Car insurance lottery!

Just went onto elephant as my renewal is due in just a couple of months now.. Well was having trouble getting a decent quote for the GT..

Got all my mods declared and last year my insurance was just under £1000 fully comp when i was 19 and had 2 years no claims bonus.. Well been searching for decent renewal prices and it had gone up by over £300.. So now at 20 with 3 years ncb it will be £1300.. And i've phoned so many companies and elephant are still the cheapest for me even though they've increased it...

If i was to un-insure all the mods though it drops the price right down under £600 :p... Kept going through it online to check I was doing everything right and I've made no mistakes elephant are basically trying to charge me £700 to insure an Exhaust, Coilovers, Dump valve and a Mushroom filter!!

I've been thinking about selling the Starlet in the new year (now) anyway so it's not just the insurance prices that are making me think this but just fancy a change and something a little bit bigger...

Always had a thing for integra's and have been looking at DC2's... Well thought I'd give it ago trying to insure a DC5 for a laugh.. no insurances companies will touch me apart from Elephant who will insure me on a 2003 DC5 integra Type-R for £1207.53.. Again I kept punching it in over and over again as thought I was making a mistake.. But it's all correct what I've put...

Gonna phone Elephant up when i get a chance and have a chat about it to make sure.. But if it all comes back ok i may actually just sell up and get a DC5...

But still thinking something is wrong to be honest...

Does anyone else think car insurance companies are like Lottery companies that just pick numbers out of hats haha :)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

on my last civic coupe (b18) elephant quoted me £1600 quid for a 19 yo with 0 ncb i was like cant complain since civics are a killer on insurance just for the name lol done it on confused.com to get it and bought it right away went and got car all was going well then called up to list a few mods so everything was above board they asked for my d.o.b i gave it to them they told me it was wrong..... asked my job told them came up as wrong.... turns out something had messed up between confused and elephant and elephant had me down as a 36yo with 9 years ncb and had me down as a lorry driver spoke to ladie on phone they wouldnt even quote me under 5k for the civic and i was then stuck at work ( 50 miles from my house) with a car and no insurance wasnt happy lol

so ya just make sure u call and make sure all the details they have for u are right cause i then had a rush calling round companys trying to get insurance and ended up having to pay stupid money for the car till i could sell it

Some insurance companies are doing some awesome deals at the moment, including Admiral and Elephant. However these 'special offers' aren't available to pay monthly, so make sure you have the cash up front!

Shaun, that sounds like a nightmare mate :)

Some insurance companies are doing some awesome deals at the moment, including Admiral and Elephant. However these 'special offers' aren't available to pay monthly, so make sure you have the cash up front!

Shaun, that sounds like a nightmare mate :)

Yeah i always pay annually just like to get it payed off and done with.. Will phone them up tomorrow i think

i did a quote for this year with BELL., 21 age, 3 ncb, came to £670 with wheels, echaust/manifold, lowered, and 20% engine increase.

At the momemt im paying £900 with no mods lol with them,

the reason i wont use elephant, admiral ect is when you declare all your mods they charge you more BUT if you crash you dont get the parts replaced.

i remember reading in a car mag a few years ago a guy had a celica with coileys, alloys and a few other bits. anyways he stuffed it on the front drivers side corner and the insurance company repaired the car with standard parts even though the parts were declared. so the guy got his car back with one corner completly standard!

so if your cars not standard pay a little bit extra and go to a like for like insurance company! :)

im kina lucky then, ive got a defender county sw, and it costs me £209 fully comp, its class, yet when i sold my 330bhp starlet, which was insured fully declared, i now have a corsa C 1.8 SRI and the policy is exact same as starlet, i just had to pay an admin fee.

the average insurance quote this year is going up by around 46% for guys under 25 its been in the news lately alot and even watchdog did a big piece about it

^^^ Man speaks sense! Mine has gone up also, im nearly 28 with 9 years NCD and mine has still gone up, phoned them up and they said that basically ALL insurance will be going up in price! Mine has only gone up about £60 but still up :) If you get no increase or just a small increase then i think your doing well :p

Jason :p

i did a quote for this year with BELL., 21 age, 3 ncb, came to £670 with wheels, echaust/manifold, lowered, and 20% engine increase.

At the momemt im paying £900 with no mods lol with them,

Had to lol at 20% engine increase, try 100% for yours :)

But yea I fucking hate insurance, on a better note my ban will be off my lisence this summer so thats a clean sheet again :p

thats the problem with imports, they can charge what they like.

im paying £600 fully comp with another driver on the poicy aswell from Aviva. not looking forward to getting the renewal in April as everyone saying its going up. defo going to do some shopping around

i cant get touch but insurance companies now. no idea why. im 19, had my licence for 19 months and cant even get a quote under 3k for the gt with no mods declared :/. bell gave me a half decent quote back in november but they wanted 1000 excess to quote me 1700, when now i try retrieve it it jumps up too 3k. its a fucking joke !!!

i cant get touch but insurance companies now. no idea why. im 19, had my licence for 19 months and cant even get a quote under 3k for the gt with no mods declared :/. bell gave me a half decent quote back in november but they wanted 1000 excess to quote me 1700, when now i try retrieve it it jumps up too 3k. its a fucking joke !!!

give Aviva ago. thats the last company i tried and they could do fully comp for £600. im 22, with 4NCBs though, but might be worth a try. good luck

give Aviva ago. thats the last company i tried and they could do fully comp for £600. im 22, with 4NCBs though, but might be worth a try. good luck

just been onto elephant. me as main driver with 3 named drivers, 1683 fully comp. with 1000 excess. no mods declared yet though.

my renewals coming up end of jan, where shall i try for other quotes

then? do you think it will go up for me as im a girl or not?

have u tried sky?

my renewals coming up end of jan, where shall i try for other quotes then? do you think it will go up for me as im a girl or not?

sky, Aviva, Adrian Flux, NFU, Bell, Swinton, Tiger insurance, Brentacre,

sky, Aviva, Adrian Flux, NFU, Bell, Swinton, Tiger insurance, Brentacre,

all those are probably the best companies you could go for.

also. aviva cannot provide me with a quote for some reason ;)

all those are probably the best companies you could go for.

also. aviva cannot provide me with a quote for some reason ;)

you may have to phone up. i did in the end as my reg kept coming up as different cars everytime i did a quote!