New ToyoSports Manifold is blowing past gasket

Took my car for a spin today to test out the TD04 and i noticed im getting hardly any boost, turbo wasnt even beginning to spool up until nearly 4500rpm and even then it was nearly nothing.

Looked in the engine bay and can hear that the toyosports manifold i bought is blowing quite badly past the gasket, seems to be coming from number 4 and you can feel it when you rev it blowing.

Now when i fitted it i notice that the manifold didnt just slide straight onto the studs, it must have been machined slightly wrong as i had to use a hammer to tap it onto the studs to sit flush.

I also noticed gaps around the voids between each runner, i have included photos to show you, is this normal. What are the toyosports gaskets like, as no matter how tight i do it up, its still blowing from the bottom right number 4!

Gaps above

DSC01185.jpg

Gaps below

DSC01186.jpg

DSC01187.jpg

Now i dont think these voids actually have anything to do with it, but i just wanted to check as it looks a bit odd, im sure the old CT9 manifold gasket went over these.

Anyone else have problems with these toyosports manifolds?

Craig

do toyota do td04 gaskets ? i woulda thought youd need to go to scooby garage ?

Think he meant a Toyota gasket for manifold to head since that's where it's blowing.

As above though, I wouldn't have used those gaskets, I'd either try again with Toyota/Subaru gaskets or ask the company for a new kit cause you think the manifold is warped?

No problems with mine using Toyota and Subaru gaskets

the gaskets suplied with them are a waste of time mate! toyota 1s are the best, youl need the block to manifold 1 from toyota and the others from subaru, think tmd do them aswel. but ive also heard stories of the flanges on the toyo sports manifols being warped from manufacture so with getting them skimmed to being 100% flat there always going to blow.

Yeah thats what im worried about, it was a bit of a dodgy fit going on and i damaged a stud putting it on because it was so tight and had to replace it.

I think im gonna take it off, put a flat edge on it and then go from there, fuckin pain the god dam ass is what it is! I didnt think to check it before i fitted.

If its warped im sending the bloody thing back as i also noticed the Decat pipe was also machined wrong and i can only get two of the 3 bolts in at the moment so im gonna have to redrill it to make up for the tolerance inaccuracy.

Ok so i want a toyota gasket for the head to the manifold then, will get one on order.

the gaskets suplied with them are a waste of time mate! toyota 1s are the best, youl need the block to manifold 1 from toyota and the others from subaru, think tmd do them aswel. but ive also heard stories of the flanges on the toyo sports manifols being warped from manufacture so with getting them skimmed to being 100% flat there always going to blow.
out of interest how comes u went for the stainless mani by toyo and not mild steel? i want one of these manis 2 good luck with it mate hopefully just crappy gaskets

Think the place stopped making the mild steel ones for a while, though that might not be his reason!

As brad said, tuning developments do the td04 gaskets at a decent price

This is just what they sent me i didnt really specify, i didnt know they did mild steel, mild steel looks crap after a while anyway :lol:

out of interest how comes u went for the stainless mani by toyo and not mild steel? i want one of these manis 2 good luck with it mate hopefully just crappy gaskets
Yeah thats what im worried about, it was a bit of a dodgy fit going on and i damaged a stud putting it on because it was so tight and had to replace it.

I think im gonna take it off, put a flat edge on it and then go from there, fuckin pain the god dam ass is what it is! I didnt think to check it before i fitted.

If its warped im sending the bloody thing back as i also noticed the Decat pipe was also machined wrong and i can only get two of the 3 bolts in at the moment so im gonna have to redrill it to make up for the tolerance inaccuracy.

Ok so i want a toyota gasket for the head to the manifold then, will get one on order.

there crap quality fella, one of my mates got a ct9 decat and they had welded the lamba sensor lug directly in the way of 1 of the studs to the turbo so it was imposible to fit. your best bet mate is to spend abit more money on a wepr kit, thats what im running and it all fit spot on with no problems at all.

Yeah its a pain, i have spent the money on it from new so the bugger can replace it if its fooked, you can easily tell i havent driven it as its not turned blue or anything yet.

Cheap china crap probably :lol:

there crap quality fella, one of my mates got a ct9 decat and they had welded the lamba sensor lug directly in the way of 1 of the studs to the turbo so it was imposible to fit. your best bet mate is to spend abit more money on a wepr kit, thats what im running and it all fit spot on with no problems at all.
im now buying a wepr equal length ram horn kit from him daz u got pix in ya thread?

yea theres pics in there mate, mainly with heat wrap pn tho

and taggy they are cheap china crap, id get your money back and get a decent kit dude, be alot better quality and last alot longer!

as above id go for a good tryed and tested kit wepr/race-tech/zisco. all the ebay manis seem to either last forever or brake in the first 100 miles its a coin flip and IMO not worth risking your money on some cheap parts

I Got a Toyo Stainless Stell TD04 Mani and De-cat and i run 1.2 Bar Daily!

For £190 All in what do you expect lol as above guess i got the good side of the coin!

Although Bear in mind fella that:

Toyosports make the manifold

Subaru Make the Turbo

Toyosports Make the De-Cat

and HKS made my exhaust

Nothings ever going to fit 100%

Those manifolds are shite mate I bought the same one thinking stainless hmm must be ok but exactly the same as u it didn't sit flush onto the head and it started leaking within 300 miles. Problem I had is that my cars not my daily driver so it took over two months to do that milage and when it started leaking and I contacted them, the reply I got was "sorry we only warranty 2 months on our products, try fitting two gaskets that will seal it up"

So I bought two Toyota gaskets took the old one off and surly enough it was fucked, replaced it with the two new ones and it sealed it a treat, 100 miles later witch actually made the manifold 400 miles old it cracked!

Blokes a tosser send it back before it's to late mate

Well its bought through ebay with paypal so its insured i think if the sale goes tits up and he wont give me a refund. I think its within 2 months too

toyo, autobahn, japspeed MANIFOLDS= fail

buy once! buy the good gear...

fuck i bought it on the 16th feb!!

Well its bought through ebay with paypal so its insured i think if the sale goes tits up and he wont give me a refund. I think its within 2 months too

non OEM gaskets blow like fuck mate I've just had new ones on and they went straight away

my advice is buy an OEM toyota gasket. also when you take the mani off check the flat edge on the front i guarantee it wont be 100% flat. grab a flat file and make sure its nice and smooth dude. get a bit of sand paper on it too get all the bumps out :p

get all the mani surfaces skimmed and toyota/scoob gaskets then youll be fine... you said you keep tightening to try and stop it? how tight? mani to head is only meant to be 48nm and if youve over done it alot, it can crack the head..