nothing to do with it, just sad individuals

EDIT: also i'd have to disagree with the england vs the rest of britain, this probably just stems from sports because we all do it, rugby for example, wait til the 6 nations, you'll see what i mean. like my dad says, 'i support anyone who plays england'

Actually back throughout the course of time, Britain actually meant England, so England actually done a favour for the surrounding countries, England has a right to feel powerful and everyone is envious of it. It should be embraced, England have done the world too many favours and they are hated for it. Most countries dislike England.

Which goes back to the wars and the comments above. England had to fight during the war, we was doing all these favours again. But we couldn't have won without America, we wasn't jsut fighting Germany. The same if for America now, our combat effectiveness is better than theirs, in a way we owe them, in a way we don't.

But America chose to do this and I wouldn't mind betting some of this has been caused on purpose. Maybe for ease of oil and fuel or something... who knows.

If they are UK Citizens - (some) jailtime.

If they are not UK Citizens - hometime.

The whole idea about the UK is if something annoys us, WE VOTE! If they want to live in the dark ages there are plenty of rocks to crawl under elsewhere.

The gvt needs to grow a pair, putting up with this ranks up there with "not shooting at pirates".

I personally have no problem with other nationalities, religions (as long as they control their minority nutters, and I mean ALL religions) and ethnicities moving into the UK as long as everyone "mixes in" (less of the enclaves, we dont need more devision thanks) has something POSITIVE to contribute, speaks english (and/or Irish/Scots/Welsh as required!), and behaves.

Actually back throughout the course of time, Britain actually meant England, so England actually done a favour for the surrounding countries, England has a right to feel powerful and everyone is envious of it. It should be embraced, England have done the world too many favours and they are hated for it. Most countries dislike England.

Which goes back to the wars and the comments above. England had to fight during the war, we was doing all these favours again. But we couldn't have won without America, we wasn't jsut fighting Germany. The same if for America now, our combat effectiveness is better than theirs, in a way we owe them, in a way we don't.

Sorry to tell ya but for one i aint jealous of england and dont know anyone who is, im Scottish and proud of it!! and just remember it wasnt just england doing as you said, a favour to america in afgan etc. I have family & friends in the army aswell as other armed forces who have served and some died for the ground me stand on and they were scottish!!

Well im not often interested in this stuff. but pushing the bar on burning a poppy.. wtf.

I dont really have a fuss with muslim's.. i have friends of all race & religion, colour doesnt make a difference

if your a w*nker your a w*nker irespect of colour. you get bad people everywhere that would love to watch the world burn just for the hell of it.

99% people want happyness.. love.. blahblah you know the wants in life.

no one wants hurt pain death's

forget the tosspots that are like that. im not tarring anyone with any brush!

I have GREAT respect for what the army do.. put their life on the line for basicly a salary just less than mines.(which is pennies)

these are the people who keep our country safe. if you have a relation or family member in the army..

tell them from Captain love - Respect, your alright in my book!

These hooligans need sorted out and the only way i see that is putting them in a room with Fritzel.

Love. xXx

what i cant believe is how much media coverage these idiots get, its like they got a deal with the newspaper or something.

they shouldn't even print stuff like this. i guess it makes money though and they do anything money nowadays. This is what fuels them in wanting these stupid stunts again. if everyone ignored them, the media the people there what would they do? they would get nothing out of it.

its exactly the same bunch of morons as well, why cant the police just put a tall barrier in front of them and box them in behind it, so no one can see what their doing so know one cares. or "accidentally" gas them with some kind of knock out gas...................... list goes on.

Thats takes the piss !, These extreamist are of absolutly no use to this country what so ever, so why are they here, I agree with what many of you have said, if they dont like this country then f**k off back to your own.

Gets me frustrated that the goverment pay for these sort of twats to stay here and do this sort of stuff (cant say for certin that this particular gang of extreamists live off benifits but ya'know), and its not just other nationalitys or religions, its the UK's own people aswell, they get to much of an easyride living off the money that other hard working people pay in taxes.

If you've got a baby and a drug habit, your sorted for life. And that, sadly, is becoming a harsh truth, atleast thats what me and many others from my area are seeing.

this goverment really need to have a re-think about there prioritys, ironic that cutting police spending and increasing uni fees leeds to masive riots from students and no police to control the situation, seemed like a bit of a look in to the future to me ! ! !

This country is home to many great people from many different nationalitys and religions, but it really is becoming a worse place to live ! have this conversation at least 3 times a week with people who feel exactly the same, just thought i'd share with you guys seen as we were all being grown ups lol