*Panel filter vs Cone filter*

Hi guys ive asked a few uksc boiz about this but thought id get some more opinions. Was goin to get a new air filter but unsure what to get.? Theres a few choices (for my sportif n/a 98)

Either a panel filter and airbox or cone filter.?

1. K&n panel filter

2. Blitz panel filter

3. Some type of cone filter

if i went for a panel filter would replacing the efi plastic pipe to aluminium make a diff.? If yes would i need silicone hose to hold the pipe in or.?

I know there isnt going to be a big difference but which one would make the biggest performance difference.? Also which would be best economicaly/performance.?

Thanks in advance guys :p

How would i get a cold intake to panel filter pal if its in airbox.? Cheers buddy

open your airbox up. there will be an oem intake (otherwise where does it get its air from?)

replace that with something a bit bigger, and put the other end where there will be a lot of air intake.

front grill, fog light, etc etc.

a tip ive read before, is copy something from a b series honda engine. as aparently the n/a engines are the same as the b series, just mirrored (but i dont know how true that is).

If you get a decent enough supply of cold air then a cone is better IMO, just look at jamies ep (starlet Sportif) he managed 90bhp on an engine with 120k on it and he's using a cone.

stock airbox for the win, ul fuck up part throttle responce and little torque low down if you just wap a cone on for the sake of 1+bhp up top

so eather standard filament or k&n

bmw closed induction kit is the best option all round if you have the cash

OEM intake system is full of win as Geo said.

leave it alone. fit a K&N panel filter and leave the intake pipe and box be! toyota most likely spent due time and effort on designing it to work appropriately, from chats I've had with Jay, they wont have designed it to be shit. so, maximise on their research and development efforts, fit an uprated panel and be done.

also, i think Geo meant BMC closed induction kit, and yes i agree, if u have the funds, the BMC Carbon Dynamic Airbox systems are uber.

Phil.

I had a pipercross cone on the standard intake and it lost bottom end and lost part throttle response as people have said, then i went for a BMC copy, (the plastic BMC one) and the difference was alot better, next plan is to order a carbon BMC and put the intake towards the bottom of the bay with the airbox at the top. this should hopefully be the best of both worlds.

Sorry joz didnt mean to right will these fit but which ones better :)

There was no need to apologise mate lol :)

Completely your preference, the TRD, Blitz, K&N are all decent.

Nobody can really choose for you.

Joz

yep as said above mate, cone filters are a bit of a gimik and cheap 1s do not filter very well either!!. go pannel and drill out the bottom of the air box + cold air feed

what do ya mean by drill out bottom of airbox + cold air feed pal.?

get a hole saw for the drill and under the filter part of the box brill holes wer u can get to it from engine bay, thn use flxi air ducting heat resistan stuff, can get it off air conditioning sites, this will bring in cold air from the front of the car direct it at the holes, the key to this is to keep it as short as poss and limmet the bends try to keep thm under 45 deg. try to keep the intake of the feed up off the floor (dirty and damp air!!!). i would use a small bonnet scoop which sits fat like the fiest rs.

and direct the cold air in from thr as the bonnet has a large surface area and will supply a nice clean air feed. the civic group m induction kits are a better idea but body fabrication is needed, but not that hard.