Steering wheel vibration

I've got a vibration upwards of 70 and a lightness upwards of around 20-30 i thought it due to the wheels being buckled so replaced them this has massively improved the vibration which used to start around 40 and i think its only still there becuase in my rush to get out of work i forgot to balance 1 of the front wheels lol. but theres still this problem with lightness in the steering I've checked for play but cant find non i know the shockers are knackered and the springs are old so they will be next to go. Does anyone else have any ideas maybe from experience? i was thinking tracking and bottom arms aswell. let me know if anyone else has this problem?

Thanks

Stu :)

Would say its a unbalanced wheel dude, or maybe even a out of shape tyre.

If theres no play in any suspension joints then i would say balancing will solve the problem.

Wont be alignment/tracking though as it would be pulling if that was out.

• 6 months later...

My steering is the same. I have standard alloys on my ep91 as bellow and driving long i get a vibration at 60mph+ and the steering feels very light at, times espically when i go over un-even parts on the road it feels like the car wobbles and if i hit small lumps of tar etc on the road. It almost feels the car could go anywhere to be honest.

The tyres are good enough condition but have NOT got the car lowered yet so its sitting like a scared cat at the moment but really want to get this fixed as im doing alot of travelling with the car like this and need it sorted asap PLEASE!!!

Also no clicking in steering etc + had 2 new front shocks replaced not long ago!!

DSC01494.jpg

Defiantly get your wheels balanced dude, even the slightest difference between the two front wheels will have a vibrating effect. Also as stated above new tyres also feel unusual and can cause small vibrations so if you put the two together, its going to effect it a fair bit.

Id get them balanced and go from there. :)

Thanks Matt,

Well tyres are good enough yet but going to be putting on a set of wet tyres as where i live its rain 24/7 possibly 360 days out of 365 its that bad lol.. A good dry warm day is like a holiday :p but thanks mate will defo get that done..

One thing that goes unchecked is the track rod and track rod ends, or possibly a worn wheel bearing. I had a similar issue on my old SR, replaced all the suspension, bottom ball joints, had new tyres fitted, balancing done etc. All work completed I still had same issue, so started to investigate further until I found that one of the track rods was worn causing the wheel to have a small amount of play equating to the vibrating issue. Hope this helps

D

A good post here too! These are alot of the time not even though of when this type of thing occurs. Do you not think it would be slightly more obvious if it was the track rod /rod end as it would most likely cause a distinctive clunking noise when cornering or going over a pothole/speedbump?

A good post here too! These are alot of the time not even though of when this type of thing occurs. Do you not think it would be slightly more obvious if it was the track rod /rod end as it would most likely cause a distinctive clunking noise when cornering or going over a pothole/speedbump?

Not necessarily, only slight wear could cause the symptoms but no noticable noises, nothing you could hear over the noises you usually get in a starlet lol

D

haha, fair point :p

I forgot i have to take in to consideration the noise of a starlet first o.0

Lol. I thought that at first, i'm very anal about my cars and notice very slight differences in anything lol. Didnt notice any noises, but was overlooked till I sat down and had a good think. Plus, something so little would be hard to hear over the usual thumps that these cars produce lol. Not the most comfortable to own lol

D

Lol. I thought that at first, i'm very anal about my cars and notice very slight differences in anything lol. Didnt notice any noises, but was overlooked till I sat down and had a good think. Plus, something so little would be hard to hear over the usual thumps that these cars produce lol. Not the most comfortable to own lol

D

You see thats what I love about my glanza. You can feel and hear everything!!

Haha brilliant posts lol but havent really noticed too much noise only not very much sound proofing so sounds like your going 100mph at about 40/50 but a BIG BIG down i find with the car has to be the suspension.. NEEDS LOWERED big time.. Having owned a 1.6 Vtech CIVIC before having to drop in power :p you definatly miss a lowered car with strut brace's etc..

In saying all that think ill get new tyres and balanced 1st to see if thats the prob then work from there, But this site is awesome for info and feed back.. CHEERS TO EVERYONE WHO'S HERE TO HELP :p

defo put it on wheel balancing as happend to me went to a backstreet garage to balance my wheels using this bog standard machine drove the car was vibrating to fuck straight away thought wheels been balanced uncorrectly went back and tried them again said they were BANG on, so thought fuck it went to revolution tunning garage they balanced them and said were MILES out i knew it so drove the starbo and job done no vibration in the steering wheel! went back to that garage and got me coin back :p so yea take it some were good! tbh i thought any garage could do it but yea totally wrong so avoid places like that kwick fit etc etc