turbo it? :) lol nah theres loads you can do it all depends how much money you wanna spend (throw away) or how far you want to take it.

With n/a you need high compression with ITB's and ported/polished head and some meaty cams for the best performance

my cars started burning oil so im gna rebuilt it when i get the funds :)

just wondering what i could do to get abit of extra power of out it while ive got it stripped?

cheers :)

Abit pointless IMO

Exhaust, filter, inlet mani, exhaust mani and an emanage may get you 100-105hp ish ?

5efe with above mods maybe 110-115hp if your lucky and it will still be slow

4age (silvertop = expensive and awkward swap)

4age (blacktop = as above but 50% more of both)

then you have the option of ITBs or bike carbs etc however expensive and will never be "fast" only ever nippy for a 1.3

IMPO a 4efte would be cheaper, more powerful, less work and have cheaper daily running costs as turbos are better on fuel when not driven hard.

If you do want to tune n/a be prepared to pay alot of money for not alot of power, even alot of honda boys who tune N/A are let down with paying a few grand for 50% gains, horrible daily drivers and due to the fact they run high comp and rev to the moon which affect reliability

all in my opinion ofcourse

haha if only i could afford insurance :) lol

so a thinner head gasket 2 get higher compression? lol

would any fte bits fit 2 make more power? lol

Thinner gasket

High comp pistons

mega headwork

cams etc etc and be lucky to get anywhere neer 150, i meen look at Jams 5efe N/A starlet, keep up with a stock RX7 yes however a 4efte with basic mods would do same for alot less money and more economicly

im only looking at little bits neways lol id b happy with like 90 bhp because i dont wana spend loads lol rarther just do little bits 2 get abit more untill i can afford 2 insure it turbod :)

Throw a exhaust mani, corolla inlet, cat back, de-cat, decent filter on and call it a day before you throw and more money into something your going to regret doing once youve felt a turbo build boost

to be fair mate know one on here can actually tell what the 4efe can do as no one has properly tunned one. most people will say that there is no point in tunning as you wont get over this amount of bhp, what i would like to know is how do they know they havent tunned a 4efe. hell alot of the people that say dont do it havent even drove a 4efe, they are just going off what they have read or heard from other people.

on the other 4efe tunning thread there is a guy who has 133 bhp on his 4efe with pretty basic engine mods and standard ecu and cams i have a list of his mods and from talking to him he says that i will be able to get a good bit more than him with the mods im doing so that just shows that you can get the power from them.

for n/a tunnig you actually have to sit down and think about what you will need to do to get power much unlike the turbo tunning were you just say lets turn up the boost.

thats just my opinon tho and i will prob get shouted at for it

to be fair mate know one on here can actually tell what the 4efe can do as no one has properly tunned one. most people will say that there is no point in tunning as you wont get over this amount of bhp, what i would like to know is how do they know they havent tunned a 4efe. hell alot of the people that say dont do it havent even drove a 4efe, they are just going off what they have read or heard from other people.

on the other 4efe tunning thread there is a guy who has 133 bhp on his 4efe with pretty basic engine mods and standard ecu and cams i have a list of his mods and from talking to him he says that i will be able to get a good bit more than him with the mods im doing so that just shows that you can get the power from them.

for n/a tunnig you actually have to sit down and think about what you will need to do to get power much unlike the turbo tunning were you just say lets turn up the boost.

thats just my opinon tho and i will prob get shouted at for it

Everyones entitled to an opinion

Im with you there alot arent aware and know very little, however i dont bileave 133bhp on a 4efe with basic mods, very inacurate dyno or tapped brakes on run down ? doing this made my mates 106 rallye make close to 145bhp on pretty much stock engine, maybe with cams/headwork and big revs etc it would make close but still doubtful

Look at JAMs 5efe which only made 150bhpish and that had a loooooooong spec list and they do know what im doing.

ive not tuned a 4efe however i have driven one and tbh they drive horribly compared to other N/As such as the awsome 4age :)

Again only my opinion

Because it's a 1.3 ffs!

You can tune it all you want, you could spend thousands on it, but it will still be a small torqueless engine.

The 4EFE is a great little engine, there's no denying it, but it's not a performance engine.

they guy has print outs from 2/3 diffrent dynos and all are within 2/3 hp of each other.the guy works in a engine shop, and seems to keep his car in good nick,

but you will find that 4efte are also a horrible car to drive compared to many other turbo,d cars but people still bother with them.

i have driven alot of cars with my work alot of them high end cars and i can honestly say that i would rather drive my 4efe anyday

Because it's a 1.3 ffs!

You can tune it all you want, you could spend thousands on it, but it will still be a small torqueless engine.

The 4EFE is a great little engine, there's no denying it, but it's not a performance engine.

how are they torqueless my first 4efe had 111 flb of torque and 84 bhp that was with a air filter and back box thats more torque than a 1.6 mx5

yep joel you right thy have lots of torque and in all honisty som of the things im reading about hondas is a loud of tosh.

thinner head gasket .7 trd but you will have to check running clearences of engine internals. put the 4efte inlet mani and throttle body on the corrola 4e injectors, a fuel presure reg, a good race complet exhaust. a stage 2 head porting and polish + work around the exhaust valves in the combustion chamber, ive headr the 5e cams have more lift, not to sure how much but im getting a set soon. lightenend fly wheel + front pully, can go bigger valves but will effect low down torque and ps, and a plate inbetween the crank and sump the name i cant quite think of at the min, lol are but a phew mods that will bring very nice gains, thn thr is the ignition system, msd dis 2 would make for nice throttle respons but only for the dis less ignition systems. but first recon the engine, so you know you are starting at standard power.

yep joel you right thy have lots of torque and in all honisty som of the things im reading about hondas is a loud of tosh.

thinner head gasket .7 trd but you will have to check running clearences of engine internals. put the 4efte inlet mani and throttle body on the corrola 4e injectors, a fuel presure reg, a good race complet exhaust. a stage 2 head porting and polish + work around the exhaust valves in the combustion chamber, ive headr the 5e cams have more lift, not to sure how much but im getting a set soon. lightenend fly wheel + front pully, can go bigger valves but will effect low down torque and ps, and a plate inbetween the crank and sump the name i cant quite think of at the min, lol are but a phew mods that will bring very nice gains, thn thr is the ignition system, msd dis 2 would make for nice throttle respons but only for the dis less ignition systems. but first recon the engine, so you know you are starting at standard power.

wow didnt realise how much of a debate id cause :) lol

ull have to let me know if them 5e cams make a diff lol

yeh i was just thinking while ive got the engine out like thinner head gasket n go from there lol

just see what i can do that wont cost me a bomb lol

are fte cams the same or are they diff?

Throw a exhaust mani, corolla inlet, cat back, de-cat, decent filter on and call it a day before you throw and more money into something your going to regret doing once youve felt a turbo build boost

Where do you get exhaust manifold from didnt think they did any?

yep the engine would be better for the strip. by opening out the combustion chamber and putting high spek pistons in. which would make for horride cruise economy and runnig. the problem coms with the low angled opposed cams making for a wedge shape combustion chamber the exuast valves only flow at around 60%. The 4a head has the pent shape with 60 degree cams a better head. bigger valves could go in as the coolant jackets in the 4e head are very good.

cams are hard to get but will improve torque and power range. a thinner head gasket is always the way forward as this is the weakest link in any engines, this is wat kills most engines. the thicker the weaker as a rule. you have to remeber that this is a 1.3 so 100ps is very good, and power to wight is very good, the 4efte manifold and throttle body are the way to go as thy are good not to restrict booste presure so shurly the best for a N/A not to hit peak flow, play with the air induction a inclosed filter with a long induction pipe to throttle will help bring back som of the lost low down torque.

if you want power thn the exhaust is the first place to start get a custom side exit. makes the car lighter and flows good cause its short. the corrola has a 4-2-1 standard factory which is a improvment on the starlet. but still a long way off the best.

Where do you get exhaust manifold from didnt think they did any?

Not for the 4efe allthough you could have one made for decent money ~300 is reasonable

or use an ebay 5efe jobby

(before anyone says ~300 is expensive thats what i meen about N/A tunning be expensive for the gain, plus 300 is cheap compared to good make N/A manifolds ie Toda, Spoon etc)

I had the same as Ryan but without a decat and OBX mani, I made 0.1bhp less

My advice is have a go in a fte, that will definitely make your mind up on whether you wanna spend more on the NA engine or just save for a turbo! :)