yeh i was just thinking while ive got the engine out like thinner head gasket n go from there lol

just see what i can do that wont cost me a bomb lol

are fte cams the same or are they diff?

hi,

If you looking to get some extra power from the 4e; and are resonably confident with working on your car. Have a look at this thread on the micra forum :)

This guy uses D.I.Y methods to get some quite impressive results from his little 1.3.

All his results are recorded accuratley using a dyno pack.

http://www.micra.org.uk/threads/40439-quot...t....by-EBBdude.

^ Also have a look at his other thread on the 1.0 L micra, they are more basic but he still gets good results

yep the engine would be better for the strip. by opening out the combustion chamber and putting high spek pistons in. which would make for horride cruise economy and runnig. the problem coms with the low angled opposed cams making for a wedge shape combustion chamber the exuast valves only flow at around 60%. The 4a head has the pent shape with 60 degree cams a better head. bigger valves could go in as the coolant jackets in the 4e head are very good.

cams are hard to get but will improve torque and power range. a thinner head gasket is always the way forward as this is the weakest link in any engines, this is wat kills most engines. the thicker the weaker as a rule. you have to remeber that this is a 1.3 so 100ps is very good, and power to wight is very good, the 4efte manifold and throttle body are the way to go as thy are good not to restrict booste presure so shurly the best for a N/A not to hit peak flow, play with the air induction a inclosed filter with a long induction pipe to throttle will help bring back som of the lost low down torque.

if you want power thn the exhaust is the first place to start get a custom side exit. makes the car lighter and flows good cause its short. the corrola has a 4-2-1 standard factory which is a improvment on the starlet. but still a long way off the best.

i think you mean a shorter intake pipe with enclosed filter will improve low end, longer makes the pick up much slower! also which 4efe corolla has a 4-2-1 as standard i have never found this? the obly one i ever found was the 7afe corolla!!

i think i need to get mine on the rollers again!!

Rob

^Rob I think it's the Gen 1 4efe that have a 421 Exhaust mani

That Micra thread is crazy! Maad skills! :)

Indeed. People take notice!

If the same mods where done to the 4efe, even the simple ones like the inlet spacer, advanced timing, cam gear adjustment and the usual breathing mods. Plenty of people would be seeing 100+ at the fly

no a longer intake runner will cause the air to flow faster at low rpms. you can test this with a mono meter, and if you get to much vac at low rpms thn put a plenum chamber volume to suite wat u are aiming for, and test points in the inlet track. turbos (forced induction) and N/A are totaly different from the tunners point of veiw, I would say that if you want big power for cheap thn bolt a turbo on. but N/A are much harder to get power gains from so if you can push power up by quite a bit thn you get more credit as a engine tunner. if it was me i would go 5e and thn tune that engine, or 4age. the corola i have is a 93 spec 4efe and it had a 4-2-1 mani on, cast standard factory i fitted it to lees starlet (redz11) but have done work on mibbs corrola and he also has 1 on and his is much earlyer i think.

do not put turbo cams on a N/A as a rule as thy normally have less duration to reduce valve over lap as it is not needed with forced induction, but i have yet to compear the 2 toyota starlet cams.

Indeed. People take notice!

If the same mods where done to the 4efe, even the simple ones like the inlet spacer, advanced timing, cam gear adjustment and the usual breathing mods. Plenty of people would be seeing 100+ at the fly

yep you are right fella, the skyes the limmit, factory are aiming for a certain power range so this can be changed, improved on and this all depends on wat you want to use it for fast road, rally, race or strip. do not just look at peak torque and hp but the power band or range. this is wer things like i-vetec coms in with a 3 stage cam timing. this is why i lov thm N/A tunning is proper tunning. and all things com into it like balanced and lightend engine parts for a higher stable rpm. yesterdays race engines are todays road engines.