Toyota Starlet 5E SR (wrc corolla replica)

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

ok update on today proceedings:

had a bad day today, firstly the weather has been dreadful, went to put up the gazebo i borrowed off my dad, wen i opened the bad it was just a bag of sides :@ proper let down, so had to go buy one.

anyway got a gazebo up. then noticed that were the worm drive should go is a digital output, so that delayed us.

then when comparing engine mounts noticed 2 were different, so had to change them over however couldnt change one as couldnt get bottom crank pulley off to take the plastic cover off to get to a bolt!

so yeh anyway engine is in on 2 engine mounts,

hopefully things will go better 2morrow

• 2 weeks later...

ok update,

so got the engine in and everything plugged up.

just want to check, is there anyway of checking the bottom half of the engine is timed up right with the top half without having to remove the crank pulley?(mainly because it wont come off its on there fairly tight and in trying to get it off just concerned it may not be right)

Exactly, that won't happen. To check the top, remove the cambelt cover and look at the hole next to the 5E mark in the cam pulley. Mark that up with the top indent on the engine. Sorry for the poor description, I'm half asleep. This explains better:

2006-02-12_224141_92_paseo_1.5_Dohc_3.gif

update checked the timing , it was about 3 teeth out as we thought. so sorted it and low and behold...... SHE LIVES :):)

however theres quite a serious vibration giong through the car, think a mount might not be right so gonna take a look when the weather improves .

• 2 weeks later...

it LIVES!!!

after many long weeks of rain rain and more rain, finally got some motivation with this sunny weather to finish off the transplant.

It wasnt as straight a swap as i would of liked, there were a few problems and things needed swapping from one engine to another these being :- side engine mount, gearbox mount, gear linkage mounts, solenoid, thermostat housing and the throttle body

other issues i had were that the throttle cable is slightly too long (still trying to figure out how to solve this)

but took it for a test drive yesterday and it seems to run perfectly, feels much more responsive than the 4E however i have been driving my mums 2.0 diesel picasso so anything will feel responsive after driving that lol

anyway heres a few pics of the reasons why i needed to change certain things

Gear Linkage Mounts, Left is off 4E Box , Right is off 5E Box

6203167141_9a002ec7c4_z.jpg

Solenoid, the connections are different, Left is off 4E, Right is off 5E

6203684082_e080720f43_z.jpg

Side Engine Mount, Left is off the 5E, Right is off the 4E

6203685640_fc5ff72e46_z.jpg

sorry cant help on the idling issue, sounds like a sensor,

amazed at the differences for the gearbox cables, thats probs why i cant engage sixth gear on my na

also the gearbox mount being that different